• Jackson
    But it was used to show Leibniz was wrong. All relational properties of a left hand and a right hand are the same. Still they are different.Hillary

I think Leibniz is right. He stated a principle of relativity Einstein demonstrated to contemporary physicists. Again, the left and right thing would be based on an absolute measure of space.
  • Hillary
    think Leibniz is right. He stated a principle of relativity Einstein demonstrated to contemporary physicists. Again, the left and right thing would be based on an absolute measure of space.Jackson

Leibniz didn't use relativity as Einstein did. The relation between objects stays the same fir every observer in Leibniz' view, contrary to Einstein's. And Kant proved him wrong with the glove. A relational view denies the difference between left and right.
  • Jackson
    Leibniz didn't use relativity as Einstein did.Hillary

Leibniz explicitly said time and space are relative and not absolute as Newton stated.

Again, I seriously have no idea what the glove thing is. I've heard others say it and it means nothing to me. A glove is about human anatomy. What does that have to do with the structure of the universe?
  • Jackson
    The relation between objects stays the same fir every observer in Leibniz' view,Hillary

No.
  • Constance
    Exactly. You gave no argument.Jackson

Trust me Jackson, 180 Proof is clueless about Kant. His Wiki is the full extent of it.
  • Jackson
    Trust me Jackson, 180 Proof is clueless about Kant. His Wiki is the full extent of it.Constance

Anyone citing wiki for philosophy should not be discussing philosophy.
  • Hillary
    Leibniz explicitly said time and space are relative and not absolute as Newton stated.Jackson

What did he mean by that?
  • Jackson
    What did he mean by that?Hillary

Exactly what Einstein meant. There is no absolute measure of time or space.
  • Hillary
    The relation between objects stays the same fir every observer in Leibniz' view,
    — Hillary

No.
    Jackson

How, according to Leibniz, are the relations of the parts of a goive, damned, a glove! different for you and me?
  • Jackson
    How, according to Leibniz, are the relations of the parts of a goive, damned, a glove! different for you and me?Hillary

What does human anatomy have to do with the structure of the universe?
  • Hillary
    Exactly what Einstein meant.Jackson

Not so sure. The distance between objects varies, according to L?
  • Jackson
    Not so sure. The distance between objects varies, according to L?Hillary

Conceptually. Like I said, Leibniz did not present mathematical demonstrations.
  • Hillary
    How, according to Leibniz, are the relations of the parts of a goive, damned, a glove! different for you and me?
    — Hillary

What does human anatomy have to do with the structure of the universe?
    Jackson

L says the relations between the parts are dependent in the observer. So how does this apply to a glove? It fits for you but not for me?
  • Hillary
    Conceptually. Like I said, Leibniz did not present mathematical demonstrations.Jackson

Space is subjective?
  • Jackson
    L says the relations between the parts are dependent in the observer. So how does this apply to a glove? It fits for you but not for me?Hillary

I genuinely have no idea what the glove thing is supposed to mean.
  • Jackson
    Space is subjective?Hillary

Relational. No such things as things occurring in space for Leibniz.
  • Hillary

It's my question. If the relation between It's parts, as L defines space, is different for two observers then would they be different gloves for each?
  • Jackson
    It's my question. If the relation between It's parts, as L defines space, is different for two observers then would they be different gloves for each?Hillary

If the glove does not fit you have to acquit. Same realm.
  • Hillary
    Relational. No such things as things occurring in space for Leibniz.Jackson

Then Einstein thought differently. E saw space as really existing with objects in it. And space between them.
  • Jackson
    Then Einstein thought differently. E saw space as really existing with objects in it. And space between them.Hillary

Ok.
  • Hillary
    If the glove does not fit you have to acquit. Same realm.Jackson

So for a moving observer the glove might have different relations?
  • Hillary
    OkJackson

What then did you mean with the comparison between L and E?
  • Jackson
    What then did you mean with the comparison between L and E?Hillary

I said it already.
  • Mww
    That the noumon can't be known is questionable.Hillary

Possibly, of course. Just not as Kant’s noumenon.
  • Hillary
    Possibly, of course. Just not as Kant’s noumenonMww

Of course. But as the noumenon can become part of us, simply by litterally eating it, it can turn to phenomenon. Kant tells us that das Ding an Sich can't be known. Which would imply we can't know ourselves, which for some might be the case though.
  • Mww

Edible noumenon. Guarantee that won’t sell. Hell...couldn’t even give it away. I mean....how would it be packaged? Pretty hard to shrink wrap something impossible to perceive, right?
  • Hillary

Isn't noumenon contained in food? You are what you eat.
  • Hillary
    What then did you mean with the comparison between L and E?
    — Hillary

I said it already.
    Jackson

Okay, but their relativisms are different.
  • Jackson
    Okay, but their relativism is a different one.Hillary

Leibniz:
    "As for my own opinion, I have said more than once, that I hold space to be something merely relative, as time is, that I hold it to be an order of coexistences, as time is an order of successions. (Third Paper, paragraph 4; G VII.363/Alexander 25–26)

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/leibniz-physics/#LeiSpaTimSec
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.