• hope
    A painful inner vibration

What happens when an unstoppable force hits an immovable wall? It creates a vibration.

What happens when nurture and nature collide? It creates a vibration. We call this "anxiety".

Nurture = Your current beliefs.
    Nature = Your genetic shape.

When your current beliefs contradict your genetics it's like an unstoppable force hitting an immovable wall. It will create a painful inner vibration known as "anxiety".

Basically stop doubting and hating yourself, and start accepting and loving yourself, and your anxiety will be gone. You will then be calm instead of vibrating :grin:
  • javi2541997

The anxiety is intense when the person is most original. — Søren Kierkegaard.

Check this out: Kierkegaard and Existentialism
  • hope
    The anxiety is intense when the person is most original. — Søren Kierkegaard.

Original = different, and difference from others can increase self doubt.

So that quote just proves my original point.
  • Joshs
    Basically stop doubting and hating yourself, and start accepting and loving yourself, and your anxiety will be gone.hope

What if most of your anxieties concern the welfare of those around you that you care about?
  • hope
    What if most of your anxieties concern the welfare of those around you that you care about?Joshs

That's fear not anxiety.

Fear of loss, fear of harm, etc...

Fear is helpful.

Anxiety is caused by your irrational self doubt and self hate related to those things, triggered by those things, etc...
  • Joshs
    Anxiety is caused by your irrational self doubt and self hate related to those things, triggered by those things, etc...hope

You just made that up. Do you have any sources for this peculiar definition of anxiety? It seems to me all you’re doing is trying to distinguish a neurotic from a healthy anxiety. You could do the same thing with all other emotions, including joy.
  • dimosthenis9
    That's fear not anxiety.hope

Isn't anxiety caused by fear? What are you talking about?

Basically stop doubting and hating yourself, and start accepting and loving yourself, and your anxiety will be gone.hope

Sorry my friend but you sound like one of those life coaches, who are to philosophers what mall security guys are for actual police men.
  • hope
    distinguish a neurotic from a. healthy anxiety.Joshs

Fear and anxiety are two different things. Otherwise why have two different words?

Fear is a natural response to prediction of external harm. Anxiety is something else.
  • hope
    Sorry my friend but you sound like one of those life coaches, who are to philosophers what mall security guys are for actual police men.dimosthenis9

Not everything has to be complicated to be true. Also deeper explanations can be requested and given.
  • Joshs
    Fear is a natural response to prediction of external harm. Anxiety is something else.hope

Yes, I think fear and anxiety can be usefully distinguished. Fear involves the anticipation of imminent, serious harm or loss. Anxiety involves the anticipation of an event that may produce a less severe harm or loss , and is not as imminent. Anxiety is worry, rumination, apprehension, restlessness. Anxiety over the upcoming medical test can turn to fear once the result is known. Both fear and anxiety can be described as neurotic or healthy, depending on the circumstances.
  • hope
    Fear involves the anticipation of imminent, serious harm or loss. Anxiety involves the anticipation of an event that may produce a less severe harm or lossJoshs

The strength and duration of the fear doesn't change the fact that it is still fear and not anxiety.
  • Joshs
    You seem to be be forcing these labels into the two categories you want to see them as. You want to describe worry over everything bad that may happen to one’s loved ones as fear, and worry over one’s own self as anxiety. And you want to call the former healthy and the latter unhealthy. But this isnt generally how most psychologists define these terms. They see
    Anxiety as pervasive in modern society. It reflects our struggle to cope with a fast paced, constantly changing world that we are desperately trying to predict and stay one step ahead of. The quality of this feeling, they argue , is different than the intensity and immediacy of fear. That is why it is is suited to modern times , where immediate dangers to survival are uncommon, but an endless series of smaller threats abound.
  • hope

Sure. The more perspectives and knowledge on the subject the better. But that does not invalidate mine.

Also maybe mine is better, and all the others are coming form the very ignorance mine attempts to expose and remove.
  • Joshs
    Also maybe mine is better, and all the others are coming form the very ignorance mine attempts to expose and removehope

That’s cause you Da Man
  • hope
    That’s cause you Da ManJoshs

Or maybe I just think longer and deeper.
  • Joshs
    Or maybe I just think longer and deeper.hope

work it
  • Joshs
    Seriously though. Aren’t you ever kept up at night tossing and turning over concerns about the future? Do you worry about getting older, about illness,? What about work related anxiety, like an upcoming performance review, or conflicts with other employees? Do you have anxiety about speaking in public? Do you get nervous before a sports competition? Do you worry you won’t have enough money to pay the bills , to pay off debt or for retirement?
  • hope

Nobody worries about those things. They just think they do because they are ignorant of the real underlying source and cause of the worry. So they blame all sorts of other things and spend their lives chasing illusions. They try to use self-esteem to fix lack of self acceptance. And conditional self-esteem is always a shaky construction therefore prone to causing worry.
  • Joshs
    They try to use self-esteem to fix lack of self acceptance. And conditional self-esteem is always a shaky construction therefore prone to causing worry.hope

You can’t have self-acceptance without self-understanding. And you can’t have self-understanding without an understanding of your world, particularly your social world and you place in it. And you can’t come to a realization of what needs to be understood about your relationships with other people , how and why they care or don’t care about you, without feeling social anxiety. Social anxiety lets us know what we are puzzled about , what we need to work on. It can be an extraordinarily creative emotion because it shakes us out of our complacency and pushes us to change and grow. I don’t know anyone who achieved healthy self-acceptance without allowing themselves to be open to anxiety and to use it to learn about themselves.
    Self acceptance isnt easy. It is an endless process of development.
  • hope
    Self acceptance isnt easy. It is an endless process of development.Joshs

Or maybe it's about realizing your creator is a billion times vaster than you are so you have no right to doubt or hate yourself.
  • Apollodorus
    Basically stop doubting and hating yourself, and start accepting and loving yourself, and your anxiety will be gone. You will then be calm instead of vibrating :hope

Well, all my anxieties have disappeared just by reading that. :wink:

And, I'm not sure if this is good or bad, but I've definitely stopped vibrating.

BTW, would it be possible to know where you've read all this stuff?
  • hope
    Well, all my anxieties have disappeared just by reading that.Apollodorus

You're anxieties will disappear by learning how to apply it.

would it be possible to know where you've read all this stuffApollodorus

It's my own theory.
  • Daniel

Where is the Physics in your post?
  • Joshs
    Or maybe it's about realizing your creator is a billion times vaster than you are so you have no right to doubt or hate yourself.hope

That’s just going to make you feel worse when you do inevitably doubt or hate yourself.
  • hope
    Where is the Physics in your post?Daniel

What happens when an unstoppable force hits an immovable wall? It creates a vibration.

This is fundamental to the nature of reality. An eternal balance of equally opposing forces underlined by vibration.
  • Apollodorus
    You're anxieties will disappear by learning how to apply it.hope

But what happens if you have no anxieties or don't act on them?
  • Joshs
    BTW, would it be possible to know where you've read all this stuffApollodorus

Apparently somewhere in Leviticus
  • Daniel

Vibrations would require the wall to be movable.
  • hope
    inevitably doubt or hate yourself.Joshs

Then more fully realize what I said so all the traces will be permanently removed.
  • hope
    what happens if you have no anxietiesApollodorus

Then you don't need this post.
  • hope
    Vibrations would require the wall to be movable.Daniel

No it's not movable, but it is made of smaller things, like everything in this universe.

This smaller things dimension is what creates time and change.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.