• Pneumenon
    So, there's this idea of instrumental rationality taking the fore during the Enlightenment and of Western culture (and the rest of the world during the 20thc) slowly becoming more mechanized/rationalized as time goes by. There is a certain perspective that sees this as the unfolding of a unique variety of rationality following the Enlightenment.

Who are some thinkers I should pick up on this note? I've looked into Foucault and Heidegger and I like both, but I'm looking for something more historical in nature, that connects this process specifically to the Enlightenment.

• WayfarerAccepted Answer
    I believe the instrumentalisation of reason is one of the major themes of Adorno and Horkheimer's work, The Dialectics of the Enlightenment.

Critical theorists argue that in the ancient world the concept of ‘reason’ was an objective and normative one. Reason was thought to refer to a structure or order of what ought to be which was inherent in reality itself and which prescribed a certain way of life as objectively rational. Human beings were thought to have a (subjective) faculty which allowed them to perceive and respond to this objective structure of the world; this faculty could then also be called reason in a derivative sense. Even when ancient philosophers spoke of reason as a human faculty (rather than as a structure of the world), their conception of it was ‘substantive’; humans were thought to be able to use reason to determine which goals or ends of human action were worthy of pursuit.

In the post-Enlightenment world the ‘objective’ conception of reason becomes increasingly implausible. Reason comes to be conceived as essentially a subjective ability to find efficient means to arbitrarily given ends; that is, to whatever ends the agent in question happens to have. The very idea that there could be inherently rational ends is abandoned. Reason becomes subjective, formal and instrumental.

The historical process by which reason is instrumentalized is in some sense inevitable and irreversible. The philosophical position called ‘positivism’ draws from this the conclusion that reason itself should simply be identified with the kind of reason used in natural science. Scientific reason, the critical theorists claim, is a particularly highly developed form of instrumental reason. The point of getting an exact depiction of reality as it is and of the causal laws that govern events is to allow humans to manipulate the world successfully so as to attain their ends.
    Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy, Critical Theory
  • Agent Smith
    mechanizedPneumenon

This caught my eye. It has very interesting implications on the East-West dichotomy. Mechanizing thought, reducing thinking to a calculus has largely been a Western endeavor; as if...Western folk are, how shall I put it?, computerish, more so than Eastern folk who never actually got down to reducing thought to mechanical application of (logical) rules. Odd that!

Leibniz, of binary number system & logical calculus fame, did borrow ideas from the I Ching or so I was told. :chin:
  • tim wood
    Collingwood. The Idea of History, The Idea of Nature, An Essay on Metaphysics. All three pdfs on line. But also Amazon, and for a good price Abebooks.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.