• Prishon
    On which grounds are there reasons to give for a rational argument to make a distinction between (a) reason, ratio, an argument, and a ground?

Are they used in different contexts? Are some subsumed in the others? And what does it actually mean to be rational? If I'm banned from a forum and they guy banning me can't give as his ultimate reason for banning me that he doesn't like me because of my views, is that irrational? Or is his reason simply that he doesn't like my view?
  • unenlightened
    Rather than try and arrive at a particular answer or series of answers, which would be at best misleading, I tend to have recourse to a crib sheet, aka a philosophical dictionary.

Here's one that gives you a down and dirty resume of major philosophers and important technical terms. Different philosophers and different historical periods use some terms differently, but if there is no entry for example for 'ground' it indicates that the term is probably informal and vague, thus - ground: something to rest your case on, especially when tired of carrying it.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.