• JoeTheBassPlayer
    Hello. I'm fairly new to the study of philosophy. I've read a number of essays and books, but decided to step back and understand things from a higher perspective, then begin to drill down on certain areas of philosophy that are important or interesting to me.

Of particular interest is ethics, politics, free will, Christian philosophy, and epistimoloy (sp?)

Any suggestions are welcome. To date, I've read Aristotle, Nietchze, Emmerson, Kierkegaard, and Spinoza. I plan on reading some of Kant's works soon.

Thanks

Joe
  • unenlightened
    Read some Hume before you read Kant.He's one of the clearest of philosophers, and sets out the sceptical arguments that Kant addresses.

Otherwise, you could do a lot worse than flick through some of Stanford, and follow up on whatever grabs your fancy, making sure of course to know your enemies as well as your friends.
  • JoeTheBassPlayer
    Thanks for the advice. I'll check out Hume next.

Joe
  • Pattern-chaser
    Ignore philosophers. By this I mean it doesn't matter who thought of the idea, Schopenhauer, Kant, Hulme, Aristotle.... It's the idea that matters. Read anything that looks interesting to you, anything at all. Be a magpie. Pounce on shiny, interesting ideas, steal them, and take them back to your nest for incubation and hatching. Talk to people. Read posts here on this forum.

Enjoy! :smile:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.