• Vincent
    With the changes in the world in recent years, I have started to think about what if a real catastrophic crisis is heading our way. It has been prophesied by all religions. Climate scientists warn us about it. Mathematics has proof that it is inevitable. Are we really in a sixth mass extinction wave? Is it really going to happen or is it all scaremongering? I would like to get some opinion and discussion from others. Preferably no spam. This is a serious question
    1. Will there ever be an apocalypse? (8 votes)
        No, total bs
        25%
        Yes, very sure
        75%
        No opinion. then don't answer
          0%
    2. If so what will it look like? (8 votes)
        nuclear war
        13%
        climate catastrophe
        50%
        other
        25%
        multiple options (explain)
        13%
    3. When will that take place? (8 votes)
        Certainly not within a hundred years.
        25%
        Sometime in the coming decades
        50%
        sometime in the next few years
        13%
        Before the end of 2022
        13%
    4. How are we going to survive that? (8 votes)
        Not, we are doomed
        38%
        other, please explain
        63%
  • Hillary
    Is it really going to happen or is it all scaremongering?Vincent

Kn the basis of present observations, a reasonable extrapolation to the future shows a grim, dark future. I hesitate to call this Armageddon or the apocalypse, because of the biblical connotations of a god letting his wrath descend on a rotten non-believing humanity. There are non-western cultures, like the Hopi, who make similar predictions (call them a sjibollet). The reason is not disobeying gods but bringing chaos to nature. They object to technology (like Quakers?), which they consider a move away from humanity and an invitation to natural disaster. Of course, you could consider paradise the state of nature unchanged or redirected by human hands, which has a kind of religious load.

Anyhow, as long as technological progress and economical growth are considered measures of progress, it could very well be that the techno-economic TGV speeds up more and more, with an increasing load and that the drivers and maintenance personnel are blind to the abyss it's speeding to.
  • javi2541997
    Will there ever be an apocalypse?Vincent

To be honest, we are already in an apocalypse. Climate change is a big issue and it has changed how the earth works and so, our lives.
    It is a silent apocalypse which will end up in lack of supplies as food and water.
    It is not necessary to be in war to experience an apocalypse
  • Vincent
    It is a silent apocalypsejavi2541997

What if the heat waves that are now underway continue to increase and the ice sheets break off. Then the sea will rise quickly. If you know that about half of the people live by the sea. Then there will be an immense flow of refugees inland. And because it is so hot or because there are immense rains, the crops will fail. There will be no food and drinking water. Do you think there will be no war then? Then I think it's the law to kill or be killed.
    I think that quiet apocalypse we're in right now could be accelerating quickly. It doesn't look like the climate will improve any time soon. Heat records are broken every year.
  • javi2541997
    Do you think there will be no war then? Then I think it's the law to kill or be killed.Vincent

Well, yes. But I guess this would happen in countries which are used to wars and violence.
    For the rest of the world the gap between the rich and poor people will be bigger. But I do not see it as a war like Ukraine or Syria.
  • Vincent
    But I guess this would happen in countries which are used to wars and violence.javi2541997
    Indeed, Europe and America are doomed. But as you know they are bad losers and I fear they want to drag everyone into their conflict.
  • Ciceronianus
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dates_predicted_for_apocalyptic_events

Here's a handy list of the many times the apocalypse has been predicted. You may as well make your own prediction.
  • Vincent

Wow, so many people guessed wrong. :chin: Not hard that no one believes me.
    But I will make a prediction that will probably also be wrong. But if I'm right...... :starstruck:
    2022 is the year, 100% sure
    October is the month, not 100% sure.

Now you can of course laugh at me. We will see
  • Agent Smith
    Judgment Day: 2060, according to the greatest mind the earth has ever known, Isaac Newton. Even his mistakes were correct! :snicker:
  • Jack Cummins

I looked at your poll and began trying to vote, but didn't do so because the categories seemed too clear cut. In particular, I am not sure whether there will be an actual 'apocalypse or not, but wouldn't say that I have no answer because it is something which I wonder about so much. Originally, my thoughts on apocalypse were based on the Bible, with a bit of Nostradamus thrown in.

However, stepping outside of those perspectives the actual possibility of apocalypse still appears to be a possibility with the weapons of mass destruction and ecological issues. But, it is hard to know what will happen and it may be that there are some apocalyptic scenarios, but not ones which affect the entire world. Of course, there could be one ultimate one, such as if the most powerful atom bomb was dropped, destroying all human and other lifeforms, and, possibly the planet itself. Another scenario is the possibility of a meteorite crashing into the earth.
  • I like sushi
    Apocalypse means ‘to reveal’ btw. There have been numerous revelations in human history.
  • 180 Proof
    -yes, very sure
    -climate catastrophe
    -sometime in the coming decades
    -other
    — thread poll
    Ah yeah, the Late Great Anthropocene ...
    https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/comment/582635

(Locally, I've been an entropologist (and, globally, a catastrophist) decades before the 2020 wake-up call.)

From an old thread on "overpopulation" ...
    https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/comment/633815

:death: :flower:
  • Tom Storm
    If you are an Aboriginal person in Australia, the apocalypse began 200 years ago.
  • ASmallTalentForWar
    I don't think or hope to survive an apocalypse (well, maybe I'll hang on as long as possible just to see how bad it gets), but I do think that there are so many people and that human beings are able to survive so many terrible conditions that there will be pretty much no way to eradicate every one or prevent them from perpetuating the species.

We're like cosmic cockroaches.
  • ASmallTalentForWar
    If you are an Aboriginal person in Australia, the apocalypse began 200 years ago.Tom Storm

And, yet, there are still aborigines in Australia. And Sioux in America.

Somehow, people just persist against all odds or even reason.
  • Tom Storm
    And, yet, there are still aborigines in Australia.ASmallTalentForWar

Indeed, and in my role I work with Aboriginal community members in my city of 5 million people. Many describe the arrival of the white man and the persistent impact of this trauma as like the end of times.
  • Hillary
    And, yet, there are still aborigines in Australia. And Sioux in America.ASmallTalentForWar

Living in state controlled land, drinking booze, robbed from their culture and nature. All hail to the western way.
  • Ciceronianus
    Living in state controlled land, drinking booze, robbed from their culture and nature. All hail to the western way.Hillary

All hail to the western way of thinking they're all drunks, you mean?
  • Hillary

Excellent point! Yes, also. The western way has introduced excellent means to evade the pain and misery it introduced! Be it sister morphine or brother booze.
  • SpaceDweller

Our Sun (the star) will eventually die out, therefore we (planet Earth) is doomed for certain at some point if the far future.
  • Hillary
    Our Sun (the star) will eventually die out, therefore we (planet Earth) is doomed for certain at some point if the far future.SpaceDweller

Good point. We will never be able to avoid the final apocalypse. One fine day it hits globally and universally. No worries. Behind us it starts all over again! No trip to heaven nor hell. Eternal recurrence is what its made for.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment