• New2K2
    Will not might, in my opinion.
  • 180 Proof
    What makes us better?TiredThinker
    "Better" than? and in what way?

Btw, OP, humans are animals too – loquacious, bald apes.
  • baker
    lesser animals' abilities of awareness pale in comparison to our own — javra

Why do you consider this a matter of awareness, and not of something else?
    — baker

I take it that greater intelligence, for example, endows an animal with greater awareness regarding what is and could be. Conversely, in the absence of any awareness, no degree or type of intelligence could manifest.
    javra

Do you see humans as "the measure of all things", that humans are the ones who decide what is and could be, and humans get to decide this for all other beings?

And again:

lesser animals' abilities of awareness pale in comparison to our own

On what do you base this claim?
  • javra
    Do you see humans as "the measure of all things", that humans are the ones who decide what is and could be, and humans get to decide this for all other beings?baker

No. Definitely not.

As just one measly example: A bee can and will decide for itself whether it will or will not sting a human.

And again:

lesser animals' abilities of awareness pale in comparison to our own

On what do you base this claim?
    baker

Well, on the best, though imperfect, knowledge that we currently have. Technology aside, human awareness is able to understand and analyze its own meta-cognition, issues of meta-ethics, the ontological nature of the cosmos, advanced probability theory, and so forth. No other living being currently known to us exhibits any indication of holding an awareness that is so capable.

Why do you ask?
  • Outlander
    Higher cognitive functioning.

That or marking our territory with inks and dyes instead of just urine, though I've seen both.

I would say embarrassment but I've seen my dog sulk before when he went on the carpet. Also sigh out of boredom or frustration when I would work on projects for hours on end.
  • Raymond
    We are not different from animals. Animals have fixed clothes and thought patterns. We are free to create them. Which is not intrinsically different. We have a moral obligation though towards other kinds of clothes and thought patterns. One pattern is no better than another. Same for clothes.
  • Agent Smith
    According to Diogenes Laërtius, when Plato gave the tongue-in-cheek definition of man as "featherless bipeds," Diogenes plucked a chicken and brought it into Plato's Academy, saying, "Behold! I've brought you a man," and so the Academy added "with broad flat nails" to the definition. — Wikipedia
  • Agent Smith
    Btw, OP, humans are animals too – loquacious apes.180 Proof

:up:
  • boagie

The essence of all life is the same, indeed you are distantly related to every living thing on the planet. There is no difference of essence, but there is to the structures and forms essence has taken on relative to the context niche it has adapted to. Humanity despite it larger brain and developed technologies does not seem to be better for it, and seems to be calling down extinction upon the essence of all life, to be anti-life. I think Raymond and I are on the same page here.
  • Agent Smith
    When does a difference in degrees become a difference in type?
  • boagie
    Agent,
    I believe the differences are in the nature of adaptation, most organisms adapt to a particular niche and display appropriate structures and forms to do so. Man is the only organism that includes in his adaptation the ability to re-structure his environment, so the environment does some of the adapting.
  • 180 Proof
    When does a difference in degrees become a difference in type?Agent Smith
    I suppose when one e.g. can ask that question.
  • baker
    Do you see humans as "the measure of all things", that humans are the ones who decide what is and could be, and humans get to decide this for all other beings?
    — baker

No. Definitely not.
    javra

Then why do you say:

Technology aside, human awareness is able to understand and analyze its own meta-cognition, issues of meta-ethics, the ontological nature of the cosmos, advanced probability theory, and so forth. No other living being currently known to us exhibits any indication of holding an awareness that is so capable.

?
  • Janus
    My view is that of course h. Sapiens evolved pretty much as the science tells us, but reached a kind of threshold through the explosion of the massive human forebrain which enabled abilities profoundly different to any possessed by their simian forbears.Wayfarer

Yes, H.sapiens possesses language; a relatively larger brain, unique tongue and lip structures, sinus cavities and opposable thumbs. All good for grasping.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.