• Angelo Cannata

How is this supposed to answer the question “Why didn’t God make us Gods, since he has power to do it and absolutely no problem would have been raised by doing it?”.
  • 180 Proof

A paradox shows the limit of language, not the limit of being.unenlightened
    :clap:

People build boxes with words and then can't get out.T Clark
    :up:

God had to make shit smell, to prevent folks disappearing up their own arses like the Ouroboros.unenlightened
    :lol:

So an answer to your question is; yes, he can create such a rock, but because he doesn't there's nothing he can't do.Michael
    I think "the paradox" really comes down to: Can an omnipotent entity limit its own omnipotence? If it can but does not, it remains omnipotent; if it can and does so, it was omnipotent before it did and is not omnipotent after it did.

Some theists, like Aquinas have realized that. His god is not omnipotent but only maximally potent, thus avoiding an illogical god. Others are stomping their foot and insist on an illogical god but no-one with a working brain takes them serious.ArmChairPhilosopher
    I thought I knew 'my Aquinas' but somehow I've missed or forgotten this "maximally potent" distinction. Thanks, I'll go research it. :cool:
  • Hillary

If gods created life in their image, then the image, by definition, wouldn't be the same as the gods. Life acts like gods, talks like gods, hunts like gods, makes love like gods, flies, crawls, and cries like gods, procreates like gods, fantasizes like gods, theorizes like gods, dives, drills, or stinks like gods, writes, paints, sculpts, gathers, or eats like gods, etcetera. The only thing gods don't do is investigate a material universe and gather knowledge about it, as the material universe was the invention of theirs to create a universe in order to mirror the eternal heavenly life.
  • Angelo Cannata

I am not asking God to make me as an image of him. I am asking God to make me 100% God as well. Why doesn’t he do it?
  • Hillary
    I am not asking God to make me as an image of him. I am asking God to make me 100% God as well. Why doesn’t he do itAngelo Cannata

If they did, they would have given you the power of creation. Things would have gone out of hand. They only needed a mirrored version. Acting like them without the happening occurring that gave rise to the need of a mirror version in the first place.
  • hypericin
    Endless blather, blah blah blah blah blah, when the solution is so simple: omnipotence is an incoherent concept.
  • Angelo Cannata

What’s the problem with giving me the power of creation? Why things would have gone out of hand? Isn’t it assumed as working very well with the three persons of the Trinity? What’s the problem with having some billions of persons, let’s say “the Billionity”, rather than just three, or just one? Why should we impose limits to the ability of God to make Gods all of us?
    It would be similar to making all of us owners of this forum, with the difference that, since all of us would be perfect Gods, we would act in total love, total harmony, total perfection. Where is the problem?
  • 180 Proof
    Endless blather, blah blah blah blah blah, when the solution is so simple: omnipotence is an incoherent concept.hypericin
    Well, "God" is the ur-"incoherent concept" (i.e. empty name), no?
  • Hillary
    , let’s say “the Billionity”,Angelo Cannata

:lol:

Sei un buffone! :smile:

Suppose they did. That would undermine the reason they created life for. The virus in heaven wants to look at viral acting as it was before, like the heavenly tree, monkey, whale, fish, bird, snake, etc. Seeing the happening that caused them to create the universe in the first place is not what's intended.
  • hypericin
    Well, "God" is the ur-"incoherent concept" (i.e. empty name), no?180 Proof

If you demonstrate this then you demonstrate logically and conclusively that God does not exist. Not easily done. But you can demonstrate quite easily that an omnipotent God does not exist: such a quality cannot be instantiated.
  • Changeling
    But you can demonstrate quite easily that an omnipotent God does not exist: such a quality cannot be instantiated.hypericin

Says who?
  • Nickolasgaspar
    Not a philosophical paradox thought....
    Can god cook a burrito so hot that he can not eat it?
  • Angelo Cannata
    Sei un buffone!Hillary

I assume you don’t know that this Italian expression is quite offensive, in Italian it has never a friendly meaning.
  • Hillary

Possiamo farlo gentile! E facile! Siamo Dio! Billione di volte! Scusami.

They called me that in Italy for fun!
  • Angelo Cannata

Ok, I see you are not familiar with the Italian language, maybe you just used Google translate. That's fine, I see it was not your intention.
  • hypericin
    Says who?Changeling
    Says the kinds of contradictions pointed out in the op.
  • Hillary

My father is Italian! Casamicciola, Ischia! Senza traduttore!

Is buffone really bad?
  • Angelo Cannata
    Is buffone really bad?Hillary

Yes, don't use it with Italian people, even when you are joking. It's not like saying "you are ridiculous, you are funny"; it expresses an explicit intention to stop joking and offend seriously, it's like saying "you have no dignity, you don't deserve respect".
  • Changeling
    I've no idea what the fook the op is talking about. Sounds like this:
  • Hillary

Like a buffoon in English? Anyhow, no bad intention meant. I thought it meant someone who makes things bigger, like from "trinity" to "billionty", which sounds rather funny.
  • Nickolasgaspar
    can an omnipotent god create a burrito so hot that he can not eat it?
  • ArmChairPhilosopher
    How you phrased that reminded me of Schrödinger's Cat.
    Maybe god is in a superposition of being able to create the rock and lift it - until you make a measurement (= start to think about it). But unlike with quantum measurements, a conscious observer is necessary to collapse the wave function.
  • Banno
    And hence belief in god requires accepting incoherence. Faith is believing despite the belief being incoherent.

And since the faithful have stoped being rational, they have stopped doing philosophy.
  • Bartricks
    Obviously God can create a rock too heavy for him to lift. An omnipotent person can do anything, thus he can do that.

You seem to think that if someone is able to do something, then they've done it or that their doing it must leave them unaffected. Quite why you'd think such things I do not know.

Can a bachelor get married? Yes. They won't be a bachelor afterwards, but they have the ability to marry.

Can an omnipotent being create a rock too heavy for him to lift? Yes. They won't be omnipotent afterwards. But so what?
  • 180 Proof
    Credo quia absurdum. :smirk:
    ↪whollyrolling And hence belief in god requires accepting incoherence. Faith is believing despite the belief being incoherent.

And since the faithful have stoped being rational, they have stopped doing philosophy.
    Banno
    :100: :fire:
  • Banno
    I would argue...whollyrolling

...no, you don't; you merely assert.

To accept a contradiction is to forfeit rationality and hence to cease to argue.
  • Bret Bernhoft
    Yes, a deity can manifest something impossible for themselves (and/or their followers) to accomplish. And this does confront the issue(s) surrounding whether there is truly an omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscient monotheist deity in charge of everything.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment