• Agent Smith
    Morality is about dos and don'ts which are, if you really look at it, restrictions applied to the possibility space of behavior. Put simply, there are fewer options for good than for bad. I'm going to rely on the Aristotelian Golden Mean principle to prove the point: there are 3 possibilities (2 extremes and, in between, only 1 right/correct way). Think of Goldilocks (too hot, just right, too cold) and also the Buddhist Madhyamaka.

Probability of good, P(G) =

Probability of bad, P(B) =

P(B) > p(G).

There's (got to be) more (twice as much) evil than good in the universe. Since God designed the universe, and the universe is more evil than good, God has to be evil. We have, my friends, a "mean" God.

Relevant other thread :point: Thoughts on the Epicurean paradox.
  • theRiddler
    Such a simple way of viewing things. Nice fractions.
  • Agent Smith
    Such a simple way of viewing things.theRiddler

Simple? Why?
  • theRiddler
    You wouldn't understand or care, yet you speak.
  • 180 Proof
    Since God designed the universe, and the universe is more evil than good, God has to be evil. We have, my friends, a "mean" God.Agent Smith
    Much more likely, there is no "God" (worthy of worship.).
  • Agent Smith
    You wouldn't understand or care, yet you speak.theRiddler

Why wouldn't I understand? How do you know I don't care?
  • Agent Smith
    Much more likely, there is no "God" (worthy of worship.).180 Proof

That's fine by me but what about the problem of (more) evil (than good)?

You know the self-appointed moral police of society seem to be lopsided/asymmetrical in their surveillance e.g. lust is on the list of sins but frigidity (asexuality) is not. The same maybe true of other qualities (only one extreme is treated as bad/evil).
  • 180 Proof
    What "problem"? This moral asymmetry of good & bad / evil is strongly correlated with entropy – the asymmetry of order & disorder – as it's far easier to break something than to make something, or simply put: because the latter has exponentially more failure-states than the former (e.g. one way to be born, countless ways to die).
  • Agent Smith
    This moral asymmetry of good & bad / evil is strongly corollated with entropy – the asymmetry of order & disorder – as it's far easier to break something than to make something, or simply put: because the latter has exponentially more failure-states than the former (e.g. one way to be born, countless ways to die).180 Proof

If I look at a human as I would a machine, it makes sense: There's only one specific permutation of component parts that makes for a healthy person; compare that to the innumerable other permutations that would be regarded as unhealthy. In short there are fewer ways of keeping a person alive & well (good) than dead/unwell (evil).

That the universe is indifferent to our welfare is false; it's decidedly biased against it. How do we even manage to do any good at all? Fighting entropy is a losing battle, no?
  • john27
    Aristotelian Golden Mean principle to prove the point: there are 3 possibilities (2 extremes and, in between, only 1 right/correct way). Think of Goldilocks (too hot, just right, too cold) and also the Buddhist Madhyamaka.Agent Smith

How would this tackle a sort of ends justify the means approach? e.g If you needed to visit your grandmother in another country, and you had three options, one extremely "bad", one extremely "good", and one in between, would the perception of good and bad still hold?
  • Agent Smith
    How would this tackle a sort of ends justify the means approach?john27

The way I see it, ends justifying means is intimately tied to the notion of the greater good, a utilitarian idea and we know Bentham-Mill were all about maximum happiness. This fails to gibe with the golden mean (neither minima nor maxima but medium). I don't think we can reconcile two ethical systems based on ideals that are polar opposites. I could be wrong. Sorry if I am.
  • john27

Oh, I see. Oops.
  • khaled
    This would be valid if every action we took was dictated by picking a random number between 0~9, and if it's from 0~2 then it's evil (too low) 3~6 is just right, and 7~9 is evil (too high). But it doesn't work like that.
  • Agent Smith
    randomkhaled

But it doesn't work like that.khaled

How does it work?

Oh, I see. Oops.john27

:ok:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.