• _db
    The covid pandemic has introduced a new form of employment: remote work, or "work from home" (WFH). These jobs are white-collar and usually pay well. It is not a temporary thing; it looks like WFH will continue even after the pandemic.

What we are seeing then is the emergence of a new social class, the members of which have the privilege to earn all of their income without leaving their homes.

Compare this to the "essential workers", who still have to leave their homes to work, and often do not get paid nearly as well, or have all of the extra benefits WFH people get.

As time goes on, it seems clear that we will see an increasing amount of resentment on behalf of the essential workers, aimed at the privileged WFH class, the pajama-"workers". And members of the WFH class will increasingly become detached from reality, as they make their money at the keyboard, wearing their slippers.
  • Miller
    The work from homers will become lazy and start to shrivel up. They will have to pay essential workers to come in and wipe their asses for them.
  • Snakes Alive
    If you're not sore at the end of the day, you don't work.
  • _db
    It also seems likely that corporate surveillance will rise, as companies will wish to monitor their employees, in order to "make sure" they are actually "working". There may be incidents in which employees are fired because a program, which has been installed on their work computer by corporate IT, detected that they did not click their mouse button a sufficient average number of times in one minute.
  • Albero
    I think in Marxist terms the majority of the WFH is just another evolution of the labor aristocracy, but this time their exploitation is made even more apparent
  • Tom Storm
    I've seen a range of WFH folk who are not privileged; they are call centre workers and other low status IT type roles. Sometimes the home they are in does not sustain their work - a tiny bedsit; a share house with students; a car... The work can be lonely and isolating and I am aware of quite a lot of mental ill health coming out of the WFH arrangements in my city.
  • Book273
    Yes. Increasing amounts of agoraphobia ( I am not using the latest term for this condition, phobias are now out of style, it is some other anxiety disorder), suicide, addiction, and anhedonia are being reported. I would further postulate that in my region suicidal ideation has increased by a factor of five. Serious side effects of Work From Home and other pandemic responses. As our medical officer pointed out a number of months ago "...there are far worse things than Covid." For once, I fully support her statement.
  • Photios

It is a fantastic lifestyle/way to work. I have been doing it for the better part of two decades, so everyone like me is catching up. I respect those who have to actually go somewhere (and all that hassle entails) to earn a living. And pity them.
  • jgill
    Lots of WFH people will be returning to the workplace society simply to be around their fellows. I am a retired prof and a colleague of mine who has been teaching online from our university is relieved, even delighted to return to the classroom. He was on the verge of retiring.
  • Sunlight
    Really bleak outlooks on work from home in here. No doubt it has it's challenges but I've seen an overwhelming amount of support for it across the internet and I think it's very much deserved.

As a software developer who got the opportunity to try it for a month due to COVID, I couldn't have been happier. My life was way more balanced. I saved a lot of money that would have otherwise been wasted on travelling, gained two more hours sleep, cut my junk food intake and had a lot more time and energy on an evening to tend to my hobbies and catch up with friends. I was also way more enthuastic and productive at work.

Without actually considering whether or not it had any merits, the CEO shut it down the first chance he got. I assumed it was a feeling of being undermined since he can code from the comfort of his home as he pleases (..most of the week).

After that opportunity I really started thinking: Why do I go to work when my presence contributes absolutely nothing to getting shit done? In absence of a good reason, I'll probably be looking for a WFH opportunity the moment I wrap up some projects at my current job.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.