• javi2541997

11 April 1954!

I did quick research and I found out what happened that day all over the world. Here is a brief examples:

Was April 11, 1954 the Most Boring Day in History? :chin:
  • 180 Proof
    11 April 1954!Agent Smith
    So they all showed up on "The Most Boring Day in History" when nobody would notice arrivals from the future? :ok:
  • Agent Smith
    I did quick research and I found out what happened that day all over the world. Here is a brief examples:

Was April 11, 1954 the Most Boring Day in History? :chin:
    javi2541997

So they all showed up on "The Most Boring Day in History" when nobody would notice arrivals from the future? :ok:180 Proof

To both posters above:

If a day can boring so can a week, a month, a year, a decade, a century, a millennium (or two). Despite what we think/believe, this current epoch in human history may not be the most attractive of tourist destinations for chrononauts!

Furthermore, tampering with the past may not be such a good idea, oui?
  • Agent Smith

11 April 1954: The Most Boring Day in History

An AI made that judgment. I'm dying to know what its criteria for interesting/exciting were.
  • jgill
    A problem with non-paradoxical travel to the past to simply witness an event is with the definition of "witness". Does that imply the reception of photon waves from the earlier time? In which case there would have been an actual physical change at that time. Could there be a way of witnessing that would not disturb the physical setting at a particular instant? Since there appears to be time symmetry at the quantum level this might not be a problem.
  • javi2541997
    An AI made that judgment. I'm dying to know what its criteria for interesting/exciting were.Agent Smith

Oh boy the AI again... they are always surprising me. What would be the next? The most philosophical day ever?
  • javi2541997
    Could there be a way of witnessing that would not disturb the physical setting at a particular instant? Since there appears to be time symmetry at the quantum level this might not be a problem.jgill

So interesting argument indeed. :up:
    Related to your question and opinion, the article I have shared previously, says:

Every instance of time travel generating an infinite number of alternative universes might be thought to violate Ockham's Razor, especially since the idea that an alternative universe could be generated in the first place has disturbing consequences for the metaphysics of identity. Simplicity and common sense rebel against such principles -- although serious versions of such metaphysics have been produced to deal with quantum mechanics, and multiple real universes were proposed by the philosopher David Lewis to explain possibility and necessity (after Saul Kripke used Leibniz's idea of "possible universes" to produce a quantified version of modal logic.
  • Agent Smith
    Oh boy the AI again... they are always surprising me. What would be the next? The most philosophical day ever?javi2541997

I feel it would all depend on the nature of the analysis if we could call it that. If what's involved is going through mountains of data, a computer (AI) is the right person for the job.

Fun fact: Computer punch cards were invented for the US census; you know, to speed things up so that the census bureau could meet government deadlines which was 10 years!!!
  • Agent Smith

What about our dear ol' pal the observer effect?
  • javi2541997
    If what's involved is going through mountains of data, a computer (AI) is the right person for the job.Agent Smith

Indeed. But that data was implemented by us. So we are the guilty fellows here :chin: some programmers put a lot of information in the AI but we are ones who put the subjective portion.
    I wish we could know what happened that day and then conclude if it was a real boring day or not!
  • Agent Smith
    Indeed. But that data was implemented by us. So we are the guilty fellows here :chin: some programmers put a lot of information in the AI but we are ones who put the subjective portion.
    I wish we could know what happened that day and then conclude if it was a real boring day or not!
    javi2541997

That's why I'd like to know the criteria for interesting/boring the AI used. Why is 11 April 1954 the most boring day in history? No births/deaths of the movers & shakers of our planet, no disasters, no wars, nada, zilch, nothing!

There's this paradox in mathematics called the Interesting Number Paradox. Have a read, if you like.

So, 11 April 1954 is blah blah blah and that's precisely why it's soooooo interesting! :grin:
  • javi2541997
    There's this paradox in mathematics called the Interesting Number Paradox. Have a read, if you likeAgent Smith

Thanks! :up:

No births/deaths of the movers & shakers of our planet, no disasters, no wars, nada, zilch, nothing!Agent Smith

Well if that is the criteria... I wish we could have more boring days as 11 April 1954 :rofl:
  • Agent Smith
    Well if that is the criteria... I wish we could have more boring days as 11 April 1954 :rofl:javi2541997

Most interesting. :chin: — Ms. Marple
  • Agent Smith
    There's a thin line betwixt panic and excitement, oui?
  • javi2541997

There's a thin line betwixt panic and excitement, oui?Agent Smith

Exactly! Si! I would feel excitement whenever I pass an important exam (or I pursue the ability to travel through the time!) But panic comes with fear and it can be caused by an earthquake or other natural disaster
  • Agent Smith
    We humans have an apocalyptic mindset if you catch my drift. We're alive but we're obsessed with death! Memento mori but don't forget memento vivere!
  • Hillary
    11 April 1954!Agent Smith

Oldham Athletic footballer Jack Shufflebotham sr. died that day! A most memorable day! Any time tourist would have revealed themselves!

We humans have an apocalyptic mindsetAgent Smith

:chin:

The only way to travel back in time would be a temporary reversion of motion. And if that motion were reversed again at my day of birth (24-09-1985), I would have traveled back in time. The past is gone, and only on far away planets they could see me how I acted 10 years ago (at the habitable planet around Proxima Centauri. Can we ourself look at our past? If we could use black hole, maybe. We could direct light and watch the light we emit. But our particles can't go back in time to meet their past versions. Only virtual particles can travel back in time be it over a short span. Suppose I travel back in time a day. I watch myself for a day and see myself travel back. I travel back with myself. We hide together. We watch again, and wait a day. It would get crowded in the past, if my present matter shows up there. Imaginary parallel worlds, from which matter is taken to solve this riddle, won't save the travel.
  • javi2541997
    We're alive but we're obsessed by death! Memento mori but don't forget memento vivere!Agent Smith

Good one! :fire: :100:
    Another one: Tempus fugit! The life is short and time flies so fast.
  • Agent Smith
    Oldham Athletic footballer Jack Shufflebotham sr. died that day! A most memorable day! Any time tourist would have revealed themselves!Hillary

The Butterfly, crushed, that Eckels finds (A Sound of Thunder, Ray Bradbury).

I can't seem to parse the rest of your post.
  • Agent Smith
    Good one! :fire: :100:
    Another one: Tempus fugit! The life is short and time flies so fast.
    javi2541997

:smile:
  • javi2541997
    Can we ourself look at our past?Hillary

It is not even worthy at all. Which happened back in the day remains in the past. We cannot change it neither fix it. We only can learn thanks to the experience
  • Hillary
    It is not even worthy at all.javi2541997

Well, that depends on the past. And because time can only be experienced by looking and remembering the past, it deserves a revisit.
  • javi2541997

It deserves to be considered for. But not so deeply because you cannot modify what happened previously...
  • Hillary
    It deserves to be considered for. But not so deeply because you cannot modify what happened previously...javi2541997

I only read one year old papers. Makes me feel I'm ahead of my time...
  • javi2541997

I also read public documents from the 1970's to not forget what happened back in the past.
  • Hillary

Without a past we can't live the present, in my quite humble opinion. It's very difficult (if not impossible) to experience the present without involving the past.
  • javi2541997

I am agree with you. Past is one of the main reasons of what is happening in our present.
  • Hillary
    I am agree with you.javi2541997

I love your English (no offense!). :grin:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.