• Deletedmemberzc
    Yes, and it would be a good idea to include the definition challenged by the philosophical inquiry.Nickolasgaspar

There's no challenge, just a thought experiment and a discussion.

Contrary to forum mores, philosophy, the love of wisdom, is the obverse of warfare.
  • Nickolasgaspar
    Sure. I only pointed out that your experiment and questions can be addressed by the common definition of the term...plus it would put us all in the same page since for every word there are usually more than one common usage.
  • Agent Smith
    HEELLLLLLP (me/him/her/it)!!! = Prayer
  • Agent Smith
    That's the idea. :smile: — ZzzoneiroCosm

Simple! I'm not going to prayer meetings anymore. My ears hurt from all the screaming! :snicker:
  • Deletedmemberzc

You must have strayed into a den of Pentacostals: Where a chorus of HELLLLPs can ascend to tongues of fire.

:fire: :hearts: :fire:

Don't burn the baby.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    That's the idea. :smile:
    — ZzzoneiroCosm
    Agent Smith

By the way, when you quote a forum member, if you highlight your selection and use the quote tool (it should appear somewhere on your screen - alternately, it's the cartoon bubble above the text-entry box) the name of the poster you're quoting will appear in red in your post and the poster will receive a notification. If the poster's name appears in black in your post - no notification. :smile:
  • 180 Proof
    :up: :up:

Cover me
    when I run
    Cover me
    through the fire
    Something knocked me
    out the trees
    Now I'm on my knees ...
    — Shock the Monkey
    :monkey: :pray:
  • Deletedmemberzc

Always loved his unique voice.

I'm curious: you call yourself an ekstatic or ecstatic (I forget): I'm curious how you go about it. PM is fine if you'd prefer not to advertise. Silence is always fine vis-a-vis the merely curious.

I have my own pentacostal techniques and (say) hebephreebies but lately prefer the peace of zen. At times un-conated tongues of fire surprise me.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    There's a kind of zen-pentacost hybrid I bump into too.
  • Agent Smith
    I'm slow; to compound my woes, I ain't steady. :snicker: Neither a hare, nor a tortoise!
  • Agent Smith
    Cover me
    when I run
    Cover me
    through the fire
    Something knocked me
    out the trees
    Now I'm on my knees ...
    — Shock the Monkey

:up:
  • 180 Proof
    I have my own pentacostal techniques and (say) hebephreebies but lately prefer the peace of zen. At times un-conated tongues of fire surprise me.ZzzoneiroCosm
    My year and a half of Zen back in the early '80s really had helped me with my flashbacks :sparkle: later in that decade.

As for me today, Zzz..., this sketch from an old post
    [ ... ] five ecstatic practices whereby a person (yoga-like) suspends her ego briefly, in effect, 'standing outside' of her quotidian, anxious & bored, self with more (sudden) awareness of others (i.e. more-than-herself). These five ecstasies are Sleeping, Playing, Praying, Meditating & Contemplating.180 Proof
    For me 'philosophizing' (i.e. reflective inquiry/practice (praxis) + dialectics off/on-line) is how I contemplate daily. It's been decades, however, since I gave up praying or meditating. Aside from strictly regulating my sleep cycle, my other reliable ecstasies include 'walking daily' and 'listening to jazz' while e.g. preparing-eating meals (alone @home) & cleaning / rearranging my place.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    you're definitely not slow :smile:
  • Agent Smith

:clap:

Transcendence, the world demands it, on a daily basis as far as I can tell. 9 times outta 10, we I fall flat on my face; being selfish (sensu amplo) is hardwired, instinctual, irreresistable, but we I must try, oui monsieur?
  • Deletedmemberzc
    I conceive of Play is one of five ecstatic practices whereby a person (yoga-like) suspends her ego briefly, in effect, 'standing outside' of her quotidian, anxious & bored, self with more (sudden) awareness of others (i.e. more-than-herself). These five ecstasies are Sleeping, Playing, Praying, Meditating & Contemplating.180 Proof

Is the word ecstasy an exaggeration here?

Are you defining ecstasy as ego-suspension?

Play is fun and connective and can induce an ego-eliminative flow state. But I don't think of play as ecstatic.

Sleeping can be ecstasy in the lucid dream state....
  • Deletedmemberzc
    Contemplating180 Proof

Contemplation, philosophical or otherwise, can be wholly engrossing, expansive and rewarding. But still to my ear ecstatic has an exaggerated ring.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    ecstatic180 Proof

Or are you thinking more etymologically?

from ek "out" (see ex-) + histanai "to place, cause to stand," from PIE root *sta- "to stand, make or be firm."
  • Deletedmemberzc
    ecstatic practices180 Proof

More definition one than definition two?...

noun
    an overwhelming feeling of great happiness or joyful excitement.
    "there was a look of ecstasy on his face"

an emotional or religious frenzy or trance-like state, originally one involving an experience of mystic self-transcendence.
  • Agent Smith
    ecstatic
    — 180 Proof

from ek "out" (see ex-) + histanai "to place, cause to stand," from PIE root *sta- "to stand, make or be firm."
    — ZzzoneiroCosm

Most interesting! — Ms. Marple

In ecstacy we step outside of ourselves!
  • 180 Proof
    In ecstacy we step outside of ourselves!Agent Smith
    (Brief) suspension of ego. :up:

ecstatic
    — 180 Proof

ZzzoneiroCosm
    Yes.
  • Agent Smith
    (Brief) suspension of ego. :up:180 Proof

Self-abnegation! :fire:

Did you ever come across the psychiatric "disorder" known as Cotard's delusion? It's defined by what has been termed "nihilistic" delusions. A typical symptom is the patient vehemently denying their own existence: "I don't exist" i.e. "I'm dead."

Anatta (no self) in Buddhism is also a similar sentiment.

Transcendence via self-negation: To leap beyond what I am I must reject what I am.
  • 180 Proof
    Self-abnegation!Agent Smith
    No. :rofl:
  • elucid
    I think prayers have only to do with the supernatural. I mean, it's considered prayer when we are requesting help from a supernatural being.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    I mean, it's considered prayer when we are requesting help from a supernatural being.elucid

Except when a baby or adult requests help from an unknown source. Nothing supernatural in that equation. The source qua unknown could just as well be natural.
  • Agent Smith
    Self-abnegation!
    — Agent Smith
    No. :rofl:
    180 Proof

:chin: :snicker: What then?
  • Bird-Up
    Interesting thought. I would consider any communication not directed at a human/domesticated-animal to be a generic prayer. I would also imagine early humans walked a blurry line between god(s) and nature. It could be a desperate cry to nature itself, but I think that still falls under the description of "prayer".

I would also agree that humanity's relationship to Allah/Yahweh is essentially one of parental nature. Even though other gods may not have followed the same pattern.
  • Agent Smith
    A prayer, it seems, is basically two things:

1. A request for assistance. When one embarks on some kinda a project, small or big, one realizes that no matter how good the planning, things could go wrong for various reasons. Thus we pray for assistance to the gods to ensure the success of our enterprise.

2. A request for protection. The late Ray Liotta said in an interview that he wasn't really sure if he believed in god(s) but, he went on to say, found himself praying during his trials and tribulations of which he had a fair share.

Thus prayer is an acknowledgement that

1. We aren't fully in control of our destinies (assistance).

2. Our safety and security isn't guaranteed, nor is timely help on the way from our brethren all the time (protection).

Why aren't we at the helm, in the driver's seat completely? Other people and the universe itself aren't necessarily aligned to your goals, are they now? Though protection is somewhat similar in nature to assistance, you can tell the difference betwixt them by looking at the anxiety level. You're not as desperate in one as you are in the other. Interesting, oui? :snicker:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.