• Hillary
    Belief is a term I try to use carefully. I consider posits. Many worlds is a posit I personally consider to have a higher credence to the 0.1% credence I assign to the god posit.universeness

You are free to believe what you like. But I dont let myself be fooled.
  • Hillary
    In my experience, an expert is (usually) immediately recognizable. Don't ask me how!Agent Smith

It's easy: they seem to know what they talk about. They role play. That's why you are fooled by them... :grin:
  • universeness
    Not realizing the so-called experts are inly human after all. And their scholarly
    and objective knowledge turns out to be no more than an opinion.
    Hillary

But so are you 'only human!' It's up to the individual to decide who in their OPINION they are most convinced by for a particular topic. Expertise and experience in the field you are talking about is imo an important factor but I agree it's not a totalitarian dictate. You have to turn to religious or autocratic political authority to encounter that.
  • javi2541997
    Danger Danger! Who will then decide who has the right to speak?universeness

The mods of this forum, supposedly...
  • Hillary
    If all particles are in truth, merely field disturbances then you never observe the exact same particle twice, as each time you do an experiment you will be involving the field disturbances at that instant in timeuniverseness

But, in truth, they aren't field fluctuations. Maybe field excitations, but these are merely time extended field fluctuations (virtual particles). The fields are secondary, the particles primary. The fields are just mathematical descriptions of particles, not the particles themselves. A particle is just a 6 dimensional structure with charge inside them. The field, an operator valued distribution in spacetime, describes the evolution of the accompanying wavefunctions. The motion of a particle is completely determined.
  • universeness
    The mods of this forum, supposedly...javi2541997

Well someone has to 'moderate,' yes and you will have your opinions as to the fairness of their judgments and there is a mechanism on this forum that allows you to appeal a moderator's decision.
    A relatively fair balance when you compare it with other systems.
    IMO there is no better/fairer system than democracy.
  • javi2541997

Smh... You will never understand me...
  • Hillary
    But so are you 'only human!' It's up to the individual to decide who in their OPINION they are most convinced by for a particular topic.universeness

There you go! So if people want to believe that gods or God truly exist, its up to them.

You have to turn to religious or autocratic political authority to encounter that.universeness

Same can be said of science. And at the moment, it's science that has political power and should be learned at schools by law, as you surely know! So it's just the bible replaced by the physics books. Or computer books, in your case.
  • Hillary

You prefer a dictatorship, Japanese emperor style?
  • universeness
    What's the evidence of a multiverse?Hillary

There is no direct empirical evidence of a multiverse but there are ideas such as continuing inflation creating bubble universes and the fact that life exists in this Universe requiring other failed examples (the goldilocks universe.) If you keep tossing a coin will there be an occasion when it lands perfectly balanced on its edge? Yes but you need a vast number of attempts.
    The Penrose bounce / the oscillating Universe are also interesting posits and if Penrose can actually prove his theory of hawking points then that would be even more interesting.
    You just love your own theory that's all. It's a similar idea to the rather course truth that we like the smell of our own farts but not the smell of anyone elses!
  • Hillary
    There is no direct empirical evidenceuniverseness

:up:

See? Same belief
  • javi2541997

The American calling Japan a dictatorship :rofl:
    YOUR COUNTRY IS THE ONLY ONE IN THE HISTORY WHICH USED NUKE WEAPONS
    so do not speak about others states...
  • universeness
    Smh... You will never understand me..javi2541997

I can only offer to try to but perhaps you are correct.
    Can anyone FULLY understand anyone else?
    Can anyone FULLY understand themselves even? When we don't still know for sure where we came from, why we are here and what our ultimate fate is.
  • universeness
    See? Same beliefHillary

No, you conflate evidence with belief!
  • Hillary
    but there are ideas such as continuing inflation creating bubble universes and the fact that life exists in this Universe requiring other failed examples (the goldilocks universe.) If you keep tossing a coin will there be an occasion when it lands perfectly balanced on its edge? Yes but you need a vast number of attempts.universeness

Unwarranted beliefs! What causes inflation in the first place? A coin can indeed land on its side. It happened with a coin of mine! But there is no connection with many world fantasies. The coin flipping is just a determined process.
  • Hillary
    No, you conflate evidence with belief!universeness

No. You believe in many worlds. But where is the evidence?
  • Hillary
    The American calling Japan a dictatorship :rofl:
    YOUR COUNTRY IS THE ONLY ONE IN THE HISTORY WHICH USED NUKE WEAPONS
    so do not speak about others states...
    javi2541997

Who says Im an American?
  • javi2541997

Agreed. I wish I can reach your intelligence
  • Hillary

Then you're wrong. And I was referring to Japan during wartime. WW2. Yukio regretted not to have entered war. Which was a lucky happening, as he could have been killed. Considering his love for death and blood this would have been no problem...
  • universeness
    But, in truth, they aren't field fluctuations. Maybe field excitations, but these are merely time extended field fluctuations (virtual particles). The fields are secondary, the particles primary. The fields are just mathematical descriptions of particles, not the particles themselves. A particle is just a 6 dimensional structure with charge inside them. The field, an operator valued distribution in spacetime, describes the evolution of the accompanying wavefunctionsHillary

I was watching various QM and QFT offerings on YouTube. Some of the RI lectures are very good. I have watched many of them over the years. I think that the movement now is towards the idea that particles don't exist at all and its all about fields and field fluctuations/disturbances/excitations/perturbations etc. The number of dimensions involved is still a big unknown I think. I still give most credence to the posit that all the field excitations are caused by inter-dimensional vibrating strings.
  • universeness
    No. You belief in many worlds. But where is the evidence?Hillary

No I dont, I assign the posit a credence level.
  • Hillary
    I think that the movement now isuniverseness

Again, propaganda. Don't follow the movement. Follow your own moves. There are a lot of other movements telling that the fields are math. And what it describes as real.
  • Hillary
    No I dont, I assign the posit a credence level.universeness

You see? And some assign higher credence level to gods or God.
  • universeness
    Agreed. I wish I can reach your intelligencejavi2541997

That's very kind! I wish I could convince you that you can defeat your self-doubt and you are easily as intelligent as I am.
  • Hillary

Why you think Im American? Because my last name is Hillary?
  • universeness
    You see? And some assign higher credence level to gods or GodHillary

:rofl: I KNOW! (I hate to throw 'No shit Sherlock! at you I don't mean to offend.) We have been exchanging our views on that very point for quite a while now.
  • Hillary
    No. You belief in many worlds. But where is the evidence?
    — Hillary

No I dont, I assign the posit a credence level.
    universeness

Many worlds just don't exist. So how can you assign them a credence level?
  • Hillary
    I KNOWuniverseness

Finally the universeness has seen the light! You're promoted to real universe! :lol:
  • universeness
    So it's just the bible replaced by the physics books.Hillary

In other words, 'Progress!' :smile:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.