• Tom Storm
    True. But it was 'love', 'truth' and 'justice' - concepts - that were the alleged metaphors, alongside the idea of 'God'. Just as airy, fairy ?Amity

Yes, but for me the key point is they are attached to tangible things. We 'see' love in action, in relation to behavior between people and animals. We can assess 'truth' in relation to an event.

We can't see god attached to faith as anything but a kind of loop of self-reflexivity - I believe in God because I have faith, I have faith because I believe in god... etc.

Of course, I could be wrong and will burn in hell for eternity because I mocked Hebrews 11 and failed to see the concrete nature of the deity in action through grace. In which case, cue Sinatra singing 'Get Happy'
  • Amity
    We 'see' love in action, in relation to behavior between people and animalsTom Storm

Of course, some might argue that 'love' is God (goodness' ) in action, or v.v.

So many concepts, metaphors, so little time.

Bowing out with:
    What is this thing called love ?
    Frank Sinatra (1955)
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=io8xL0_8neM

Cheers :sparkle:
    And no way anyone burns in any damned hell, we are the :fire:
  • neomac
    I couldn't read all the comments but what I would add is that the expression "head of State" looks as a combination of metonymy and metaphor, b/c heads are literally part of human bodies (this is the metonymic aspect) but not States (metaphoric aspect). Compare:
    - he is the leader of the football team
    - he is the chair of the Department of Political Science
    - he is the head of State
1234Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.