• hks
    During a recent discussion of philosophy, a fellow philosopher called me a Romantic Philosopher.

This is perhaps because I believe Aquinas' classic Proofs Of God with all my heart.

Are you also a Romantic Philosopher?

Why or why not?

I am trying to find others.
  • Devans99
    I believe in cause and effect so I think there is something in the prime mover.

I like probability and I calculate the likelihood of a creator of the universe is 97%. Does this make me a romantic too?
  • RegularGuy
    During a recent discussion of philosophy, a fellow philosopher called me a Romantic Philosopher.

This is perhaps because I believe Aquinas' classic Proofs Of God with all my heart.

Are you also a Romantic Philosopher?

Why or why not?

I am trying to find others.
    hks

I don't know what kind of philosopher I am. I believe in God. I believe in Jesus' precepts, but I don't think you can "prove" God's existence through linguistic expression. I believe God is only accessed through faith and love. I also don't believe in free will as being defined as having the capacity to do other than what you did do. I believe it's a matter of God's grace whether or not you believe with love in your heart (as unfair as that might seem, I don't know how to reconcile free will with everything else I believe about the natural world).

So what kind of philosopher am I?
  • hks
    You are a Christian philosopher. You lean towards God's Grace therefore you lean towards Protestant Philosophy. I admire Protestants because of their immense faith in God. That's what I think you are -- offhand.
  • RegularGuy

I guess you could call me a Protestant, but I do admire the Catholics for their devotion to tradition.
  • hks
    There is a rich heritage of Catholic Philosophy which culminates in San Tomas Aquinas. His "proofs of God" are the cornerstone of Catholic Philosophy. I think you would like reading about it. You can easily google it. It is very well known.
  • hks
    You are a mathematical philosopher. It is very common for philosophers also to be mathematicians. Bertrand Russell was a classic example. My high school senior year math teacher was also a mathematical philosopher. So they are everywhere in philosophy.
  • RegularGuy

We studied Augustine when I went to Loyola University Chicago for a semester. Never got to Saint Aquinas. I probably will get around to him, but I wanted to start reading the Wittgenstein thread first.
  • hks
    The saying goes in philosophy that Augustine was a Catholic version of Plato. And that Aquinas was a Catholic version of Aristotle.

This is because Plato was very romantic about God. This is rather remarkable and was radical in ancient Athens which is and always was a very religious city. Back then Athens had many gods.

Aristotle was more logical, however even he noticed that the movement of the planets, comets, Sun and Moon must all have been caused by a Prime Mover.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.