• Olivier5
    Man, you tend to delete in a hurry.

• Olivier5
    it provides fodder to deniersTate

Is that what you are trying to do?
  • Agent Smith
    Whatever the truth is, if an ice age coincides with global warming, we'd all havta cry out "perfect timing!" @Wayfarer might wanna comment about how earth is a spaceship [re spaceship earth theory]. Maybe it's part of the plan, oui? A super-advanced environmental control system is what this looks like to me! Just like how we turn up the heat when its winter! :snicker: Woah!
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    He's continuing to delete perfectly normal posts of mine. What the heck?Tate

Typical marxist censorship. You are just asking for a black bag over your head. :death:
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    what is this earthspaceship theory?
  • Agent Smith
    what is this earthspaceship theory?Merkwurdichliebe

Spaceship Earth

The sun is hurtling through space at around 80,000 km/s, dragging along with it the planets, including the earth. The solar system's a self-contained interstellar vessel/craft with its own power source - a fusion reactor, the sun - and there's a reserve fleet of planets we can move to as the sun evolves into a red giant.

Remember the perfect/ideal spaceship (self-sustaining biosphere with a reliable, long-lived power source) is just a scaled down version of a solar system with a one/more planets in the habitable zone and a few backup planets to take into account stellar life history. :snicker:
  • Tate

I was wondering if you could comment on the feedback OP:

Is it appropriate to talk about the climate in a thread about climate change? Xtrix doesn't think so.

The issue was the effect of climate change on events related to the present ice age.

Why is this problematic? Could someone explain?
    Tate
  • Yohan
    If I were a Mod, I would make it a personal rule not to moderate threads I myself have started.

Its akin to a someone being both a boxer and referee. It would take a saintly disposition to referee without bias

Im surprised its not an unspoken rule.
  • Jamal
    Im surprised its not an unspoken rule.Yohan

It is. As far as I can tell, Xtrix avoided, or tried to avoid, modding in that thread for this exact reason, but there were no other mods around at the time.
  • Tate
    It is. As far as I can tell, Xtrix avoided, or tried to avoid, modding in that thread for this exact reason, but there were no other mods around at the time.Jamal

Could you explain why moderation was needed? The only explanation I got from Xtrix was that my post was irrelevant.
  • Tate
    but there were no other mods around at the time.Jamal

That's not true. Xtrix continued deleting my posts after I opened this thread and Baden was present.
  • Isaac
    Could you explain why moderation was needed? The only explanation I got from Xtrix was that my post was irrelevant.Tate

You posted a completely uncited claim without even describing how it related to the argument. You refused to provide any citation when asked. You continue to do so in the same thread.

The topic is a scientific one (albeit the philosophical implications). We ought to expect citation. It's standard practice. We're not interested in what you 'reckon' is the case with regards to climatology.

If I were mod I would have deleted considerably more. I think @Xtrix behaved with some degree of composure given the provocation.
  • Tate
    You refused to provide any citation when asked.Isaac

That's not true. I provided two citations in spite of the fact that my knowledge is primarily from textbooks.
  • boethius
    That's not true. I provided two citations in spite of the fact that my knowledge is primarily from textbooks.Tate

You provided one citation of an article investigating the natural 100 000 year cycle (in the past) and the mechanism of glacial retreat, which does not have anything to do with climate change today which is not caused by orbital mechanics but a radical increase in man-made CO2 emissions.

The next "citation" you offer is a wikipedia "failed verification" tag to a statement that, again, has no relevance to the discussion if it was true or false, did not contradict what you said it was contradicting, and does lend weight to any position in the thread whatsoever.
  • Isaac
    That's not true. I provided two citations in spite of the fact that my knowledge is primarily from textbooks.Tate

Apart from the fact that your citations do not support the claims you made, you provided them after several pages of repeated requests from at least three different posters, and more importantly, you did so after the provoking discussion with @Xtrix. They can hardly be expected to moderate on the basis of something you're about to do, can they?
  • Tate
    Apart from the fact that your citations do not support the claims you made, you provided them after several pages of repeated requests from at least three different postersIsaac

This is a lie. Why are you writing this?
  • Tate

Basically what you're both saying is that you disagree with me. Neither of you has shown that what I posted was irrelevant. In fact, that you follow me to this thread to argue about it indicates that it's pretty on point.
  • Baden
    Baden was present.Tate

For as long as it took to write those posts and then I wasn't. I may have showed up online because the tab is open, but it pretty much always is. Online doesn't mean available.

Anyhow, we tend to defer, within reason, to an OP writer's analysis of what is relevant in their discussion, whether they are a mod or not. And I don't get why it means so much to you to focus on the ice-age angle in a thread where the point is of such questionable relevance.
  • Tate
    Anyhow, we tend to defer, within reason, to an OP writer's analysis of what is relevant in their discussion,Baden

As I said, if what I wrote was irrelevant, then probably the majority of that thread is irrelevant and
    subject to bring deleted by Xtrix.

If that's how we want to do it, I'll keep that in mind in the future. Thanks for attempting to answer my concern.
  • Isaac

No. It's about simple discussion protocols. If you want to contribute to a thread you should make your case (not just state facts) and cite the support for your claims.

If you're actually a climatologist, it would be a different matter and there might be more scope to just state what is the case (as you see it).

This is a discussion forum, not a blog, not an 'infowall' of useful snippets. If you don't want to take part in the discussions then you might just be in the wrong place, that's all.
  • Tate

He also deleted my posts in this feedback thread where I posted his PM's to me. I guess that's ok too?
  • Benkei
    I raised the question with moderators whether you were trolling the thread or not. Particularly that decontextualised comment about being in an ice age and others should get up to speed, triggered that. So I thought your comments were at least low quality and wanted other moderators opinion on that.
  • Tate
    I raised the question with moderators whether you were trolling the thread or not.Benkei

Really? Somehow I've been completely misunderstood. :grin:
  • Tate
    Anyway, would you hang around a forum where your opponent deletes your posts?

That's just crazy.
  • Benkei
    Who are your "opponents"?
  • Tate
    Who are your "opponents"?Benkei

Whoever disagrees with you
  • Benkei
    So your argumentation is about winning instead of edification? Good to know, I guess. Must be why you don't want to discuss with @boethius anymore since you were losing that one.
  • Isaac
    would you hang around a forum where your opponent deletes your posts?Tate

If you consider @Xtrix your "opponent" that somewhat undermines your entire argument that your ice age comment just...

brought up the fact that we're in an ice age to explain some of the complexity.Tate
  • Baden
    He also deleted my posts in this feedback thread where I posted his PM's to me. I guess that's ok too?Tate

I checked and the deleted post was a PM telling you that further off-topic posts in the climate thread would be deleted. If a mod PMs you something egregious or insulting, I think it makes sense to quote it here. Otherwise, I don't see the justification for posting a routine private message from a mod. Maybe just paraphrase it.

EDIT: To clarify, if you really must post a PM from a mod, you can. In this case though I don't see the need to resurrect the deleted post because the content is routine.
  • Olivier5
    Not to defend @Tate's crypto-denialism, but it is true that some mods can be a bit overbearing...
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.