• javi2541997
    I have recently received some feedback from other users complaining that the debate of some threads were a complete waste of time. But... inside this issue I perceive they are using irrelevant and illogical denigration.
    How do they perceive time in a sense that they feel like they are losing it when they are reading the threads I take part in?
    According to Kant: Time is only empirically real and does not exist independently among things in themselves.
    How can I waste something so abstract as time that doesn't exist independently?

Individuals are not identical over a period of time in the same way that Aristotelian substances or [Paul] Weissian actualities are the same, without a change of their being; they are the same by reconstituting themselves, by forming their future being to continue what they already are, and by having what they already are continuously become more and more definite and then finally definite as past. Singular individuals are moments of self-formation in the being of individuals. The passing portions of individuals are their being as past contribute to this forming. They contribute to the growing definiteness in singular individuals.

This means that, in terms of Special Relativity, time does not pass in the frame of reference of the photon. This reality, if it is one, threatens to falsify Lieb's entire theory of time. The passing of time is fundamental to Lieb's metaphysics, since individuals only remain "singular" in the present by "reconstituting themselves"; but according to Albert Einstein, time does not pass at the velocity of light. Photos cannot "reconstitute" themselves because they do not exist in the kind of time that allows for change. There can be no change if time does not pass. And, indeed, nothing about a photon changes in the course of its existence.

Then, I personally think that is a paradox the feeling of wasting something that is not inherent in us.
  • universeness
    nothing about a photon changes in the course of its existence.javi2541997

How can a photon be absorbed then?

A few internet quotes:
    Photons get absorbed by the EM fields surrounding the molecules of the material of whatever receives its kinetic energy. The energy in the photon contributes to the degree of excitation of the EM field.

Photon absorption by an atomic electron occurs in the photoelectric effect process, in which the photon loses its entire energy to an atomic electron which is in turn liberated from the atom.
  • Hillary
    How can a photon be absorbed then?universeness

I have told you a thousand times: a photon isnt absorbed! This is the wrong popular view.
  • Hillary
    Photons get absorbed by the EM fieldsuniverseness

Nonsense! An EM field that absorbs photons? WTF wrote that?
  • Hillary
    This means that, in terms of Special Relativity, time does not pass in the frame of reference of the photonjavi2541997

The photon has no frame of reference.
  • universeness
    I have told you a thousand times: a photon isnt absorbed! This is the wrong popular viewHillary

A thousand times??? We have never exchanged regarding photon absorption!
    Nonsense! An EM field that absorbs photons? WTF wrote that?Hillary

It's all over physics sites and in any physics textbooks. Your viewpoint is totally fringe, not mine.
  • Hillary
    It's all over physics sites and in any physics textbooks. Your viewpoint is totally fringe, not mineuniverseness

How can an EM field absorb photons? The field is made of photons. The classical EM field is a chimera. Jesus brither Uni, dont follow the physics bibles blindly... "its in all the books" yes, then it's true!
  • Hillary
    A thousand times??? We have never exchanged regarding photon absorptionuniverseness

Yes! Charged particles couple to the photon field. The photon field is just a field that lays in the vacuum and is used by charged particles to interact. Two electrons couple to a virtual photon, the photon then is alone again, having changed the momenta of the electrons. A real photon is, in a sense, a long lived virtual photon. It couples charges and returns tk virtual loneliness. No absorption. There is only momentum transfer. The momentum is absorbed, not the photon. The return from real to virtual is called, wrongly, absorption.
  • Hillary
    And, indeed, nothing about a photon changes in the course of its existence.javi2541997

A photon works instantaneously. If it's send out herd on Earth, it instantaneously hits the universe. The finite speed of light though is what prevents everything happening at once and makes mass and space possible. If the speed of light were infinite, the it would all be over in a flash.
  • universeness
    How can an EM field absorb photons? The field is made of photons.Hillary

That's like asking how can an ocean absorb a raindrop! Because the ocean is made of water!

The momentum is absorbed, not the photon.Hillary
    The photon's energy is absorbed and is added back into the EM field.
    You say its momentum is absorbed. Momentum has magnitude and direction (a vector), so what big difference between absorbing energy and momentum are you making.

Virtual particles are mathematical only they don't exist in reality!

A photon works instantaneously. If it's send out herd on Earth, it instantaneously hits the universe.Hillary

This means nothing, a photon travels as an excitation of the Universal EM field!
    A photonic excitation from the sun takes almost 8 minutes to traverse the EM field between the Sun and the Earth.
    If the sun exploded now, we would still have 8 minutes left.
    You say the effect is instant but the speed of light is finite, so what's your point?
  • Hillary
    That's like asking how can an ocean absorb a raindrop! Because the ocean is made of water!universeness

In the ocean, there is no drop anymore. In the virtual macroscopic EM field the photons are still there.

Virtual particles are mathematical only they don't exist in reality!universeness

The standard dkgma. There are enlightened physicists who don't agree. Of course they are real. Only not observable directly. Only indirectly.
  • Hillary
    This means nothing, a photon travels as an excitation of the Universal EM field!universeness

But it works instantaneously. There is no space and no time. If you travel with near speed of light to another galaxy, youll arrive in a short time. Almost instantaneously (,when no CMBR were present).
  • Hillary
    You say the effect is instant but the speed of light is finite, so what's your point?universeness

Just think brother Uni, and dont be such an obedient slave to the scientific dogmas!
  • universeness
    Just think brother Uni, and dont be such an obedient slave to the scientific dogmas!Hillary

Right back at ya! except, I would suggest you try to be more open-minded and not so convinced that your musings are correct just because they came from you. I said the same to the DIMP guy, who was much more apoplectic than you, if you suggested his T.o.E was probably wrong.
  • Hillary
    Right back at ya! except, I would suggest you try to be more open-minded and not so convinced that your musings are correct just because they came from youuniverseness

If you knew some physics you would see the DIMP guy talks woowoo!
  • Agent Smith
    a complete waste of time. — javi2541997

:snicker:

Funny, people rarely talk about "a complete waste of space". Hermann Minkowski (spacetime) is gonna turn in his grave.
  • Hillary
    would suggest you try to be more open-mindeduniverseness

Me being more open minded? Jesus brither Uni...
  • Hillary
    Right back at ya! except, I would suggest you try to be more open-minded and not so convinced that your musings are correctuniverseness

And why should I think my musings are not correct?
  • universeness

Not worth my time anymore, I tried!
  • Hillary
    Not worth my time anymore, I tried!universeness

You tried? What did you try?
  • universeness

The most shallow vessels make the loudest noise.
    You are lost!
  • Hillary
    You are lost!
    universeness

On the contrary, Im ahead of my time. I cant help my cosmology is not understood or put down.
  • Hillary
    You are lost
    universeness

Then your vessel makes the sound of an exploding atom bomb! :lol:
  • Hillary
    Hermann Minkowski (spacetime) is gonna turn in his grave.
    10m
    Agent Smith

If he has enough space! :lol:
  • Hillary
    I have recently received some feedback from other users complaining that the debate of some threads were a complete waste of timejavi2541997

I don't think it was a waste of time. We discussed the gods, the origin, and the meaning of life! :wink:
  • Agent Smith
    Hermann Minkowski (spacetime) is gonna turn in his grave.
    10m
    — Agent Smith

If he has enough space!
    Hillary

:snicker:

What a waste of the digital resources space. :roll:jgill
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.