• praxis
    You think continuing this provocation is helpful or wise?Amity

All praxis and no play makes praxis a dull boy.
  • Tom Storm
    "Don't even think of trying to fuck with me, because I will destroy you! You can see that I have the power to destroy you!"baker

Precisely, because 'deep down Im a vulnerable little child who needs to be seen to dominate because healthy relationships are beyond me and I am afraid.'
  • baker
    Precisely, because 'deep down Im a vulnerable little child who needs to be seen to dominate became healthy relationships are beyond me and I am afraid.'Tom Storm

No, this doesn't occur to me. The everyday reality is that if one appears poor and weak, people tend to interpret this as "This person must be destroyed, they're asking for it. It is morally right to destroy the weak and unfit." It's how there is a culture of blaming the the person who is worse off (sometimes this coincides with blaming the victim, but not always).
  • god must be atheist
    Nah. I see displays of wealth and health as a matter of setting boundaries and putting up signs -- "Don't even think of trying to fuck with me, because I will destroy you! You can see that I have the power to destroy you!"baker

Wow. Three people, three different ways of opining what creates motivation to generate wealth. Baker: power. Tom: restlessness out of fear of inaction which brings one to introspection. GMBA: promiscuity.

I have seen examples and counter-examples to the explanation of this motivation to all three of our opinions. Wittgentstein was right: it is impossible to guess the motivation of another human being. (Although courts and psychiatrists boast of that skill.)

We used to call it compensation.Tom Storm
    Good pun. (Compensation: for psychological (perceived or real) weaknesses of the self, and also monetarily for work performed.)
  • Amity
    Before I go.
    I'd like to thank @Shawn for starting this worthwhile discussion; much appreciated.
    Also, I apologise if anything I wrote or my 'tone' caused offence to anyone; it wasn't meant.

Anyway, I tried something new in Stoic Week.
    Didn't do it right. Resulted in a bit too much 'calm and peace'.
    NB - Should never lie down in bed when attempting meditation. Unless you wanna :yawn:

Friday Meditation - Bonus audio Donald Robertson View from Above

Love :heart:
    Peace :sparkle:
    Fun :party:
  • Shawn
    I'd like to thank Shawn for starting this worthwhile discussion; much appreciated.Amity

Prego, Hamity. :halo:
  • Amity
    Prego, Hamity.Shawn

:smile: You do know how to inspire.
    Been looking at why I shouldn't eat pigs.
    Who knows where this might lead... :scream:
  • 180 Proof
    :up: :up:

Hence the often misquoted line "To be or not to be, I'm cool either way.."praxis
    :lol:
  • I like sushi
    As a stoicShawn

Still lost I take it? I didn't need to read further.

Look my fellow human. This is pointless. Passivity will just instill more and more self disgust. Step up and away. Stillness is death in the manner you're framing it. Why you want death is beyond me. Seems like a strange choice given the godhood you inhabit as a human.
  • Shawn

So, do away with the Stoicism? Just disregard it?

It's an edifying philosophy to say the least. What should I do?
  • baker
    You're not practicing Stoicism anyway. You might as well ditch the pretense.
  • Shawn
    You're not practicing Stoicism anyway.baker

I'm not matching expectations? I'm pretty sure I know what Stoicism is; but, I don't perform it well in manner, yes?
  • baker
    but, I don't perform it well in manner, yes?Shawn

That's putting it mildly.
  • Shawn

Now what? Pretentions about Stoicism?

I studied Stoicism and know what it means. I also read The Meditations and The Enchiridion. CBT was studied.

I think I have a grasp on Stoicism; but, simply fail at it when I become apathetic. Humdrum.
  • baker
    That's because you don't actually believe the Stoic tenets.

Can you honestly say that you believe that "the divine logos is guiding us all, men and women"?
  • Shawn

I don't believe people have a natural capacity to critical thinking; but, reason or rather rationalize they can.
  • baker
    Then why do you think that you can believe that, and still successfully practice Stoicism??
  • I like sushi
    What should I do?Shawn

Aim - Move - Fail - Glory - Repeat
123456Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention