• Agent Smith
    Why do I feel like "conscription" falls in the same category as "passed away", "bought the farm", "left for his/her heavenly abode"?
  • I like sushi
    It would depend on the level of justification. I may sympathise with their position if their argument is articulate enough and may even be slightly swayed?

I don’t believe any of my positions (points of view, opinions and/or beliefs) should be viewed as unmovable objects.

I stated I am personally against conscription in general. The caveat being I assume there is some possible scenario that would make conscription more appealing as an idea.
  • Tzeentch
    It would depend on the level of justification. I may sympathise with their position if their argument is articulate enough and may even be slightly swayed?I like sushi

This is another way of saying "If I like their argments, it may be justified."

What if you don't like their arguments? Is it not justified then? I'm assuming you don't consider yourself the ultimate arbiter of cosmic justice.

So maybe we are talking past each other. When I talk of justification, justice, I talk of morality and to me any meaningful definition of morality must go beyond personal fancy.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.