• 0 thru 9
    [edit: adding longer description of what I’m referring to by the word “guidance”.
    Changed thread title to refer to “Metaphysical Guidance”, to help clarify the interior / psychological nature of the experience. I am attempting to describe a nebulous and evasive subject that might defy even vague description, let alone exact definition. This description is a work in progress, and will be updated here in this edit, and hopefully expanded further below in the comments.

Thanks for your input!

Metaphysical Guidance : the psychological experience of receiving some form of inspiration, help, or knowledge. Generally, this would be experienced as an interior mental event, but would not exclude a physical / material aspect, such as seeing an object as having a corresponding feeling that there might be some meaning present that could help one with the choices they are currently faced with.

Related terms: inspiration, intuition, conscience, insight, epiphany, illumination, instinct, unconscious (both personal and collective), peak experience.

/edit]

Guidance seems like a separate thing than Ethics when it comes to choosing our actions and establishing our will / intentions. Ethics being necessary and helpful, of course.
    (I’m still working on a definition of guidance, but this is a description... )

This is referring to a more “interior” or perhaps “metaphysical” definition of Guidance than
    reading an article or getting advice from a friend. (Though it might include such things).

What do you think is meant by the concept of “guidance”?

Is it similar to inspiration or intuition? Or could it be a form of instinct?

There is much writing about the subconscious (or unconscious) “speaking” to us. (See Jung).

Could there be any material or rational basis for giving the concept of guidance any credence? Or is it firmly in the religious / spiritual realm of beliefs, which seems to be a “take it or leave it” situation.

Any personal experiences with guidance? Is it a skill that can be improved with practice?
    Could it be a (temporary) surrender of the Self and Will to some other wisdom, power or energy?

These are just suggested questions to start the discussion. Feel free to add whatever you think
    relevant to the topic. Thanks!

(I’m attempting to keep the OP short and concise. I hope to later add a post with my own
    possibly imagined experiences and half-baked theories concerning Guidance lol.)

[edit to add quotes illustrating the concept of metaphysical guidance: ]

“In our dreams the ageless perils, gargoyles, trials, secret helpers, and instructive figures are nightly still encountered; and in their forms we may see reflected not only the whole picture of our present case, but also the clue to what we must do to be saved.”
    ― Joseph Campbell, The Hero With a Thousand Faces

“As Freud has shown, blunders are not the merest chance. They are the result of suppressed desires and conflicts. They are ripples on the surface of life, produced by unsuspected springs. And these may be very deep - as deep as the soul itself. The blunder may amount to the opening of a destiny.”
    ― Joseph Campbell, The Hero With a Thousand Faces

It's as if, behind a veil, a whisper suggests, there is some particular business you have in this time and place. Play nice ethics are fine for the mundane business of rubbing along, but perhaps you have a job to do for yourself or for another; creative or healing, for a moment or a lifetime.

It is a dangerous thought if one indulges it. But danger is nothing special either. Is one ever guided to give guidance? By whom? A friend.

If it is so, it will happen whether you chase it or flee from it, because it it comes from within.
    @unenlightened
  • Agent Smith
    I haven't done much traveling but I know of tourist guides - their prime directive, show people around a city, take them to culturally, historically, religiously, etc. significant spots/sights; it all boils down to giving visitors/tourists a good impression of the city by providing a representative sample of the best a city has to offer locals and visitors. Note, the dark underbelly is almost always not included in the tour; you could however ask, politely ( :wink: ), and maybe, just maybe, the guide could show you what the mayor doesn't want you to see, at your own risk mind you.

Mutatis mutandis, the above applies to all guides! Am I right? I do hope I am.
  • 0 thru 9
    Mutatis mutandis, the above applies to all guides! Am I right? I do hope I am.Agent Smith

Yes... I see what you are referring to, I think. An attempt to map some territory (however comprehensive) is potentially helpful. Even when the “territory” is a mental or theoretical landscape, so to speak. So in that case, something is better than nothing. Some knowledge or information is better than none when heading into unknown or tricky territory. (Assuming the info is at least on the quality level of say Wikipedia.)

But maybe on a “deeper” level (and thus murkier and more difficult to “pin down” or fully grasp), I wonder what are the internal (mental-emotional-spiritual etc) whisperings that allows us to implement the guidance of the written word. To prioritize and edit the sometimes avalanche of information (even the data contained within one single book).

Maybe our psyche has some kind of blueprint (for lack of a better word) that it consults. Then it considers the given information with regards to the situation and knows what to do with that data. Whether we follow our psyche’s (or conscience’s) advice is another matter all together! Just look at Pinocchio and Jiminy Cricket lol...

Thanks for your reply. :smile:
  • I like sushi
    Yes.

Not much more to add. Sorry.
  • T Clark

Seems like you are talking about conscience. Why do we need a new word when the old one works well?
  • 0 thru 9

Well, a subtle difference of words. I didn’t see any recent threads on conscience
    or guidance. But to me... the word conscience has a connotation of choosing between
    “right and wrong”. Which is a part of what I’m getting at, but also something that might
    be all-encompassing direction. Something that might inform all aspects of life. I need
    guidance, and lots of it! lol.

But that is just my take on it. If the concept of conscience covers it for someone, I could
    understand that.

Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy has an excellent article on
    conscience (of course)
    https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/conscience/

I’ll report back if my feelings on the subject charge after reading the whole thing...
  • unenlightened
    It's as if, behind a veil, a whisper suggests, there is some particular business you have in this time and place. Play nice ethics are fine for the mundane business of rubbing along, but perhaps you have a job to do for yourself or for another; creative or healing, for a moment or a lifetime.

It is a dangerous thought if one indulges it. But danger is nothing special either. Is one ever guided to give guidance? By whom? A friend.

If it is so, it will happen whether you chase it or flee from it, because it it comes from within.
  • Agent Smith
    Another analogy that I find relatable is, despite the rather flippant and yet grave, approach, the so-called gameplay walkthrough of which you'll find many on youtube - basically offering hints & tips on how to play (the game of life) and win summa cum laude in a manner of speaking.

Some games I hear tend to be open-ended (I hope I got that word right) - there are decision nodes in them and depending on the choices you make, the game ends in one of many different ways. I consider such games to be opportunities as they are 1)a journey of self-discovery [tells you what kinda person you are] and 2) a benign, bloodless, way of assessing one's impact on the world at large [virtual murder/philanthropy/betrayal/empathy or lack thereof, you get the idea].
  • T Clark
    I’ll report back if my feelings on the subject charge after reading the whole thing...0 thru 9

YGID%20small.png
  • 0 thru 9

unenlightened

Maybe if I quietly copy and paste your post into the OP, people will think I came up with
    something very poetic... lol :blush: j/k

Very nicely put. Much appreciated!
  • 0 thru 9
    Another analogy that I find relatable is, despite the rather flippant and yet grave, approach, the so-called gameplay walkthrough of which you'll find many on youtube - basically offering hints & tips on how to play (the game of life) and win summa cum laude in a manner of speaking.

Some games I hear tend to be open-ended (I hope I got that word right) - there are decision nodes in them and depending on the choices you make, the game ends in one of many different ways. I consider such games to be opportunities as they are 1)a journey of self-discovery [tells you what kinda person you are] and 2) a benign, bloodless, way of assessing one's impact on the world at large [virtual murder/philanthropy/betrayal/empathy or lack thereof, you get the idea].
    Agent Smith

You mean hints on how to play characters in video games as a possible metaphor for guidance? (If I’m understanding correctly?) Yes, I could definitely see that! Constant choices in an ever-changing
    world (that seems to almost enjoy changing for the worse sometimes. Maybe to teach a lesson or get us to pay attention? I dunno... )
  • 0 thru 9

Your long-running thread about the Tao Te Ching is full of its guidance and inspiration.
    I have tried to internalize it so that it helps on a subconscious level, as well as being
    rationally helped and directed by it. WWTTD: what would the Tao do?
    https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/10427/my-favorite-verses-in-the-tao-te-ching/p1
  • Agent Smith
    Yep, you got it! In the current game universe (shooting/war games being the most popular) there's only one way we can get an idea of what a person is like and that applies to him/herself (temet nosce) which is how s/he kills. It's quite fascinating if you ask me - imagine being put in charge of a gang of murderers, thieves, and rapists and then ordered to go out into the world and do good (re suicide squad)! A challenge worthy of only champions!

Forrester's paradox.

Murder ... gently!
  • 0 thru 9

That reminds me of the movie Spartacus. He was in charge of an army of gladiators
    and escaped slaves. (Spoiler alert in case someone hasn’t seen the original movie with
    Kirk Douglas, if so drop everything right now and watch it lol) And at the end, he had to kill his friend in a sword fight. He did so out of compassion, otherwise his friend would have suffered a more painful death of being crucified.
  • Agent Smith
    he had to kill his friend0 thru 9

C'est la vie mon ami, c'est la vie! :groan:

:up:
  • Tom Storm
    Guidance seems like a separate thing than Ethics when it comes to choosing our actions and establishing our will / intentions.0 thru 9

Guidance is generally attached to a pursuit or worldview (politics, sport, social climbing, literature, etc) and coaches/mentors both informal and formal can provide us with advice subject to identified goals - which may or may not involve morality. Clear guidance from the right source, at the right time, can be invaluable in preventing one from making mistakes and can speed up the acquisition of knowledge.

Could it be a (temporary) surrender of the Self and Will to some other wisdom, power or energy?0 thru 9

Not for me. I don't understand what Self or Will mean as transcendent entities (if that's why you capitalised them) - to me the self is merely 'who I am' and I leave Will behind with my copy of Schopenhauer, which currently props up a wobbly couch leg. But I can see how people stop thinking when they go off and follow a religious apologist or a dictator. Is that an example of guidance taken to a lobotomised state?

This is referring to a more “interior” or perhaps “metaphysical” definition of Guidance than reading an article or getting advice from a friend.0 thru 9

I know of no form of guidance that isn't practical, although it might be indirect and symbolic rather than overt. What do mean by interior or metaphysical?
  • T Clark
    Your long-running thread about the Tao Te Ching is full of its guidance and inspiration.
    I have tried to internalize it so that it helps on a subconscious level, as well as being
    rationally helped and directed by it. WWTTD: what would the Tao do?
    0 thru 9

The Tao Te Ching is the book of the Way, but it's only one way. There are dozens, hundreds, thousands of ways in the world. Is that what you mean by guidance? It seems hopelessly broad and vague.
  • unenlightened
    Very nicely put. Much appreciated!0 thru 9

Well thanks. If we are somewhat talking about the same thing, it is not a topic I would normally discuss here in public, because it is necessarily personal and particular and not susceptible to analysis or repeatable experiment. But I can support something Jung said, to the effect that if you start noticing coincidences -'synchronicities', he calls them, it is an indication that you are heading in the right direction. Of course saying something like this is an invitation to go looking for them, which is not going in the right direction, but chasing one's own tail.

But Jung wrote far too much about everything for anyone with a life to read more than exerts - There's a nice little story by Mervyn Peake, Mr Pye, you might like...
  • 0 thru 9
    The Tao Te Ching is the book of the Way, but it's only one way.T Clark

It’s a comprehensive (but mercifully concise) written guide. (As you undoubtedly know quite well.) It’s only one, yes. One needs only one bridge to travel over the longest river. :hearts:

There are dozens, hundreds, thousands of ways in the world.T Clark

Thank goodness for that, since there are billions of people and trillions of possible circumstances!

Is that what you mean by guidance? It seems hopelessly broad and vague.T Clark

Somewhat, yes. I’m still working on understanding that, of course. I edited the OP, and added a fuller description in hopes of being less vague. I’m calling it “metaphysical guidance” now to hopefully be a little more specific. (Not that I could exactly define “metaphysical” very well. That which is not materially based? Hmm, needs work... )

Thanks for your feedback! :flower:
  • 0 thru 9
    Not for me. I don't understand what Self or Will mean as transcendent entities (if that's why you capitalised them) - to me the self is merely 'who I am' and I leave Will behind with my copy of SchopenhauerTom Storm

Hmm, good point. I didn’t mean to designate self or will as “transcendent entities”. Mostly because I’m fuzzy on what that term might entail, and could complicate things even more. Lower case or in quotes (eg. “will”) would suffice...

But I can see how people stop thinking when they go off and follow a religious apologist or a dictator. Is that an example of guidance taken to a lobotomised state?Tom Storm

True, caution is needed! Skepticism about one’s own thoughts and desires. A helpful skepticism that counters any imbalances or harmful ideas that may pop up in one’s mind. Not every voice we may hear in our head is to be followed, without risking madness, crime, and destruction.

I know of no form of guidance that isn't practical, although it might be indirect and symbolic rather than overt. What do mean by interior or metaphysical?Tom Storm

I edited the OP in hopes to make the description of what I mean by guidance at least a little clearer and fuller. I am referring to guidance perceived mentally / psychologically / from within. Aka inspiration or intuition, as commonly defined. But as noted in the edit, physical and material aspects such as symbols possibly could play some role.

Thanks for your reply! :ok:
  • 0 thru 9
    Along with the expanded description of “guidance”, I added some relevant quotes at the end of the OP in the hopes of illustrating the general direction of the discussion. So much for a short and concise OP lol.

Any further suggestions for quotes that might shed some light would be appreciated. :sparkle:
  • 0 thru 9
    There's a nice little story by Mervyn Peake, Mr Pye, you might like...unenlightened

I’ll look into that. Thanks for the suggestion!

If we are somewhat talking about the same thing, it is not a topic I would normally discuss here in public, because it is necessarily personal and particular and not susceptible to analysis or repeatable experiment.unenlightened

Yes, individual specifics aside, it seems that we are talking about the same thing. It’s always a nice experience to be understood even when babbling with your mouth full of food... so to speak lol.

Yes... a very personal and individual thing. Perhaps on the border of the real and the imagined, the actual and the possible. Not really in the realm of science (as usually defined). But maybe worthy of investigation...
  • unenlightened
    I want to say some stuff that is a bit peripheral perhaps, with half an eye on the more sceptical brethren among us, by way of trying to make a space in the universe of dialogue for the consideration of mind without some of the preconceptions that would stifle what might prove an interesting exploration..

The Cartesian tradition -- you know the guy, 'I think therefore I am' and coordinate geometry - the foundation of knowledge and science man -- that tradition takes human identity as the certain foundation, the objective atom that is the observer. According to the tradition, it is impossible and unthinkable that my thoughts are not my own, that my mind might be haunted or even possessed by other beings. People who experience themselves as permeable to otherness in these ways are declared to be deluded - because it is impossible.

We know there are such people, and we deny the validity of their experience. This is the scientific psychological tradition and to even question it is to make one's own sanity questionable.

Still, one can see some curious phenomena playing out in history on various scales that are difficult to explain. There are waves of mass movement of people where what was unthinkable becomes not only thinkable, but doable and completely natural. The enlightenment itself was one such mass movement of mind; the transformation of Germany in the 1930's is another; The hippy movement in the late 60's another. The facts are these; that multitudes change their minds quite radically quite quickly, and yet we want to claim that their thoughts are entirely their own, even the crazies who do not think so.

We have recourse to mechanical explanations - memes, conditioning, and so on, but mechanical explanations themselves call into question the existence of the unitary observer that constitutes the scientist's viewpoint.

The old fashioned fudge of the psychoanalysts is the divided self, unconscious of its division, but the effect on the observer is the same in the end - the observer cannot be trusted. And so we arrive at postmodernism, often characterised by its detractors as 'anti-science ant anti-truth. And woke.

What has woke dudes, and what is asleep? Is you is, or is you ain't?
  • Tom Storm
    Thanks for clarifying. You seem to be talking about supernatural guidance. While I believe people contrive all kinds of meaning in events they view as signs or portents, I do not have any good reasons to accept magical thinking of this kind. :smile:
  • 0 thru 9
    You seem to be talking about supernatural guidance. While I believe people contrive all kinds of meaning in events they view as signs or portents, I do not have any good reasons to accept magical thinking of this kind. :smile:Tom Storm

Sorry? I’m not understanding where I said anything about the supernatural? I don’t think the word “metaphysical” necessarily refers to anything like that, if that’s what you mean. Thought itself is beyond the physical in a sense. Magical thinking... Show me where I’m wrong (or on thin ice) and I’ll agree!

But this is a subtle psychological topic I’ll grant you... not taking about mathematics or formal logic. :wink:
  • Tom Storm
    But this is a subtle psychological topic, not taking about mathematics or formal logic. :wink:0 thru 9

I don't do math or formal logic so that's fine by me. :smile: I consider Jung to be essentially a supernaturalist - his work situates him in the idealist tradition. At least, that's my take and I understand Bernardo Kastrup - a keen Jungian - holds to this view. And yes, supernatural is a silly and inadequate word but I can't think of something more useful at present.

You seem to be talking about portents imbued with some kid of 'magical' value. Perhaps it would help if you could cite something or give me an example of this guidance in action - a specific instance and what it provides by way of guidance.
  • 0 thru 9
    The Cartesian tradition -- you know the guy, 'I think therefore I am' and coordinate geometry - the foundation of knowledge and science man -- that tradition takes human identity as the certain foundation, the objective atom that is the observer. According to the tradition, it is impossible and unthinkable that my thoughts are not my own, that my mind might be haunted or even possessed by other beings. People who experience themselves as permeable to otherness in these ways are declared to be deluded - because it is impossible.unenlightened

Interesting... thanks! I think it is unscientific to believe any idea just because it might appeal to us for some reason. But it’s equally unscientific to poo-poo anything that doesn’t conform to our current worldview or fit in our comfort zone. The world is larger and more surprising than our even the imaginations of great artists. If a plastic radio can pick up invisible waves, it is not out of the realm of possibility that the human brain (the most complex thing in the known universe) can tune into brain waves from other humans. It hasn’t been proven AFAIK, but I believe research is ongoing... and worth the effort. And this is not even taking into account men who stare at goats. :nerd:

Still, one can see some curious phenomena playing out in history on various scales that are difficult to explain. There are waves of mass movement of people where what was unthinkable becomes not only thinkable, but doable and completely natural. The enlightenment itself was one such mass movement of mind; the transformation of Germany in the 1930's is another; The hippy movement in the late 60's another. The facts are these; that multitudes change their minds quite radically quite quickly, and yet we want to claim that their thoughts are entirely their own, even the crazies who do not think so.unenlightened

Reminds me of the theory of noosphere, a theoretical realm of thought that may have an effect on humans. Again, it hasn’t been proven. But very intriguing at the least. Why does the same thought or feelings seem to happen in large groups of people all at once? Why does a school of fish or flock of birds all change direction at the same time? Why were intelligent, sane, and sober people paying $30,000 for an imaginary digital “coin”? One day we may know the answers to these mysteries!
  • Cuthbert
    Play nice ethics are fine for the mundane business of rubbing along0 thru 9

Don't underestimate them. Epiphanies are rare. It's mostly about paying your bills, apologising for errors, letting go of grudges. I would pull out a story about a guy going to to the top of the mountain to seek the meaning of life and being told to stop blocking his neighbour's driveway with his car. But I can't think of one. There are thousands with that message.
  • unenlightened
    In a bit of cybernetic serendipity, this appeared on my facebook feed today.
    Kusters’ goal is not merely to relate the biographical fact that a careful study of Husserl led to an involuntary hospitalization (as in, “I was studying Husserl one day, and then things got a bit out of hand, and then the ambulance arrived”). Rather, it is to demonstrate to the reader precisely how the study of Husserl’s writings on time can precipitate a psychotic episode.

The problem has to do with Husserl’s reckless use of water metaphors, the most pertinent being the stream. Time consciousness, Husserl tells us, is like a flowing stream, with its facets of retention and protention smuggled into the present moment. But now that Husserl has opened the door to the casual use of water metaphors, what stops us from having a bit of fun, and deploying other metaphors? If we were careful and thorough in this procedure, we would likely alter the temporal structure of experience. Instead of a lazy stream, why not experience time as a raging river, which accelerates and decelerates unpredictably? Or a gentle pond which allows you to move effortlessly in any direction? Or for that matter, a whirlpool, where past and future merge and where one is violently wrenched out of a shared reality? How can anybody read Husserl thoughtfully and carefully and stay sane?
    https://ndpr.nd.edu/reviews/a-philosophy-of-madness-the-experience-of-psychotic-thinking/?fbclid=IwAR0TVFzVE16sEycawhBK6FDUdv9FL30fGK50_SC1CmRFKTWU8cozB4EOqEg

We can add to the metaphor, the converging of streams into rivers and the diverging into deltas, and the eventual discharge into the sea. We can add evaporation, and freezing, underground rivers, ocean flows ... 'there's someone in my head, and it's not me.'

What I mean is that madness itself has a history, as Foucault surmised: it is like a species, or an organism. Its history is internal to it. Madness changes in its inmost character from generation to generation. Any attempt to describe madness is, as a consequence, necessarily partial and incomplete, for it chases after a moving target. And this is as it should be, for this historically mutable character underwrites its oft-remarked elusive nature.
    ibid.

Which makes sanity equally indescribable and a moving target.

I would pull out a story about a guy going to to the top of the mountain to seek the meaning of life and being told to stop blocking his neighbour's driveway with his car.Cuthbert

That was my quip edited into the op, so I'll respond. Indeed one is in the world, if for anything at all, to experience the mundane. But the mundane is defined in distinction from what is not mundane but 'otherworldly', and we must as philosophers occasionally take cognisance of that too, particularly given the flow between them.
  • 0 thru 9
    We have recourse to mechanical explanations - memes, conditioning, and so on, but mechanical explanations themselves call into question the existence of the unitary observer that constitutes the scientist's viewpoint.

The old fashioned fudge of the psychoanalysts is the divided self, unconscious of its division, but the effect on the observer is the same in the end - the observer cannot be trusted. And so we arrive at postmodernism, often characterised by its detractors as 'anti-science ant anti-truth. And woke.
    unenlightened

I think that there are limits to every thing in our relative world. Including wonderful science. But that is not really a problem, unless we make it one. We have enough trouble comprehending finite things. These two ants on my kitchen counter are communicating something to each other that is beyond me. We can take objective observer science as far as it can go. And if we can integrate field theory (both quantum and Lewin’s psychological take) in some meaningful way, that it great.

But until then giving more respect and attention to the seemingly ordinary ways of living and being is definitely in order. If a behavior has been around for thousands of years or more, it probably works. And contains more than meets the eyes, especially our jaded materialistic ones half-blinded by screens.

About the topic of guidance, it might suit one to keep an curious mind and flexible heart. One can steer well clear of superstition and still look for signs around us, giving us clues drip by drip like we are some kind of bumbling detective trying to solve the mystery of how to live within this unique and infinitely complex single day.
  • 0 thru 9
    Play nice ethics are fine for the mundane business of rubbing along
    — 0 thru 9

Don't underestimate them. Epiphanies are rare. It's mostly about paying your bills, apologising for errors, letting go of grudges. I would pull out a story about a guy going to to the top of the mountain to seek the meaning of life and being told to stop blocking his neighbour's driveway with his car. But I can't think of one. There are thousands with that message.
    Cuthbert

A fair point, thanks. Ethics are of supreme importance. Otherwise, one seems to be a ship drifting with no one steering and no anchor, at the mercy of the tide. If ethics are the pillars of stability, we perhaps also need some more personal compass to direct us, something in tune with our exact situation and unique life. Maybe the guidance one feels at times grows out of the ground of ethics that we stand on.

Perhaps the whispering guidance we hear and the moral pillars we have are connected, if not two sides of the same coin. The little things in life are important, as you suggest. We search for a light to help us see clearly to take even small steps.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.