• Jamal
    This discussion, which appeared for a couple of days on PF, was lost during a technical hiccup of some sort last year, never to appear again. Now I'm posting it here...

There's a famous scene in The Third Man. Harry Lime, played by Orson Welles, has become rich just after the Second World War by stealing scarce penicillin from hospitals, diluting it, and selling it on the black market for high prices, resulting in the deaths of innocent people. One of the characters at one point says this about Lime's actions:

These were murders. Men with gangrened legs, women in childbirth. And there were children too. They used some of this diluted penicillin against meningitis. The lucky children died. The unlucky ones went off their heads. You can see them now in the mental ward. That was the racket Harry Lime organized.

Later, in the famous scene where Lime is confronted, he says this in his defence:

Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace – and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.

Lime is a suitably villainous villain, but doesn't he have a point? Leaving aside his crimes and whether his speech goes any way towards mitigating them or exculpating himself (it doesn't), there does seem to be a problem here. At least, I have a problem thinking about it clearly. On the one hand I abhor warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed (more than that: I believe that humanity can progress beyond them); but on the other hand I celebrate the history of great civilizations such as Renaissance Italy, and recognize that world-changing ideas and works of art – the ideas and works of art that excite us – are often born of societies in transition, riven by war and riddled with cruelty and oppression. Obversely, I confess to an occasional feeling of disdain when I compare these cultures with those that were unremarkable and conservative, even if they were also peaceful. I'm not sure, but I don't think this can be reduced to the same sort of inclinations that lead us to prefer watching movies about Roman gladiators to those about harmonious Icelandic sheep farming communities.

What do you think? How do I make sense of this?

fi09sjq3p96elet2.png
  • Mongrel
    In the years before the Romans destroyed Carthage, there were those who perceived that Rome was on the threshold of becoming a super power. One senator warned that if they destroyed Carthage (and walked over that threshold), there would no longer be anything to keep Rome strong. The good this Roman saw in perpetual warfare is an odd sort of good.

One the one hand, it threatens life. War has the potential to destroy a society. In fact, as Roman senators were debating the destruction of Carthage, the long-standing greatness of civilizations to the east was headed toward the dust-bin as a direct result of exhaustion from war.

But people (especially those who have been caught up in some great conflict) know that war also strengthens. And the Lime character points out that this isn't just the strength to fight the next war. It pervasively animates a people and their culture.

My suspicion is that there is no satisfying answer to the question.
  • Jamal
    Just a note to say these are great replies and I'm not responding just because of my broken arm—which I keep going on about, but only because I don't want people to think I'm ignoring them.
  • Landru Guide Us
    Just a tangential note: until Iceland lost its independence in the 12th century, it was as violent and filled with intrigues as Rome, though on a smaller, more personal scale, as the Sagas attest. Bloody multi-generational feuds dominated its history. Only after various Scandinavian kings imposed order did the internecine feuds diminish.

But I get your point.
  • Sentient
    I almost feel psychology and anthropology are being muddled here. It appears a matter of 'adaptation styles'. Italy 'chooses' or utilizes the peaks and valleys and Switzerland goes for overall stability. What's more there's a fine line between constructive and deconstructive friction, I think.

The entire picture Lime draws is a bit of nonsense in actual fact as Switzerland is quite innovative where medicine and technology are concerned, especially today but alright.

On that note, would you rather be a citizen of Zurich or Rome at the current time? Think carefully before you answer.

That being said, a character such as 'Lime' will always seek out an external locust of control or scape goat. Narcissists and psychopaths never assume personal responsibility for their actions because their frail ego doesn't allow for it.

Therefore, it's neither here nor there and the premise is false as far as I'm concerned. Refering to his comment as 'wisdom' merely legitimizes Machiavellianism and causes its preponderance.
  • BC
    These were murders. Men with gangrened legs, women in childbirth. And there were children too. They used some of this diluted penicillin against meningitis. The lucky children died. The unlucky ones went off their heads. You can see them now in the mental ward. That was the racket Harry Lime organized.

Later, in the famous scene where Lime is confronted, he says this in his defence:

Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace – and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.
    jamalrob

Lime offers no defense for himself.

This year Turing Pharmaceuticals bought a 60 year old but still sometimes critical anti-parasitic drug that previously sold for #13.50 per pill and jacked up the price to $750 per pill. It will now cost maybe $200,000 to treat a patient. Cycloserine, a drug used to treat dangerous multidrug-resistant tuberculosis, was just increased in price to $10,800 for 30 pills from $500 after its acquisition by Rodelis Therapeutics.

The rapacious theft-by-pricing committed by Turing and Rodelis are in the same category of antisocial behavior as Lime's. War may be "the health of the state" (Randolph Bourne, 1918), and whether or not the chaos of war opens a door to new thinking about art, politics, or boiled beans has nothing to do with Lime, Turing, or Rodelis. They're just crooks, and nobody ever said that a criminals were great for the arts or anything else.

WWII wasn't all that great for the arts, was it? Far more art went up in flames or otherwise disappeared than was made as a result of the pillaging of Europe and Asia. Further, war in the 15th and 16th centuries wasn't quite the same as WWI or WWII. Not even close.

Lime is wrapping a dirty, degenerate cloak about his shoulders.

Of course, when we watch a film we'd don't object to the most fascinating characters on the screen depicting slime. Black hatted villains are often far more interesting than the good and noble. We'd rather watch the slut Scarlet O'Hara than her good and noble sister-in-law Melanie (Gone with the Wind).

arhxs8lr9ivt5pf6.png

Martin Shkreli, the "Lime" behind Turing Pharma.
  • lime green zesty citrus
    definitely narcissistic sociopathic they have a God like sense who lives who dies is his choice. Grandiose. Disassociative personality disorder taking away any formal remains of guilt shame or conscience. Sorry so short. FYI did you know we used to have a 10 month year but August and December for DECA were added by the Caesars.
  • Barry Etheridge
    did you know we used to have a 10 month year but August and December for DECA were added by the Caesars.lime green zesty citrus

No. December means 10th month and was always part of the calendar. The 10 month year started with March (Martius) with the 5th to 10th months being named for their number (Quintilis to December). January and February were added to make it 12 months eventually moving all the others up by 2 so that September (7th) became the 9th month and so on. The 5th and 6th month of the 10 month calendar were renamed centuries after becoming the 7th and 8th months by this process; July from Julius Caesar, and August from Augustus.
  • lime green zesty citrus
    I do believe you are correct. Thank you.
    Do you know how I can get my account deactivated. It's not you ha! I just don't use this site.
    There is somebody on this site that in the comments disrespected me I deleted them foolish man has nothing better to do :P than disrupt my equilibrium. I would appreciate it if you could find out for me. He said what name I go under on Facebook and Messenger which I'm cool with but I just thought for this site I would try something really nice and bright and sunshiny so what he got out of it I don't know.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.