• Ioannis Kritikos
    which is worst, false wisdom, false knowledge, or false information?
  • Joshs
    which is worst, false wisdom, false knowledge, or false information?Ioannis Kritikos

uninformative OP’s
  • jgill
    Too much overlap. But false info can lead to false knowledge and then to false wisdom.
  • Wheatley
    which is worst, false wisdom, false knowledge, or false information?Ioannis Kritikos
    False teeth.
  • Wayfarer
    Short OPs.
  • Cabbage Farmer
    I suppose it depends on the particulars of each case.

If I had to pick one in general, I might say that false wisdom is worse, and most important to avoid. If wisdom determines the way we put knowledge and information to use, then we might say "false wisdom" entails abuse of even true beliefs and reliable information.
  • TheMadFool
    false wisdom is worseCabbage Farmer

It'd be like thinking you've finally found the holy grail of philosophy aka living well but unbeknownst to you, it's a fake! So, you go around the world proudly announcing your fabulous discovery (wisdom, the be all and end all of philosophy) only to, one day, have your confidence, pride, and joy dashed to pieces on the unforgiving rocks of reality by those whom it's obvious that the emperor has no clothes.

As the Delphic Oracle warned those who sought guidance, surety brings ruin and just to drive the point home, the wisest person in Greece at one time was Socrates and his claim to the title rested on "I know that I know nothing."

Our journey then, it seems, began roughly 2000 years ago in Athens greece and we, it looks like, haven't made an inch of progress. Ignoramus ignoramibus!
  • tim wood
    the wisest person in Greece at one time was Socrates and his claim to the title rested on "I know that I know nothing."TheMadFool
    Irony notwithstanding.

From our friend the web.
    “εἰδέναι μὲν μηδὲν πλὴν αὐτὸ τοῦτο εἰδέναι“, or “that he knew nothing except that he knew that very fact (i.e. that he knew nothing)”
    A distinction separating them what knows from them what doesn't.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.