• dimosthenis9
    It was the first to achieve political powerBanno

No it wasn't. Every religion(from the very first one) used and achieved political power. They are combined. And humans always used religions for other "purposes". Taking advantage of them.

It wasn't Christianity's privilege at all. It just seems that you find Christianity especially "guilty" for every humanity harm. It has to do with religions in general and not at all with Christianity itself.
  • Wheatley
    Christianity got there first. It's a consequence of the intolerance inherent in monotheism.Banno
    You're just angry at the Christian right.

Was Marin Luther King JR intolerant??
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Luther_King_Jr.
  • 180 Proof
    C'mon. :roll: MLK, Jr was not a theocrat and never wielded state power.
  • Wheatley
    My mistake.

Here's an article about religious toleration. link
  • Wheatley
    The problem is in the imbalance of powers. If Christianity/secular humanism is tolerant towards Islam, Muslims would feel empowered to throw acid on girls.
    So the best solution would be to be intolerant of the intolerant and keep those animals behind a wall.
    stoicHoneyBadger
    MLK preached tolerance!
  • Hanover
    was the first to achieve political power, in late Rome, and to unleash the logical consequence of monotheism - the repression of alternatives.Banno

Your position is that prior to Christianity, there were no oppressive regimes, but that oppression began as the result of monotheism? That's just obviously historucally false. Egypt is one example among many.
  • Banno
    Christianity in the fourth and fifth century went out of its way to destroy temples and burn books; not just religious texts but all philosophical texts. It closed down the great philosophical schools in Alexandria and Athens, martyring not just Hypatia but others. Books were burned gleefully in the town square. Thousand-year old masterpieces were smashed and disfigured.

Something in the order of ninety percent of classical literature was destroyed in that period.

Christianity was the first of the Abrahamic monotheistic religion to achieve large scale political power. It immediately started persecution of non-Christians. Monotheism is an inherently intolerant doctrine.

Them's the facts.
  • Banno
    Your position is that prior to Christianity, there were no oppressive regimes, but that oppression began as the result of monotheism? That's just obviously historucally false. Egypt is one example among many.Hanover

Tell me the story about intolerance in Egypt. Let's take a look. Who persecuted who?
  • Wheatley
    Christianity was the first of the Abrahamic monotheistic religion to achieve large scale political power. It immediately started persecution of non-Christians. Monotheism is an inherently intolerant doctrine.

Them's the facts.
    Banno

:up:
  • Banno
    Why slavery? What do you wish me to see?
  • Hanover
    Why slavery? What do you wish me to see?Banno

Who persecuted who?Banno
  • Banno
    You've lost me. Where did this slavery involve religious persecution?
  • Banno
    A link is not an argument - nor even a claim. What do you want me to see here?
  • Banno
    Egypt is one example among many.Hanover

I had taken you to be referring to Amenhotep.
    He abolished the worship of the traditional gods and promulgated the sun disk, the Aten, and changed his name to Akhenaten, which means ‘Beneficial to the Aten’. He sent his agents up and down the land, armed with their chisels to expunge the names of all the traditional gods from the temples and other monuments that bore their names.

Hmm. Looks to be supporting my contention rather than refuting it.
  • Wheatley

In the Jewish religion, the story of Passover talks about Egyptian slavery of the Jews. I was attempting to explain Hanover's post. I am sorry for not making an argument.
  • Banno
    Was Marin Luther King JR intolerant??Wheatley

SO the argument here is; King was tolerant; hence all Christians are tolerant?
  • Wheatley
    No, merely that some Christians are very tolerant people.
  • Banno
    Cheers. The jews were not tolerated because they would not accept the other gods - isn't that it? that is, because they were intolerant.

Yep. Yet the reason we have so little classical literature is that it was not tolerated by the Christians of the later Roman period, nor the Byzantines.
  • Wheatley
    The jews were not toleratedBanno
    By who?
  • Banno
    The Egyptians - that was your story, no? Set my people free and all that. I dunno - I'm trying to address an argument that has so far not been presented.

Ok, whatever. My point stands.
  • Wheatley
    Ok, whatever. My point stands.Banno

:up:
  • Banno
    t just seems that you find Christianity especially "guilty" for every humanity harm.dimosthenis9

I find it often dishonest. I also think it presumes a morality it has often not demonstrated.
  • Wheatley
    all ChristiansBanno
    I find it disingenuous to group "all Christians" together. There are a lot of subsets of Christianity.
  • Banno
    Sure; but the point stands.
  • Wheatley
    Sure; but the point stands.Banno
    It's hard to follow your point when you didn't even bother to quote the OP!
  • Banno
    There's very little of the works of the ancient Stoics that now exist,
    — Ciceronianus

And this because of the active repression of Stoic ideas by Christians - the tragedy of their rise is the destruction of the literature and art of antiquity.

Sigh.
    Banno

Just for you:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal