• IvoryBlackBishop
    I was curious if anyone knows of any good philosophy on sports (or other competitive games, such as board games like chess, "esports", and so on). I have one book on my reading list.

Perferably something which focuses on the more 'cerebral' or internal aspects of the sports, such as what goes on in the minds of the athletes, teams, performers and so on.

The "fighting" or purely physical or visceral aspects of the sports or competition are what dumb, ADHD people think that "sports" are all about, but of course this isn't true except the the lowest common demoninator of demographics, which is what most trashy sports "media" is marketed to.

Likewise, I don't know how else to classify sports, but I'd argue they qualify as a performance art; the "fighting" or hideous ADHD aspect is rather the "ugly" part of the sport, while the beauty is in the overal performance, much as how war, and fighting, unlike sports or arts, is ugly, wothless, and hidieous by the very defintion of it (as far as the signifant difference between sports, such as martial arts, and actual ugly violence or conflict, there is a good book called "Meditations on Violence" by Rory Miller, which does a good job explaining this for the 100 or less IQ, ADHD, anti-intellectual 'audiences' who don't know the difference between either or due to a terrible, unhealthy diet of ADHD media voyeurism marketed to the 6th grade reading and intellectual level).

Some good books on fantasy sports, and more 'serious' or 'competitive' aspects of watching and making predictions on athletes and sports teams would be good as well, as opposed to pure 'team fandoms' which sadly take up too much of the co-called sports audiences (thankfully though, sports don't seem to breed quite as much violence and discord as politcs, at least at the lowest, irrational, anti-intellectual and most purely 'visceral' levels).

(Lately I'm playing compettive chess on Chess24; if anyone is a player they can PM me).
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.