• Art48
    A: We need God? Why?

B: To give us hope for a better life. Here, we suffer pain and disease and war. We lose loved ones. Without God, what would you tell a mother who just lost her child? And for justice.Evil people often prosper and good people suffer. What do you tell the man who spent 40 years in prison for a crime he did not commit? And without God, why would anyone be moral? Why not just steal and rape and kill if you can get away with it? And without God, death is the final end. We live and we die and we are gone. God gives meaning to life.

A: OK, so you’re saying that belief in God gives benefits to individual people (hope for a better life, even for an eternal life; lessened fear of death; hope that eventually evil will be punished and good, rewarded) and to society in general (less crime).

B: Yes, and there are more benefits as well.

A: OK, so can we suppose that to gain such benefits for itself, the Greeks invented Zeus; the Romans invented Venus; the Norse invented Freyja; the Aztecs invented Quetzalcoatl; the Egyptians invented Isis and Horus; the Incas invented . . .

B: Yes, yes. But what’s your point?

A: I was getting to my point. “ . . . the Jews invented Yahweh; the later Roman Empire invented Jesus?” That seems like an obvious corollary to what you’ve been saying.

B: No, that’s wrong. It’s outrageous. Certainly, almost all known human societies had their own invented gods. But to say that my Gods, I mean, the Gods of the Holy Trinity. Wait, that didn’t come out right. . . .

A: Human societies have a need. They fulfill that need by inventing gods. The genuine God (if such exists) allows almost all humans who ever lived to be born into a society that has false gods. Why should you think that you’re special? Do you believe you’re so very different from all the people who have ever lived? Do you really believe that you were born into a society that worships the one true God, while most of the people who ever lived didn’t have that privilege? Not to mention people alive today.

B: What are you? Some kind of atheist?

A: No. I’m just a guy taking things to their logical conclusion and asking obvious questions.
  • 180 Proof
    A: We need God? Why?Art48
    The same reason we need art – "in order not to die of the truth." ~F.N.
  • javi2541997

A: We need God? Why?

B: To give us hope for a better life. Here, we suffer pain and disease and war.

A selfish use of God. You only want him whenever the circumstances turn bad. Just accept our daily lives are unpleasant.

Without God, what would you tell a mother who just lost her child?

My condolences as the average educated person should do.
  • Nils Loc
    I was in my room, minding my own business, buggering the local barista. The door burst asunder.

"Thou shalt not sodomize!" The authorities cried. "You're under arrest."

"But God told me it was ok bugger the barista."

"Blasphemy!" the police priest shouted. "You've been deluded by Satan."

"But what does God say about North Carolina's hog farm pollution calamity?"

"Shut your trap! Sodomizer! Grace comes to the deserving."
    _______

God gets to trounce secular rule because he is associated with ultimate values by his/her/its cult members. In current times this is very dangerous.

Many use God as an excuse to get what they want (power/wealth). Others are persuaded to follow by a senseless appeal to faith.
  • Tom Storm
    To give us hope for a better life. Here, we suffer pain and disease and war. We lose loved ones. Without God, what would you tell a mother who just lost her child? And for justice.Art48

This is the old, traditional explanation atheists have used to explain the purpose of god. God as white lie. So?
  • god must be atheist
    Humans need god like a fish needs a bicycle.
  • DingoJones

Like a fish needs another set of gills :wink:

Edited to make sense.
  • god must be atheist
    It made perfect sense the original way.
  • DingoJones

I guess it made sense but not in the way I intended. Lol
  • Moses
    Jesus gets girls and demonstrates high-value attractive behavior, but I wouldn't expect philosophers to understand this. Keep it up with the Schopenhauer or Nietzsche. Angry virgins are always right.
  • Agent Smith
    The same reason we need art – "in order not to die of the truth." ~F.N.180 Proof

:fire:

@Bartricks claims that, evolutionarily speaking, there needn't be any real reasons for beliefs though we think/feel there are.

We are survival machines, not truth machines notwithstanding the fact that, in a way, the truth shall set you free.
  • Art48
    This is the old, traditional explanation atheists have used to explain the purpose of god. God as white lie. So?Tom Storm
    Characterizing an argument to dismiss it is not the same as addressing it, especially since there are 2000-year-old, traditional explanations still being accepted and discussed today.
  • Agent Smith
    Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là (I had no need for that hypothesis) — Pierre-Simon Laplace
  • Bylaw
    Do you think fish would invent and make bicycles if they could? Like, most of them would get one?
  • 180 Proof
    We are survival machines, not truth machines ...Agent Smith
    Thus, the atavistic prevalence of group / wishful / magical thinking (i.e. faith) over defeasible thinking (i.e. truth-seeking); the cognitive priority of just-so stories over sound inferences.

:smirk: :up:
  • Tom Storm
    Characterizing an argument to dismiss it is not the same as addressing it, especially since there are 2000-year-old, traditional explanations still being accepted and discussed today.Art48

Tradition being 'accepted and discussed' over time means very little. Hinduism is 4000 years old and has 900 million followers. It is accepted and discussed, but is it true? Is it more true than Christianity? Or is it the case that religions, like most social groups, offer people a sense of belonging and purpose and something to do on weekends? Having met quite a few atheists who used to be fundamentalist Christians - the common observation is that very often what keeps people from leaving religion is the social contact, belonging and community. God/s may not play as big a role as people think.
  • praxis
    I’m just a guy taking things to their logical conclusionArt48

Remind me what the conclusion is again, if you don't mind.
  • Agent Smith
    Thus, the atavistic prevalence of group / wishful / magical thinking (i.e. faith) over defeasible thinking (i.e. truth-seeking); the cognitive priority of just-so stories over sound inferences.180 Proof

I see. :up:
  • Art48
    Remind me what the conclusion is again, if you don't mind.praxis

A: I was getting to my point. “ . . . the Jews invented Yahweh; the later Roman Empire invented Jesus?” That seems like an obvious corollary to what you’ve been saying.Art48
  • praxis

Subsequent to this you say:

The genuine God (if such exists) allows almost all humans who ever lived to be born into a society that has false gods.Art48

And this suggests that one or more faith’s are not invented but genuine.
  • Agent Smith
    Need unpacked:

1. Logical necessity: Is there anything about this universe that requires the existence of God for an explanation?

2. Emotional necessity: Safety blanket/imaginary friend, someone who'll always be there no matter what!
  • Paulm12

Personally, I'm committed to moral realism. And this led me to theism, or the belief that God exists to explain moral realism. Of course, there are those who become moral anti-realists because they realize that moral realism may require theistic belief, and theism is "too high of a price" to pay for moral realism. The moral arguments for the existence of God are the most compelling to me.
  • Jackson
    Personally, I'm committed to moral realism. And this led me to theism, or the belief that God exists to explain moral realism. Of course, there are those who become moral anti-realists because they realize that moral realism may require theistic belief, and theism is "too high of a price" to pay for moral realism. The moral arguments for the existence of God are the most compelling to me.Paulm12

Why do you need God in order to act morally?
  • Paulm12

I don't need God to act "morally" in the sense that I think plenty of people who don't believe in God act morally. But personally, I need God as an explanation (or justification) to why objective moral values exist and that our faculties (rational and emotional) correspond to the existence of these values. It may be strange to say but JL Mackie (and his argument from queerness) actually pushed me towards theism as an explanation to why our moral intuitions could track true or false statements.
  • Jackson
    I don't need God to act "morally" in the sense that I think plenty of people who don't believe in God act morally. But personally, I need God as an explanation (or justification) to why objective moral values exist and that our faculties (rational and emotional) correspond to the existence of these values. It may be strange to say but JL Mackie (and his argument from queerness) actually pushed me towards theism as an explanation to why our moral intuitions could track true or false statements.Paulm12

What morality are you referring to that depends on God? Does one need God to not kill, steal, or lie?
    Isn't not harming others pretty straightforward and practical?
  • Paulm12

I agree that avoiding harming others is indeed straightforward and practical, and I think it serves as a good guide for our own behavior. The issue I see is when trying to convince other people that they should agree with us and not harm other people. Plenty of people are sexist, racist, etc, and while they realize their actions cause harm to another group of people, they simply do not care (in the same way I realize I don't care that my eating of a steak has likely harmed a cow).

When I say "harming humans is wrong," I want this statement to express an ethical statement that is "true" in the sense that it goes beyond my personal preferences for what "right" and "wrong" is and refers to an objective fact about the universe. If emotivism is true and all ethical statements are just expressions of feeling or attitude, rather than assertions or reports of anything, then convincing people of my meta-ethical viewpoint amounts to manipulation. If emotivism is true, I cannot give people good reasons for following what I deem ethical behavior because, despite how I may feel, the underlying justification for my ethical propositions does not exist. Therefore, trying to change peoples' ethical viewpoint on what is "right" or "wrong," or what forms of harm I think they should care about, amounts to treating them as means to my own personal ends.

In other words, say someone's actions harm a group of people, I show them how their actions cause harm, and they respond with "why should I care?" Under emotivism, I cannot give them good reasons for why they should care. Me saying they should do anything is a teleological claim that I must either be willing to justify, or admit that I am lying to them and trying to manipulate their behavior. If moral facts exist (i.e. harming other humans is objectively wrong and this is a fact of the universe), then I can give them a good reason for why they should care-they are wrong or mistaken about how they should behave or treat other people. In other words, with moral realism, we can talk about when someone's moral sense is "faulty" in the same way we may argue someone's vision or hearing is faulty when not functioning "properly." But of course, we need to define and justify what "properly" is and means for humans.
  • Jackson
    In other words, say someone's actions harm a group of people, I show them how their actions cause harm, and they respond with "why should I care?"Paulm12

That is how a sociopath answers.
    Morals are norms, shared customs.
  • 180 Proof
    For my 2 shekels ...
    I need God as an explanation (or justification) to why [ ... ]Paulm12
    Is there anything about this universe that requires the existence of God for an explanation?Agent Smith
    Of course not. "God" is the ultimate "mystery" (according to Abrahamic (& Vedic) traditions) and a "mystery" does not explain anything. "Mystery created it", "Mystery commands it" – beg cosmological and ethical questions, respectively, and therefore cannot answer them.
  • Agent Smith
    Of course not. "God" is the ultimate "mystery" (according to Abrahamic (& Vedic) traditions) and a "mystery" does not explain anything. "Mystery created it", "Mystery commands it" – beg cosmological and ethical questions, respectively, and therefore cannot answer them.180 Proof

:up:

When you put it that way, it becomes crystal clear. Attempting to solve a mystery (the universe and all in it, imcluding ourselves) with another mystery (God/s) is just plain stupid! Why compound our woes so foolishly?!

Perhaps it's part of the territory of unknowns - we can only imagine/speculate and while we get points for creativity, truth & reason take a hit.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.