• stressyandmessy
    God is an all-loving being and people believe that God loves everyone on an equal level. We have come to this conclusion because we know that God has to love everyone according to the Christian bible. But it seems possible that God has favorites. For example, a parent has two children and the parent has a favorite. She is not a bad mother because she has a favorite she loves both her children equally but she has a deeper connection with the youngest. The daughter and the mother have more in common and this has allowed the daughter to become the mom's favorite. But if the mother began to love the youngest daughter more this would be a problem. It does seem that God would have favorites not because God is a bad deity, but some humans seem more likable than others. But God showing favoritism does seem to be a problem. Over time the deeper the connection the more love will be there. The mother will eventually love the second daughter more than the other. This can be damaging to the first daughter. If God has favorites then God is unfair. Favoritism can be measured in the amount of hardship one has in life, beauty, ability, and the relationship that the person has with God. God does have favorites because people there are people with easier lives, are more beautiful, have more skills, and have a deeper relationship with God. Therefore, God is unfair. If God is truly unfair this is a problem because an unfair deity is not worthy of worship. The deity that is unfair would not be worthy of worship because they created everything. If they are unfair it means that they purposefully make people suffer instead of sin being the reason for suffering. When God shows favoritism it is damaging to the people who they do not favor. We should not worship a God who shows favoritism.
  • 180 Proof
    IMO, Lucifer aka Haasatan is "God's favorite" – raison d'etre – because he alone provides "God" everlasting job (no pun intended) security. "Amen!" :yawn:
  • universeness

Satan as God's enforcer is a painting I have under consideration. Perhaps a handshake between a painted representation of each with a caption like "whosoever offends thee shall answer to me!"
  • EugeneW
    "whosoever offends thee shall answer to me!"universeness

That's a good one, universeness! Sometimes the duo-pact seems human even. What you paint?
  • EugeneW
    God is an all-loving beingstressyandmessy

Who says so? Maybe they are just like all creatures in the universe. Struggling, loving, hating, fighting, accidentally firing up a cigarette with the wrong match that god-children are not allowed to light.
  • Harry Hindu
    For example, a parent has two children and the parent has a favorite. She is not a bad mother because she has a favorite she loves both her children equally but she has a deeper connection with the youngest. The daughter and the mother have more in common and this has allowed the daughter to become the mom's favorite. But if the mother began to love the youngest daughter more this would be a problem. It does seem that God would have favorites not because God is a bad deity, but some humans seem more likable than others.stressyandmessy
    But unlike the mother, God has complete control over the qualities that define and are part of each of its "children" that it creates. God has favorite qualities that define a person and then goes about purposefully making people that possess these qualities to some degree or another. Why would God do that if he loves us all? Why would God purposefully create beings that lack those qualities that he favors?

But God showing favoritism does seem to be a problem.stressyandmessy
    Especially when those God favors happen to be the creators of the religion the God is a part of. Odin favored the Norsemen. Osiris favored the Egyptians. Allah favors the Arabs and God favors the Jews (chosen people).
  • universeness
    That's a good one, universeness! Sometimes the duo-pact seems human even. What you paint?EugeneW

Yeah, oil paintings are one of my hobbies since retirement. I have posted one of my allegorical offerings on a thread called 'get creative' or something like that but I've posted it again below for your 'giggle muscles.':

Natural%20Response.jpg
  • Agent Smith
    Yes, going by how obsessed we are of Him, Sky Father, Old Bearded Guy in the Sky, could any other species rightfully claim to be His favorites?

Lucky us! — Sam Harris

:grin:
  • Bartricks
    God, on normal usage, is an omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent person. Not 'all loving'. Being all loving would seem incompatible with being omnibenevolent, given there are lots of people one ought not to love and lots of behaviours one ought not to love. Someone who loved sadism is a bad person, not a good one.
  • BC
    Of course God has preferences. God likes me more than he likes you, for instance. I can't help it. It's not my fault. I'm not in charge of God's preferences.

God likes Jews more than Gentiles. I'm an exception, not being Jewish but still one of God's faves. Gentiles outnumber Jews 533 to 1, so are far more likely to do things that God, who's kind of fussy, doesn't like. God, who numbers the hairs on our heads, clearly uses a very robust statistical package to keep track of the billions of sins committed every 15 minutes.

you haven't sinned very much, so rumor has it. I've sinned quite a bit--fact. But God still likes me better than you. God likes guys with enough balls to commit sins boldly more than namby pamby pussy-footers' pusillanimous half-assed sins.

God doesn't like wishy-washy wankers. I've always avoided being wishy-washy. God likes that.

Go and do likewise and God will like you too -- but still not as much as he likes me.
  • baker
    But unlike the mother, God has complete control over the qualities that define and are part of each of its "children" that it creates.Harry Hindu

That's Hindu thinking. It's unintelligible to someone with a Christian (or generally, Abrahamic) background.
  • baker
    We should not worship a God who shows favoritism.stressyandmessy

What good is a god who doesn't show favoritism?
  • lll
    If God is truly unfair this is a problem because an unfair deity is not worthy of worship. The deity that is unfair would not be worthy of worship because they created everything.stressyandmessy

If an unfair god is unworthy of worship, and this fairness is our human concept, then it's our own human virtues we worship. We can cut out the muddle man. Thigh wheel be dim. All man.
  • Tom Storm
    God is an all-loving being and people believe that God loves everyone on an equal level. We have come to this conclusion because we know that God has to love everyone according to the Christian biblestressyandmessy

Not sure what kind of Christian theology you dig - there are so many versions - forget that an old book says a thing, a quick look around at nature says to me God is a cunt. Having favourites is the least of its deficiencies. :wink:
  • Sir2u
    Who says so? Maybe they are just like all creatures in the universe. Struggling, loving, hating, fighting, accidentally firing up a cigarette with the wrong match that god-children are not allowed to light.EugeneW

Or as it says in so many holy books, mankind is made in his image. That would really make him a major asshole.
  • Sir2u
    God doesn't like wishy-washy wankers. I've always avoided being wishy-washy. God likes that.Bitter Crank

Just guessing, but does that mean that you are still a wanker?:lol:
  • Sir2u
    What good is a god who doesn't show favoritism?baker

That's right. We all know god lets the sport teams that pray hardest before the game win. If that was not the case then what good would he/she/it be.
  • BC
    does that mean that you are still a wanker?Sir2u

Isn't everybody?
  • Sir2u
    Isn't everybody?Bitter Crank

Biggest club in the world. Free membership. :wink:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.