• BC
    The should point it at the dark side of the Moon.AgentTangarine

Allow me to alert you to the fact that there is no dark side of the moon. The side we do not see faces the sun as much as the side we do see. Also, the 'far side' of the moon has been surveyed to some extent, and there are interesting differences, The far side has denser rock than the near side.

Also, the Big Bang was around 13 billion light years in the past, not 90 billion.

the image I see when holding a mirrorAgentTangarine

Just shove your head up your ass and get an even better view.
  • Changeling
    Will the pictures JWT beams down be of the past (in terms of the universe)?
  • Wayfarer
    this 60 Minutes segment answers that question

• AgentTangarine
    Also, the Big Bang was around 13 billion light years in the past, not 90 billion.Bitter Crank

I was referring to spatial dimensions. Well, actually you're right. It's only 45 billion ly...

Yes, the dark side of the Moon is the far side. But to us that's pretty dark, as we can't see it.

"Just shove your head up your ass and get an even better view."

:lol:
  • AgentTangarine
    If it works, it will change what we can ask about the universe.Paine

Are you serious?
  • BC
    I was referring to spatial dimensions. Well, actually you're right. It's only 45 billion ly...AgentTangarine

I apparently do not know what I am talking about. "They" say the universe is 13 billion years old, give or take 15 minutes. check. "They" also say the universe is 93.016 billion light years across, one edge to the other. I misunderstood the 'light year' concept. A light year is equivalent to 5.88 trillion miles (9.46 trillion kilometers). a light year is a measure of distance, not time, which is where I got confused. So, for sure the universe is many gazillion miles across--or thick, long, diagonal--however you slice it.

I shall now blush and bow out of this discussion.
  • AgentTangarine
    They" say the universe is 13 billion years old, give or take 15 minutes.Bitter Crank

:lol:
  • AgentTangarine
    So, for sure the universe is many gazillion miles across--or thick, long, diagonal--however you slice it.Bitter Crank

If you slice the whole universe, you get a lot more pieces of the cake than only our observable piece. In the face of this enormous cake we look even smaller... But we are the ones eating it (the cake). And there are infinite universes ahead of us, and an infinite still come... I will get fat...

Merry second Christmas day!
  • Wayfarer
    "They" also say the universe is 93.016 billion light years across, one edge to the other.Bitter Crank

The discrepancy has to do with the expansion of space, I believe. And don't feel abashed, we're all amateurs here, and it's a very technical topic.
  • Agent Smith
    By the way, fun fact: The JWST's design borrows from the ancient Japanese art of origami (paper folding).
  • Changeling
    thank you. I don't understand what the astrophysicist from 4:15 is saying about what can be learned about dark matter/energy.

So, JWT (or JWST) can tell us about the early evolution of galaxies, but she didn't explain what we would specifically find out about dark matter/energy.
  • AgentTangarine
    So, JWT (or JWST) can tell us about the early evolution of galaxies, but she didn't explain what we would specifically find out about dark matter/energy.The Opposite

Maybe a bit about dark matter, if you could find rotation curves of the early galaxies. You could find something about the receding velocity. And find that it was less than the recession velocity of closer galaxies. By means of galactic candles. But nothing essential.
  • Wayfarer
    So, JWT (or JWST) can tell us about the early evolution of galaxies, but she didn't explain what we would specifically find out about dark matter/energy.The Opposite

I don't think anyone knows what they are, only that they must be real, in order to account for the data.

I hadn't reviewed that 60 Minutes segment, there's a ton of James Webb videos on Youtube. The best I've watched is on a service I subscribe to called Curiosity Stream but I didn't post it, because I think it's behind a paywall.
  • Paine

The opportunity to get data about the early universe is seriously important.
  • Changeling
    By means of galactic candlesAgentTangarine

What are those?
  • AgentTangarine
    The opportunity to get data about the early universe is seriously important.Paine

Are you serious? It's already obvious to me what happened at the big bang and before (which can be better described as far away from us).
  • AgentTangarine
    What are those?The Opposite

"Hubble Space Telescope. In astronomy: Dark energy …1980s astronomers began to use Type Ia supernovae as standard candles"

They are standards of light intensities. They all are about the same. It was discovered that some of them stand further as expected. Which implied accelerated expansion.
  • Paine

Why should anybody be interested in what you think?
    So far, you have only offered rhetorical responses.
  • AgentTangarine

I have offered the most actual info of all...It's a waste of money. Pure thought brings you a lot further. For free. No Webb needed.
  • Paine

We live in the bit of experience life offers to us.
    The notion that you have information is suspect as such. Who made you the wizard of worlds not available to us ordinary humans?
  • AgentTangarine
    We live in the bit of experience life offers to us.
    The notion that you have information is suspect as such. Who made you the wizard of worlds not available to us ordinary humans?
    Paine

The wizard of worlds? I didn't create it! But I do understand it. With or without Webb.
  • Paine

That must be really cool for you but useless for your brothers and sisters.
  • AgentTangarine
    The notion that you have information is suspect as such.Paine

Why is that suspect?
  • Wayfarer
    Yes! That was the mini-doco that inspired me to start this thread. Lays it out well and also showcases some of the project leaders.
  • AgentTangarine
    That must be really cool for you but useless for your brothers and sisters.Paine

My brothers and sisters? My sister is not one bit interested. Like most people. Except a few "chosen" ones.
  • Paine

If it is only something that cannot be demonstrated to others, then only silence will suffice.
  • AgentTangarine
    That must be really cool for you but useless for your brothers and sisters.Paine

You think your brothers and sisters are interested in photographs of a 100 million year old galaxy? Nothing to be learned from that.
  • AgentTangarine
    If it is only something that cannot be demonstrated to others, then only silence will suffice.Paine

What on Earth are you talking about? Why should I stay silent? Because it's a silly project?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.