• Gregory
    How do I know that your idea of harmony is the same as mine? A subject like mathshows we all own the same faculty. The mind is conscious and unconsvious, but the intellect is free. I think language comes about by we having the same idea by a pre-estalished harmony and we come up with words to match the thoughts. I know this is backwards in the eyes of language philosophers, but I might be right. They get entangled in many problems i'd rather avoid
  • Devans99
    Can you define what you mean by 'harmony'?

Its an interesting area. We used to maybe growl to indicate unhappiness and grunt to indicate happiness. We have a common agreement on what makes use happy and sad. Maybe this became enriched somehow to form the first proto-language?
  • Kenosha Kid
    I think language comes about by we having the same idea by a pre-estalished harmony and we come up with words to match the thoughts.Gregory

Didn't structuralism kill this idea off? Why would we have different languages for the same thought?
  • Gregory
    How i understand post-structuralism and deconstruction (please don't try to make a distinction or you will break my mind) is that language forms a whole and we can only think of some words at a time in a sentence, so we can't know truth because we are stuck in the world of sentences.

Compatabilism is essential to understanding pre-established harmony. If we are being, potential naturally actualizes. So there is no need for a God. We can know we are being. though the mind might weaken the intellect can be stong. Derrida seemed unwilling to enjoy intellect without knowing the Absolute.
  • Gregory
    words can mean anything, but language works within a social setting. With full stereo vision, a person can literally see space,and we all feel time. The connection between humans create the thoughts we think. How we decided which words mean which thoughts I do not know. But language doesn't speak us. It isn't an obstacle to intellectualization
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.