• Olento

Libido seems to be used in a very similar fashion than "will" or "spirit" or "creativity", or many other substances of that sort. Driving, creating force behind the scenes.Very typical 19th century scientific thinking. Psychoananalysis was indeed scientific back in the days, but we need to understand that the world was something totally different.

I just read Richard Noll's book Aryan Christ, and it opens up very interesting POV to the early years of psychoanalysis. In that account, Freud appears to be very much of scientific type, but Jung is something else.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    Thanks for the input, sounds like an interesting book. Welcome to the forum! :smile:

As to The Aryan Christ, I would say be sure to check and double-check your sources. The "Jung was a Nazi" controversy is - to put it mildly - unsettled. (As far as I know. I'm far from an expert, but I've heard both sides of the story.)

Other folks on the forum may have some input about this controversy.
    @Wayfarer
    @Janus
  • Olento

I also want to add that Jung also was very scientific and meticulous, but his theories were a bit wild, to put it mildly. Anways, Noll's book is just one POV, although almost strangely hostile one. But I enjoy reading it, and especially its descriptions of the strange spiritual scenery of 19th century Europe.
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.