• Hanover
    Yeah, and I was taught in Yeshivah that we don't know who Amelek is. (Some extremists have a hunch.)Wheatley

I prefer the non-literal approach, where Amelek represents evil and the reminder that such actually exists. One shouldn't have sympathy for the devil I suppose it is to mean.
  • Wheatley
    I prefer the non-literal approach, where Amelek represents evil and the reminder that such actually exists. One shouldn't have sympathy for the devil I suppose it is to mean.Hanover
    Good. :up:
  • Ciceronianus
    I also deny the historical accuracy of the Old Testament. That is, that didn't actually happen.Hanover

I think that most scholars today doubt the conquest of the Promised Land was actually a conquest, and are inclined to think that the Jews didn't destroy the Canaanites, but actually merged with them, though many of them moved into the area now known as Lebanon.
  • dimosthenis9

The problem is that Christianity is presented here as to have a "privilege" in intolerance compared to other religions. Or that its teaching is worse than other religions.
    People oppressing others is a global, continuous behaviour that you meet it everywhere! Religion, states, jobs, relationships etc.Everywhere!And throughout history. Based obviously in human nature. Human lust for power. And people express it with all kind of ways.

One of the best "vehicles"(especially in global scale) for that are religions. All kind of religions. To claim that Christianity(not even all religions but especially one!) is to blame for that, it's ridiculous. As if its teaching is more oppressive, intolerant than others.

Christianity of coursed used for that purposes also and became oppressive and intolerant. But it's how it was "used" for other purposes. Just an excuse for economic, political, power reasons as one group of people to oppress others! It was made VIA Christianity also. Not CAUSE of it. That's the whole point and that's why an argument like that is impossible to stand logically.
  • Tom Storm
    The problem is that Christianity is presented here as to have a "privilege" in intolerance compared to other religionsdimosthenis9

I think you're right. Most religions ask unacceptable behavior from followers and seek to impose their often bigoted and unsophisticated views on the world. Christianity comes up here most often because that's the dominant and priviledged religion of the West and the one that's crashed into us (often to our cost) the most.

But again I agree - human beings don't need religion to be dreadful - politics and business can produce similarly dire behaviors. But the difference with religion is it makes unverifiable claims about bettering the world. It persistently makes claims that belief in god is somehow a positive, transformative power and the evidence for this never stacks up.

Religions should stop playing the morality card and recognize that they have nothing to offer that any social club can't offer too. Although not all that many social clubs seem to institutionalize child abuse and misogyny to the same high levels... but you get my point.
189101112Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet