• ArguingWAristotleTiff
    At the base of the Statue of Liberty the following words are engraved in bronze
    The New Colossus
    Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
    With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
    Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
    A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
    Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
    Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
    Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
    The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
    With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!
    Written by Emma Lazarus

gpbudtrsxandwx0h5vo6zklxzauetastiknpuhsd6fm2clnpvgmedi9w9mxqcg8h.jpg

This map would suggest that the door is quickly closing in more than a handful of states. I can logic through why our states are choosing to close the door to accepting refugees, but I wish to remind that those toes we step on today, are likely connected to the asses we will be kissing tomorrow. That lock on the door between "us" and "them" works both ways. If we, as Americans, lock the door, who will open their door for us in the event that we need to seek refuge from our government?
  • Baden
    Sadly unsurprising to see the most "Christian" red states turn out to be among the first to give the red light those in need.
  • discoii
    The Natives should have drowned those pilgrims when they had the chance. Marty, hurry, take me back to the 1600s! I've got to tell some people that these illegals are gonna build golf courses over their ancestors' graveyards!
  • BC
    The governors of the rejecting (or accepting, or no comment) states don't have a say about accepting refugees -- at least, not immediately. Refugees are strictly a federal issue. I don't know why anyone would send Syrians to Alabama anyway, but Alabama doesn't get to say "no".

What the states can do is perform poorly once the refugees get there. This will come easy for most of the rejecting states because they either have perfected, or are working at perfecting, poor performance in general. Bad schools, gun-controlled politeness, low achievement rates, hook worms, pestilential swamps, governors named Walker, and various other failures.
  • unenlightened
    It's unfortunate that pious poetry and monuments do not suffice to sustain virtue. It has, like bread, to be remade each day. One would like to do one's bit and then rest in the warmth of one's goodness memorialised, or, even better, the goodness of the ancestors. But one can only rent virtue; the freehold is not available.
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    I don't know why anyone would send Syrians to Alabama anywayBitter Crank

They might not even notice they left Syria, except for the accents and there being more guns than usual.

Meow!

GREG
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    This reply has been posted on The Philosophy Forum Facebook page. Congratulations and Thank you for your contribution~ 8-)
  • SherlockH

America is at war with the middle east in more than one way. Part of this battle is religous. Jewish people will side with Christians faster than they will a Muslim. Of course they are not going to support letting in refugees from a Muslim ruled country. This battle is like cats and dogs.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Jewish people will side with Christians faster than they will a Muslim.SherlockH
    What makes you think this?
    What evidence do you have to back it up?
  • SherlockH
    The Christian/Jewish Alliance. I think its called the fellowship.
  • S
    If we, as Americans, lock the door, who will open their door for us in the event that we need to seek refuge from our government?ArguingWAristotleTiff

Although I'm sympathetic to positions critical of those governors in favour of "closing the door" on Syrian refugees, I find your quid pro quo reasoning peculiar, out of place, naive, and distasteful. Shouldn't implausible scenarios be lower down in your considerations? I don't consider it to be reasonable to expect anything remotely like what has happened in Syria to take place across the pond. And turning it around to make it about the interests of you and your fellow Americans just seems wrong. In comparison to what they face in Syria, you and your fellow Americans are privileged, prosperous, free and secure. That's the reality. That's how it has been for a long time, and that's how it will continue to be, because America is not Syria - not even close.

These governors should favour "opening the door" simply because it's the right thing to do, for humanitarian reasons.

Oh, and you're welcome for my contribution. Fingers crossed it gets chosen to go on the Facebook page. :pray:
  • Hanover
    America is at war with the middle east in more than one way. Part of this battle is religous. Jewish people will side with Christians faster than they will a Muslim. Of course they are not going to support letting in refugees from a Muslim ruled country. This battle is like cats and dogs.SherlockH

This is a particularly idiotic post, suggesting that American immigration policy is controlled by some Jewish alliance, and but for the Jews, the US would cease being xenophobic. Jews are overwhelmingly liberal, much less populous in southern states, and not rural, meaning there is no reason to think Jews have anything to do with limiting Syrian immigration.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    The Christian/Jewish Alliance. I think its called the fellowship.SherlockH
    Jewish people will side with Christians faster than they will a Muslim.SherlockH

I think it is called a wildly absurd idea with no merit or back up.
  • SherlockH
    Aside from the group itself. I mean thats like saying the Republicans are made up becuase one is Liberal. Even if you are against it does not mean they are fantasy.
  • SherlockH
    It isnt controlled by them. You just are not going to get much back lash if much of the native inhabitants already has issues with whatever group you're against. A large majority of America is mainly Christian or some nomination of it and Jewish. Most of the middle east is Muslim, while they have a smaller majority of Christians, and Jews. However this is one aspect and ignores the several other conflicts which already exist between the countries. You clearly don't pay attention to history or know anything about social groups.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.