• Prishon
    Is a humanist merely a human who puts humans at the top? Who clongs to humanology? Is it a fake version of a human?
  • javi2541997
    Be careful, a humanist doesn't mean necessarily putting a "human in the top", according to Cambridge dictionary this is the the meaning of humanist:
    a person who believes in humanism (= the idea that people do not need a god or religion to satisfy their spiritual and emotional needs)
    humanist. Cambridge dictionary.
  • Prishon
    Cambridgejavi2541997

Arent that atheists? A true humanist should accept gods too as there are a lot of humans who belive in god. I belive in gods too. I know in fact for sure they exist. How else came the world to be? You could of course argue that the universe is eternal. That is true. Anyhow, Im thankfull to the gods but tell them to f@@@k off if tbey try to invade my life. Makes that a humanist of me?
  • javi2541997
    A true humanist should accept gods too as there are a lot of humans who belive in god.Prishon

It is literally the opposite. Humanism is put ourselves in "God's" place. A true humanist does not need a subterfuge to understand or interpret their beliefs or ideas. They just have another point of view in aspects as morality, ethics, peace, behavior, metaphysics, etc...
    For example: if I do an action (buying alcohol when I am not adult) I do not really care about what God could think about me. It is me and my own decisions as Ortega y Gasset explained.
  • Prishon
    interpretjavi2541997

Sorry. I expresses myself wrongly. They should accept that other people have god(s). They are of course free not to belive that and see themselves as gods. But then they are no gods anymore.
  • javi2541997
    But then they are no gods anymore.Prishon

Why do they need to be like God? What is your concept of "God"?
    Probably the humanists want to live more according to pragmatic life instead of searching forever an unknown answer.
  • Prishon
    searchingjavi2541997

Why do they need to be like God? What is your concept of "God"?

Because they put themselves in his place.
  • javi2541997
    Because they put themselves in his place.
    7m
    Prishon

Or just accept there is not God at all and then start believing in humanity as subject responsible of both rights and duties. There is not place because there never been a God previously.
  • Prishon

"There is not place because there never been a God previously."

That is just a belief.
  • javi2541997
    That is just a belief.Prishon

The same belief as believing in God itself :wink:
  • Prishon
    believingjavi2541997

That's indeed what I mean.
  • Prishon
    believingjavi2541997

Not believing in god is superstition. It is an irrational belief.
  • TheMadFool
    a person who believes in humanism (= the idea that people do not need a god or religion to satisfy their spiritual and emotional needs)

The pre-theistic moral vacuum conundrum for theism
    If god's necessary for morality, explain how humans got to the point, sans religion mind you, when god was introduced to them via revelation by so-called prophets? Those early humans should've killed each other off without religion, assuming religion is, as theists claim, a must for morality.

Proto-morality (there's a thread on it, you'll have to do a search).
  • javi2541997
    Not believing in god is superstition. It is an irrational belief.Prishon

No. Not believing in God is is just a normal state. I do not need any celestial subterfuge to praise or interpret my life. I want to live it with my own self and responsibility.
  • Prishon

". Not believing in God is is just a normal state. I do not need any celestial subterfuge to praise or interpret my life. I want to live it with my own self and responsibility."

The superstition is that you don't need it. That is the subterfuge.
  • javi2541997
    That is the subterfuge.Prishon

There is no subterfuge beacuse I am not excusing my actions and ethics in anything.
  • Prishon
    19mReplyOptionsjavi2541997

"There is no subterfuge"

People themselves are the subterfuge in the humanist case.
  • javi2541997
    People themselves are the subterfuge in the humanist case.Prishon

No. I guess subterfuge is not even related to humanism at all. I think it is about to put humanity in the center of progress and culture, avoiding the image of God.
  • Prishon
    8mReplyOptionsjavi2541997

Also humanists need subterfuge. Not in gods though. Im not sure though in what.
  • Prishon
    Do you know where I can ask about these damned citations appearing every time?
  • javi2541997

You should ask the moderators. Try here in the The Shoutbox
  • Prishon
    thejavi2541997

Thanks for the advice. I will wait to see what happens. Curious what to see no between the quotemarks.:)
  • 180 Proof
    :up:

In my mind, another (more descriptive) word for "humanist" is anthropocentrist.
  • Prishon
    god

"Those early humans should've killed each other off without religion, assuming religion is, as theists claim, a must for morality."

By the same token, they could have loved each other to dead.
  • TheMadFool
    By the same token, they could have loved each other to dead.Prishon

Even though that's really hard for some to wrap their heads around, I can relate to it - for better or worse, my romantic relationships have been exclusively one-sided, myself being the one head over heels in love, the love-interest :meh: and even :vomit:

Love lesson 1.

You want this :point:

You definitely don't want this :point:

Way off-topic but had to get this off my chest.
  • Prishon
    @TheMadFool
    The room is still shaking of my laugh!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.