• Yohan
    Are there any philosophical implications in chickens crossing roads?
  • Nils Loc
    The chicken was running from a perceived threat but didn't realize that it was crossing a road. It wouldn't have had time to consider the risk if even if some chicken god had tried to warn the danger of busy highways.

How do supposed rational beings, wise from practice in some cognitive gymnasium, stay cool under pressure? Do philosophers, like chickens, panic (and possibly forgo their virtues)?

Why did the philosopher cross the road?

Because it was the most reasonable thing to do?

Philosophers and Chicken Enchiladas
  • Agent Smith
    As far as I'm concerned "why did the chicken cross the road?" is a Zen koan. :cool:
  • Yohan
    Anti-humor is really quite interesting.
    Surprise is arguably the most essential factor in humor.
    With anti-humor you expect a surprising answer, and instead receive an unsurprising answer. And that itself is suprising.
  • Agent Smith
    receive an unsurprising answer. And that itself is suprising.Yohan

:lol: You're on the right track as far as I can tell. Please report anything that you might find intersting/suprising.
  • Yohan
    Please report anything that you might find intersting/suprising.Agent Smith
    delete
  • Agent Smith
    The punchline of this joke of a life we have as in the meaning of life or for our muslim brethren, al-Haqq (the truth)?
  • Agent Smith
    don't know.Yohan

I'm in good company then; I hope you feel the same way!
  • Yohan
    I'm in good company then; I hope you feel the same way!Agent Smith
    We can hope but probably never know!
  • Agent Smith
    We can hope but probably never know!Yohan

Love it, hate it, sic vita est, si señor?
  • Yohan
    Love it, hate it, sic vita est, si señor?Agent Smith
    Such life on social media!
  • Agent Smith
    Such life on social media!Yohan

So it seems mon ami!
  • Yohan

Nothing is what it seems.
    Appearances are deceptive.
    Truth is stranger than fiction!
    Expect the unexpected.
  • Yohan
    Why did the philosopher cross the road?

Because it was the most reasonable thing to do?
    Nils Loc
    Because he thought it was reasonable.
  • Yohan
    How do supposed rational beings, wise from practice in some cognitive gymnasium, stay cool under pressure?Nils Loc
    Through either
    -Metaphysics - Understanding that the things that are an apparent source of stress may not having any ultimate (ontological?) reality. (“I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, most of which never happened” -Samuel Clemens.)
    or
    -Pragmatism
    Reminding oneself that worrying and panicking doesn't help the situation. Instead of asking "What could go wrong" ask "What is the best thing I can realistically do?"
  • Agent Smith
    Good advice! I'll keep that in mind for as long as possible. I'm in two minds about this but here goes anyway - reject accept Maya, don't we all enjoy magic? However, a big however, Maya bites deep & hard. Expect some cuts & bruises and even an early appointment with the Grim Reaper.
  • Yohan
    reject accept Maya, don't we all enjoy magic? However, a big however, Maya bites deep & hard. Expect some cuts & bruises and even an early appointment with the Grim Reaper.Agent Smith
    I can feel the bitter medicine sting my tongue.
    Enjoy the show. But expect the bill! Did you think admission was free? Your turn to perform is coming!

Negative visualization or futurorum malorum præmeditatio is a method of meditative praxis or askēsis by visualization of the worst-case scenario. The method originated with the Cyreanic philosophers and was later adopted by Stoic philosophers. — wikipedia
  • Agent Smith
    futurorum malorum præmeditatio — wikipedia

This will be of great use to me mon ami!

I can feel the bitter medicine sting my tongue.
    Enjoy the show. But expect the bill! Did you think admission was free? Your turn to perform is coming!
    Yohan

You're my AWACS; muchas gracias señor! I pray to The Almighty that my performance meets everyone's expectations, but don't count on it, ok?
  • Yohan
    I pray to The Almighty that my performance meets everyone's expectations, but don't count on it, ok?Agent Smith
    Break a leg! :lol: (reverse psychology???)
  • Agent Smith
    Break a leg! :lol: (reverse psychology???)Yohan

:lol: I'll need to look that up! See you around Yohan.
  • Yohan
    You're my AWACSAgent Smith
    You are my ASAC :ok: (Heard the term on Breaking Bad, and I thought it might fit. You being an Agent and all) See you around, Agent :cool:
  • Agent Smith
    You are my ASAC :ok: (Heard the term on Breaking Bad, and I thought it might fit. You being an Agent and all) See you around, Agent :cool:Yohan

:up:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.