• TiredThinker
    I think in general the first Matrix movie was well received and largely understood. But in general I would say the sequel films were not as well appreciated. I was told by a coworker at the time that they were simply doing a Christ/Antichrist dynamic and otherwise the sequels weren't that clever. I've heard it said the sequels were much smarter than the original and simply way ahead of their time. In the light of a 4th film and nearly 20 years since the last one, were the 2nd and 3rd films that smart?
  • TheMadFool
    Like all things, the novelty wore off. Oddly, Neo (new?) dies in the end or that's what they made us think happens. Neo dies twice, why not a third, or a fourth, an nth time?

Money, it seems, can bring people back to life. :lol:
  • Noble Dust

:rofl: For once I agree.
  • TiredThinker
    So was the first film intellectually good or was it too just novalty?
  • Tom Storm
    As a big budget, mainstream movie for a general audience I think the first film was clever and visually striking. I really enjoyed it at the time. Saw the second, not the third.
  • Zugzwang

I loved the first. I could pick holes in it now, but it was just pure entertainment during that first view (almost alone in the theatre for a matinee, with blaring speakers.) The following two were just weak, though the action scenes were still state of the art (from what I remember.)
  • Mikie
    Matrix Resurrections.

More like “Matrix Exhumed.”
  • TiredThinker
    I don't suppose the full cast is official yet? I hope Hugo, Lawrence, and Helmut Bakaitis can still be in this. Doogie Houser can't be a big part of this. Lol.
  • Noble Dust
    Not to be annoying, but how is this thread not relegated to the lounge while others are? At the least it should be in the Phil of Art section, and that would still be generous.
  • baker
    In the light of a 4th film and nearly 20 years since the last one, were the 2nd and 3rd films that smart?TiredThinker
    I really wouldn't know, I fell asleep soon after the beginning.
  • TiredThinker

I just assumed since the movies address reality itself and how the mind can be fooled that it was a philosophical topic. I am not asking about esthetics of the films.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.