• Yohan
    1 Drugs are chemicals that when consumed alter ones state of consciousness.
    2. Everything is chemical.
    3. All sensing is consuming
    4. All sensations alter our consciousness (to greater or lesser extents)

Am I using the word 'chemical', 'consume', or 'alter ones state of consciousness' too loosely?

For some reason this came to mind when I woke up this morning. Dreaming seems like our brains producing psychedelic hallucinations.

Happy New Years Eve
  • Caldwell
    Am I using the word 'chemical', 'consume', or 'alter ones state of consciousness' too loosely?Yohan
    Yes.

Happy new year!

3. All sensing is consuming
    4. All sensations alter our consciousness (to greater or lesser extents)
    Yohan
    If you define consume, that's intentional action on our part. Perceiving is sensing with or without our intentionality.

Not all sensations alter our consciousness. Our heartbeat goes on 24/7, we sense it, but our consciousness remains the same.
  • Yohan
    If you define consume, that's intentional action on our part. Perceiving is sensing with or without our intentionality.Caldwell
    Fair point, but that would mean if I drink punch, not knowing it is spiked, that I didn't consume alcohol.

Not all sensations alter our consciousness. Our heartbeat goes on 24/7, we sense it, but our consciousness remains the same.Caldwell
    Or the heart beat is producing a consistent state of consciousness?

If we were all drunk all the time, we wouldn't notice it, because none of us would have a baseline sober state with which to compare it with.

I suspect we are all high on being human, with all the chemicals our bodies produce, such as dopamine, serotonin, testosterone or estrogen, and whatever chemicals make us hungry and so on.

Anyway, mostly I enjoy viewing life from different unexpected angles.

Have a nice year. :smile:
  • Caldwell
    Fair point, but that would mean if I drink punch, not knowing it is spiked, that I didn't consume alcohol.Yohan
    Correct. You ingested alcohol, but consumed the punch.
  • Yohan
    Correct. You ingested alcohol, but consumed the punch.Caldwell
    But I missed the punch line.

Too much or too little alcohol? :chin:
  • Caldwell
    Too much or too little alcohol? :chin:Yohan
    Whatever is the amount of spike.
    Honestly, if we're being cross-examined here, would it be fair if you said outright you consumed alcohol, knowing you were deceived that it was a punch?
    I bet you wouldn't say it as plain as that. You have a right to an elaboration and clarification.
  • Yohan

I didn't know there was a difference between these words until now. To bet on the safe side I'd say ingest.

I don't see what is wrong with the picture I was painting though. Is life not somewhat akin to a big drug store in which we all get our fix from something or another?
  • Caldwell
    I don't see what is wrong with the picture I was painting though. Is life not somewhat akin to a big drug store in which we all get our fix from something or another?Yohan
    False analogy. We don't always get a "fix" from the things we like to do. We do things to satisfy something else -- for duty, for love, to improve our skills, or just to pass time.
  • Yohan
    False analogy. We don't always get a "fix" from the things we like to do. We do things to satisfy something else -- for duty, for love, to improve our skills, or just to pass time.Caldwell
    You are right.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.