• hypericin
    This jokey, pseudo-philosophical question exemplifies a confusion which lies at the heart of philosophy.

There are two ways to approach the question. One is to consult everyday usage: hotdogs are not commonly called sandwiches, and so therefore hotdogs are not sandwiches.

However, this feels too ad-hoc to philosophy types, who naturally take the second approach. First, define what a sandwich is. Then, determine if this definition is inclusive of hotdogs. The point of contention is how exactly to define a sandwich, since once a definition is arrived at, applying it to hotdogs is easy. As a first stab, you might define a sandwich as any or all of meat, cheese, and vegetables between two pieces of bread. But then, someone might counter, subs are called sub sandwiches, and they use one piece of bread. So then, sandwiches are meat, cheese, and/or vegetables wrapped in bread. But following complaints from the burritos-and-wraps-are-not-sandwiches crowed. you might amend to meat, cheese, and/or vegetables partially wrapped in bread. With this definition in hand, you can soundly conclude that hotdogs, contrary to popular opinion, are in fact sandwiches.

While this second approach might feel more logical and rigorous, this whole procedure is wrong. The problem is that the argument consults usage to arrive at a definition, then uses the definition to arrive at a conclusion contrary to usage. This cannot be legitimately done, because usage is the only source which informs you what a sandwich is. There is no trans-linguistic reality, no platonic essence of sandwiches which you can consult. Definitions can only describe, not prescribe, and you can't get more out of them than the usage they arise from. If your definition of sandwich is contrary to usage, then it is, by definition, wrong.

Nouns pick out categories. There is always at least some logic to them, if the same noun haphazardly selected sandwiches, deserts which go well with coffee, and baseball cards, it wouldn't be of much use. But, words are under no obligation whatsoever to have strict, logically consistent definitions. There may be no definition which perfectly includes and excludes every member of "sandwich", or of there is one, no one is thinking of it as they use the word. Words are organic things, and have fuzzy boundaries, and our minds are well constituted to deal with them as such. We happily use the word sandwich, never mistakenly using the word with hotdogs.

I call such questions which presume an trans-linguistic reality where there is none, "hotdog questions". I think this confusion pervades philosophy. Whenever a "what is" question is asked, I am always worried by the thought "Is this a hotdog question?". "What is identity?" may be one.
  • jgill
    . . . exemplifies a confusion which lies at the heart of philosophyhypericin

Wow! That came out of nowhere. :yum: And to think some say that philosophers only look backward.
  • Pie
    he problem is that the argument consults usage to arrive at a definition, then uses the definition to arrive at a conclusion contrary to usage. This cannot be legitimately done, because usage is the only source which informs you what a sandwich is. There is no trans-linguistic reality, no platonic essence of sandwiches which you can consult. Definitions can only describe, not prescribe, and you can't get more out of them than the usage they arise from. If your definition of sandwich is contrary to usage, then it is, by definition, wrong.hypericin

:clap:

Excellent OP !
  • Pie
    Whenever a "what is" question is asked, I am always worried by the thought "Is this a hotdog question?".hypericin

I remember when I used to take hotdog questions too seriously. The pragmatists and others help me see the game in the new light.

You've discovered a perfect parody of bad philosophy, I think.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    Anything in a bun is a sandwich... isn't it?
    Two distinct types of sandwich, one uses bread, the other a bun. Some prefer to call it a bunwich. That's got a nice ring to it.
    Why would you want to eat sand anyway?
  • L'éléphant
    With this definition in hand, you can soundly conclude that hotdogs, contrary to popular opinion, are in fact sandwiches.hypericin
    They're not sandwiches. In fact, a hotdog inside a bun is similar to falafel inside a pita bread. They're called by their names in isolation of the bread that accompanies them. So, if you order two hotdogs, you're gonna get two buns with a hotdog inside each. The same with falafel.
  • Tom Storm
    I had a compelling night a few years ago with some twins. Isn't that a type of sandwich too? There was bread involved, but that was afterwards...
  • L'éléphant
    No. It has nothing to do with the use of bread. You wouldn't order "I'd like two salamis, please" and get two sandwiches. But you could order two hotdogs and get two hotdogs in a bun each.

Another hint is that a sandwich is two slices of bread with things in-between. Buns aren't used for sandwiches (no one is going to arrest you for calling it a sandwich), but for holding the thing which you ordered.
  • Benkei
    Buns aren't used for sandwiches (no one is going to arrest you for calling it a sandwich), but for holding the thing which you ordered.L'éléphant

Maybe not in the US but they are in other parts of the world. So a sandwich is not a sandwich which is not sandwich.

Also @hypericin, wraps and burritos aren't bread.

In any case, philosophers do make definitions when they offer persuasive definitions that deviate from actual use in order to clarify or delineate an idea. This is usually the whole point of the question "what is...?"
  • Pie
    In any case, philosophers do make definitions when they offer persuasive definitions that deviate from actual use in order to clarify or delineate an idea. This is usually the whole point of the question "what is...?"Benkei

Perhaps we can agree that good philosophers realize that they are clarifying or adjusting a concept as such, while not-so-good philosophers assume from the mere grammar of the question that a yes-or-no one-bit answer already exists and needs only be 'computed' metalogiphysically.
  • jgill
    You guys need to stop joking and start chomping away at this mouth-watering question at the heart of philosophy. :chin:
  • Agent Smith
    philosophers only look backward.jgill
    and they supposedly puts everything before us!

:snicker:
  • L'éléphant
    wraps and burritos aren't bread.Benkei
    :up:
  • Noble Dust

Do you watch Mythical Kitchen/listen to their podcast?
  • Cuthbert
    platonic essencehypericin

parody of bad philosophyPie

He may have got the answer wrong but I give him credit for raising a question that is still intriguing us in almost its original form two millenia later. Austin's 'first-water, ground floor' mistakes, which it's no disgrace to have made.
  • Cuthbert
    usage is the only source which informs you what a sandwich is. There is no trans-linguistic realityhypericin

Another source is our own prescription. "It's called a sandwich but it does not deserve the name." As if the so-called sandwich is descriptively or even morally defective. There is a trans-linguistic reality exactly when there is a prescriptive reality: the world of what ought and ought not to be, distinct from the world of what is. For example, democracy is not just whatever anyone chooses to call democracy. Otherwise any old tyranny will qualify. Usage is something, but not everything. Don't know why I've decided to stick up for Platonism in this thread, a position that is neither fashionable nor sustainable. But heck, someone's got to do it. If they don't explicitly, it'll only come sneaking in by the back door.
  • bongo fury
    There is no trans-linguistic reality, no platonic essence of sandwiches which you can consult.hypericin

But neither is there any historical certainty about past usage, or even about uses of a word on particular occasions. (See inscrutability of reference.)

Understanding how language works on such shaky ground is a perfectly chompable problem.
  • bongo fury
    Words are organic things, and have fuzzy boundaries, and our minds are well constituted to deal with them as such. We happily use the word sandwich,hypericin

Sure, especially given the inscrutability and all.

never mistakenly using the word with hotdogs.hypericin

But then how could that ever be a mistake?

Is this a chair problem?
  • Pie
    Austin's 'first-water, ground floor' mistakes, which it's no disgrace to have made.Cuthbert
    :up:

Agreed. This generation stands on those that came before, and it's not clear that such 'mistakes' or partial insights could or should have been avoided.
  • sime
    Definitions are at the service of moral and hedonistic imperatives.

My father insists that Darts isn't a sport. If I ask him why, he argues that when playing a sport you need to take a shower afterwards. On further questioning, he admits that the purpose of his narrower definition of "sport" is to devalue the achievements of non-athletes.
  • Pie
    Usage is something, but not everything.Cuthbert

I take you to be saying something like : just because we do talk this way doesn't mean we should.

"It's called a sandwich but it does not deserve the name." As if the so-called sandwich is descriptively or even morally defective.Cuthbert

A valid move indeed, and maybe much of philosophy is just this kind of statement.

I recall critics of OLP worrying that it could be interpreted as one big naturalistic fallacy. Personally I don't think @hypericin intended such a thing.
  • Pie

Well said. I suppose they can be more or less objective, but surely they are often motivated, satirical, polemical.
  • Pie
    But neither is there any historical certainty about past usage, or even about uses of a word on particular occasions.bongo fury

Good point. To me the point is something like current usage, and I see rationality as related to sociality, politeness, good sportsmanship. It's 'unreasonable' to apply concepts differently than others, at least without justification. The norms aren't generally explicit or exact, but computers can 'learn' them well enough to translate simpler texts.
  • Cuthbert
    My father insists that Darts isn't a sport.sime

In my experience of fathers that means he's forgotten about the loan. Otherwise he would be insisting on repayment.
  • unenlightened
    It seems only reasonable to consult the inventor about his invention.
    ... he would ask his servants to bring him slices of meat between two slices of bread, a habit well known among his gambling friends. Other people, according to this account, began to order "the same as Sandwich!", and thus the "sandwich" was born.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Montagu,_4th_Earl_of_Sandwich

Half a bun is not a slice of bread, and neither a frankfurter nor a burger is a slice of meat. Sandwiches are eaten by the aristocracy, and burgers, hot-dogs, chip butties, and doughnuts are peasant food.

Essences can be declared - what else is a patent?
  • Benkei
    chip buttiesunenlightened

:vomit: Worst ever! Here's some carbohydrates with some more carbohydrates. Also it doesn't taste like anything.
  • unenlightened
    We peasants need a high carb diet to do all the work. Obviously you white-collar folks will stick to your Prosecco salads and lines of coke and such.
  • Jamal
    Half a bun is not a slice of breadunenlightened

Your logic is valid but this premise makes it unsound.
  • Benkei
    What's a prosecco salad?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.