• Yohan
    Share life advice here. Meaning how to live a good life, and avoid unnecessary suffering in life.

Life advice:
    Don't sell your soul. Put your soul above all else. (Take 'soul' as a metaphor for character or your highet values if you like)

Don't build your house on sand. Build it on rock. (Eg. don't invest your happiness in things that easily change. Invest your happiness in healthy habits and virtues)

Life is limited time and energy. Invest them wisely. (eg. in soulful things)

Know your weaknesses and blind spots and always be on guard of
    them. They have the potential to ruin or greatly hold back your effectiveness.

We all have problems. But don't let your whole life be centered
    around complaining about problems. Life is a gift.

Figure out what you are good at, and use that skill to benefit others. Such will give you a sense of meaning, and people are likely to want to give back to you, monetarily or otherwise.

Learn how to deal with people. How to listen, how to communicate,
    and how to set proper barriers as well as how to get past barriers.

Don't confuse means with ends. Money is means toward getting
    experiences and helping others. Money is not an end in itself.

By their fruit ye shall know them. Beware of smooth talking hypocrites. Who you spend time with is who you will become.
  • Yohan
    For context:
    T Clark:
    Am I hallucinating, or was there a thread called "Life Advice" that has disappeared? What happened? It was a pretty inoffensive thread.
    Hey, @Yohan, was that your discussion?

Yohan:
    Yes. I imagine its deletion was because I didn't state any particular position, provide arguments, nor ask some kind of question to spark discussion.
    If its ok with the mods I'll start a new discussion in The Lounge with a stated intention for it to be a place to drop inspiring and or practical life advices. (Didn't receive a reply after a day, so I figured it would be OK)

Caldwell
    ↪Yohan
    Maybe you could request a reason why it was deleted.

T Clark
    Threads with a lot less going on in the OP have been left in place. It doesn't make sense. What about my deep and insightful words of wisdom? Lost to posterity.
  • Sir2u
    The best advice I can offer is very simple, never take advice from anyone that post more than 2 posts per day on any social media. Including or especially philosophy forums.
  • Nils Loc
    Another unanswerable question is how to apply such advice, if such advice could be vetted to be uncommon and wise, while having no will to do so whatsoever.

How does one find the will to do anything that the suffering (or pleasure) of life doesn't already enforce? What motivates an obstinate ass to pull a cart?

A cloud of uncertainty has already struck all senses, a dreaded doubt encoils me. Good luck, I say to myself, "Good Luck".
  • Caldwell
    Maybe you could request a reason why it was deleted.Yohan
    Apologies. I've forgotten I've contributed to that thread (?)

But this should be good. I didn't see this until now. :sad:
  • Caldwell
    So I'm trying to remember what I said there.

Know your weaknesses and blind spots and always be on guard of
    them. They have the potential to ruin or greatly hold back your effectiveness.
    Yohan
    Yes. Good advice.
  • praxis
    Learn how to relax.
  • Yohan
    Apologies. I've forgotten I've contributed to that thread (?)Caldwell
    Thanks for renewing interest!
  • Yohan
    never take advice from anyone that post more than 2 posts per day on any social mediaSir2u
    And maybe we shouldn't give advice if we are someone who posts more than twice a day on social media.
    Perhaps I shouldn't have shared my own thoughts on advice until I have been living them consistently.
  • Caldwell
    Rant about something. It's good for your blood.

[edit] I meant to say, it's good for your soul. :sad:
  • Caldwell
    Here's one I copied:

When you are content to be simply yourself and don't compare or compete, everyone will respect you.
    ― Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
  • Sir2u
    And maybe we shouldn't give advice if we are someone who posts more than twice a day on social media.Yohan

There you go, you are learning.

Perhaps I shouldn't have shared my own thoughts on advice until I have been living them consistently.Yohan

See, I do give good advice even if I do post more than one post a day.
  • Caldwell
    Stop blaming the "fine prints" for your misfortune. Read whatever you're signing, and most importantly consult other people no matter how great sounding the salesman is before agreeing.
    And if, after all the precautions have been checked, you still signed, always revisit that document -- once a month, once every two months-- and never store it in a place permanently out of sight.
  • Yohan
    Aim to actually succeed at life on the whole, rather than just to succeed at creating an image of success for yourself.

Faking success is easy. Achieving real success is very difficult.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.