• Josh Alfred
    What do you think the relationships between "if statements" and human intentions are? Most who have some basic understanding of logic know that if conditionals can be stated as if x then y. How can we utilize that logic when relating it to agency or human intentions?
  • DingoJones

Im not sure how the logic would be different with agency or human intentions. Di you have something good n mind?
  • Josh Alfred
    I could do some creative thinking on this myself, but I am here to get other input than my own rationale will avail.
  • DingoJones

Im sorry to say that the question doesn't make much sense, there is no difference in “if statements” logic when it is applied to agency or human intent. The logical principals remain unchanged, only what is “X” or “Y” would change and again that really doesnt effect the application of a logical principal. Hence why I asked what you had in mind…
  • baker
    What do you think the relationships between "if statements" and human intentions are? Most who have some basic understanding of logic know that if conditionals can be stated as if x then y. How can we utilize that logic when relating it to agency or human intentions?Josh Alfred

You'll need to say more.

If Tom has holes in all his socks, he needs to buy new socks.
    What must Tom do now?
  • baker
    In everyday use, I notice that many people operate poorly with if clauses; ie. they tend to omit the if altogether. So that to the above question, they reply, "Tom must buy new socks."
    It's not clear that this is what the OP has in mind.
  • Corvus
    "If" statements themselves cannot motivate humans to do anything, but they will help form the basis of intentions and certain psychological states for the agents to come to conclusions and make decisions (reasoning). It is the intentions, reasoning and desire which motivate humans to act in certain ways.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment