• L'éléphant
    That's a confused post. Determinism is misplaced when talking about freedom in thinking. It's because determinism puts the issue on action, not thinking, or it just ignores that thinking of doing something is not the same as acting on that thought. To determinism, our actions are what we examine. Which is incorrect.
  • Agent Smith
    That's a confused post. Determinism is misplaced when talking about freedom in thinking. It's because determinism puts the issue on action, not thinking, or it just ignores that thinking of doing something is not the same as acting on that thought. To determinism, our actions are what we examine. Which is incorrect.L'éléphant

No idea what you mean?

Let me put it this way: Is there a difference between someone who can't mull over available options and someone who can? Which do you think is (more) determined or, conversely, more free?

There seems to be a clear difference between considering choices and making them.
  • L'éléphant
    Let me put it this way: Is there a difference between someone who can't mull over available options and someone who can? Which do you think is (more) determined or, conversely, more free?Agent Smith
    This is an incorrect way of looking at it. We have freedom in thinking, but it doesn't mean everyone recognizes it. If someone can't mull over available options, then there's something wrong with him.
  • Agent Smith
    We have freedom in thinkingL'éléphant

Muchas gracias amigo! This is what you've been saying and I'm only trying to figure out how exactly.

Here's a list you might wanna turn over in your head

1. Can't think (stone)
    2. Can think but not about options (stoney)
    3. Can think about options (neither stone nor stoney)

If someone can't mull over available options, then there's something wrong with him.L'éléphant

You mean s/he's mentally ill?
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.