• universeness
    I think I have figured it out already. There are no strings. Only closed geometric structures to contain the three basic charges. How does a string vibrate? It easier than they make you think universeness!EugeneW

Well done EugeneW. All you have to do now is convince the likes of Ed Witten, Brian Greene, Sean Carroll, Michio Kaku and Leonard Susskind. If you do, then when you are on TV, I will be able to say to my friends, him!, Hah! I used to chat to him on TPF when he was a nobody, just like me.
    Now, he won't even answer my emails! He's just part of the cosmological elite!!! :naughty:
  • EugeneW

I'm working on it... And when I'm on TV I'll let you come with me. As the co-founder of the new physics. (I'm afraid of cameras, but we cant tellem that!). Dont worry, Ill do the physics talks! You can make jokes!
  • universeness
    Can't you see from the diagram no virtual photon is involved? Virtual particles are the horizontal lines in the diagram, representing two time ordered states. A wiggly line is a photon (like the two externals) and a straight line an electron. In the middle, betwe4the two vertices, there is an electron. The electron goes round in a circle in timeEugeneW

But there is only one horizontal line in the diagram.
    The electron(e-) and positron (e+) are inputs. I took the wiggly lines to be the two 'real' photons emitted and I had always read that no one really knows what's happening in the middle(or horizontal line part) of a Feynman diagram.
  • EugeneW
    But there is only one horizontal line in the diagram.universeness

Exactly. That's the virtual electron. There is no virtual photon (though you could see the two real photons as one long lived virtual photon). That would be the case for two electrons.

You could consider the electron and positron as one long lived virtual electron. Just connect the lines to form a closed line (which represents a vacuum bubble).
  • universeness
    Dont worry, Ill do the physics talks! You can make jokes!EugeneW

It's a deal! By that time you will be able to buy all the single malt whisky's I will need to keep the jokes flowing!
  • EugeneW
    It's a deal! By that time you will be able to buy all the single malt whisky's I will need to keep the jokes flowing!universeness

I guarantee you Ill take you with me! When the going gets tough you can joke me out!
  • EugeneW
    to buy all the single malt whisky's I will need to keep the jokes flowing!universeness

:lol:

Can you imagine?
  • universeness
    Exactly. That's the virtual electron.EugeneW

As I said, when I have read stuff involving Feynman diagrams. The 'horizontal line' is always referenced as 'we don't know what happens here.'
  • EugeneW

That's why it's called virtual. We obviously cant observe it. Which doesn't mean its not happening. The most important stuff happens in the dark...
  • universeness
    Can you imagine?EugeneW

If you know that the virtual can become 'real' then all those virtual bottles of single malt Scottish whisky's that I am imagining in my head right now! YOU CAN MAKE THEM REAL!
    I like your Physics. String theory has never offered me such!
  • EugeneW

:rofl:

String theory, despite its 10 dimensions, offers one teeny weeny string only. I offer fully blown geometrical structures. Like Scottish malt bottles! Still virtual but if we couple to them they get very real!
  • universeness
    Maybe the Final T.O.E will be The EugeneW equations (but with strings attached!).
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.