• baker
    To smokers:

What request would make you refrain from smoking in a particular situation?

In a private situation, what would the other person need to say to you for you to refrain from smoking in their presence? How would they need to formulate their request in order for you to heed it?
  • Jamal
    Coming from someone I'm with, just about any kind of request to refrain from smoking would work on me. Coming from a stranger in public, it would depend on the situation. If I were outside I might refuse, but a polite and friendly request would be most likely to work.

I usually vape these days, but people even complain about that sometimes.
  • L'éléphant
    The person making the request could say they suffer from asthma or some sort of respiratory illness and couldn't be around smoking.

I'm not sure why the question, though. Smoking is prohibited indoors in all establishments. So, there's no need to reformulate a request, just say smoking is not allowed here, please.
  • Noble Dust

I've never been asked not to smoke, but living in a big city, I would probably just move far enough away from the person and continue. As the Elephant mentioned, I'm not sure why you asked the question.
  • baker

It's about neighbors and coworkers who smoke (at work or in break).

I open the windows in the morning to get some fresh air, and what do I get? The odious smell of my neighbors smoking.

While in the country where I live smoking is prohibited indoors in most establishments, many people ignore that. If I were to say "smoking is not allowed here, please", then, in the best case scenario, I'd get laughed at. (Not to mention that there are not just a few non-smokers who will jump to the defense of smokers.)
  • baker
    I usually vape these days, but people even complain about that sometimes.Jamal

Smokers tend to have a diminished sense of smell. They can't tell how bad the smell from smoking is.

It's one of the reasons why it's useless to talk about it with them. They can't relate.
  • baker
    The person making the request could say they suffer from asthma or some sort of respiratory illness and couldn't be around smoking.L'éléphant

And get laughed at or told to leave.
  • Jamal
    Unfortunately, a noxious personality is much harder to give up than smoking.
  • Agent Smith
    Back somewhere around 2004, breathing air in New Delhi was equivalent to smoking a packet of coffin nails a day. So yeah....smoking, breathing city air, it's the same thing, bruh!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment