• Agent Smith
    The father takes his son up to the roof and tells his son "jump off, nothing'll happen". The son looks questioningly and asks "are you sure?" "Trust me," replies the father. Ten days later the son wakes up in hospital; the father looks at him and goes "son, life lesson #1, don't trust anyone."

Our senses can't be trusted. Everyone knows that!

Our mind plays tricks on us. Everyone knows that too.

We have trust issues!
  • 180 Proof
    So I shouldn't trust grammar?
  • Moliere
    And yet, the son will find, that the real lesson is: "Don't trust your father" because we live on trust. No one is an island. We are all vulnerable, whether we like it or not, whether we tell ourselves that we're strong or not, whether we have power or not. It's a defining feature of our species that individually we are pathetic. Only together are we strong -- and to be together takes trust.
  • Agent Smith
    So I shouldn't trust grammar?180 Proof

The answer, it looks like, is no!

I concur, trust is vital to our collective well-being. However, the way things are done suggests betrayal is the norm, especially when the stakes are high.
  • Agent Smith
    Yeah, I know. C'est la vie.
  • Yohan
    Trust is won not given. ~ Tobsha Learner

The only way to make a man trustworthy is to trust him. ~ Henry Lewis Stimson

I trust everyone. I just don’t trust the devil inside them. ~ Troy Kennedy-Martin

Believe in Allah, but tie your camel. ~ Arabian proverb

:eyes:
  • Agent Smith
    Nice! Opinions seem divided, eh?

Fun fact:

1. Nobody gives their bank details to anyone? I wonder why?

2. We all have our little secrets.
  • Yohan
    ...it is a mark of prudence never to place our complete trust in those who have deceived us even once.
    DESCARTES
  • Agent Smith
    ...it is a mark of prudence never to place our complete trust in those who have deceived us even once.
    DESCARTES
    Yohan

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

:grin:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.