• Agent Smith
    The title is copy-pasted from this e-book (EPUB format) I'm reading titled Abudction by Robin Cook.

it’s not coming from the ship’s power plant [...]

Is there anything weird/interesting going on?
  • Jamal
    I suppose you've got a bad epub conversion, one that couldn't deal with curly quotes.
  • Agent Smith
    Danke for the reply. Anything else that you might wanna say?
  • Jamal
    What are you getting at? Do you suspect that ’ is a tiny glimpse of the language of the universe?
  • Agent Smith
    What are you getting at? Do you suspect that ’ is a tiny glimpse of the language of the universe?Jamal

I wish! It's just that I can relate to computers (machines); of course not at a grand scale the likes of which you see in films i.e. neither can I communicate with them and nor can I comtrol them in ways better than ever Tom, Dick, and Harry.

The computer couldn't parse the curly quotes as you said and did what it could - it tried to understand the code, but it came out wrong. I feel like that sometimes; ok, let's be honest, all of the time.

I also feel like one of the infinite monkeys in the infinite monkey theorem, writing gibberish mostly but once in a blue moon penning something that kinda sorta makes sense, at least to me. I wonder then, where are the other monkeys? :snicker:
  • Jamal
    Most interesting.
  • Yohan
    I wonder then, where are the other monkeys?Agent Smith
    Isn't that the rest of us? Or do you think the rest of us know what we are doing?
  • Agent Smith
    Isn't that the rest of us? Or do you think the rest of us know what we are doing?Yohan

I have no idea - the veil ignorance is, as of now, impenetrable for me. I have a feeling it's gonna stay that way for a long, long time.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.