• TiredThinker
    Assuming a life after corporeal death has never lent evidence of its existence, should we assume the ego invents such a thing as "life" after death? Or does ego and self awareness itself present as evidence of an afterlife existence in that it is probably not necessary for biological life.
  • MAYAEL
    The religion of bumping particles AKA science says there is no afterlife because it wants to quantify something and then repeat the process in order for verification of an afterlife to exist. While I on the other hand think that you cannot use one existence to prove another existence you can't use an imaginary cup with real water or real cup with imaginary water and expect the outcome to be quenching in any way
  • Tom Storm
    We know that humans develop and evolve stories to help make life easier. We are meaning making apes. An afterlife is one way to deal with death - to manage grief and loss. If you've seen people die you will understand that they seem to leave. Where do they go? Answer - a magical place we can't see where they are happy forever - or punished for bad deeds. Humans have a need for symmetry and catharsis. We have no reliable way to verify that there is an afterlife, so why does it matter? Does it seem likely that there is an afterlife?
  • MikeF

And yet so many find comfort or satisfaction in the imaginary. Would that not be considered 'quenching'?
  • MAYAEL

I should have clarified a little bit better
    I was speaking about more of a broader scale not a personal singular individual standpoint because people are still constantly looking for the answer despite the fact some think that they have found the answer so that is what I mean by unquenchable
  • TiredThinker
    So the concensus is our mind invented an afterlife and it was never the result of evidence? Just straight fear of the mind ceasing as the Buddhists may describe when talking about a deep meditation?
  • TiredThinker
    I hope the mind is both ethereal and of the brain since my mother's stroke 15 years ago. I would hate to think we've been caring for a completely different person since then.
  • hope

The ego is the minds projection of itself into the afterlife. From that point of view the ego mind is then ashamed of body death which creates fear of death which is actually just fear of shame. By creating "fear of death" the ego increases desire for survival thus justifying it's evolutionary existence.
  • Hedge33
    Any existence in an afterlife, is not you. If your soul continues to exist after you die, that is not you, you are not a soul. You have a soul (if souls exist at all), but a part of you existing is not you. When you die, your life ends, and there are other lives lived, but those other lives are not you. Just like the person that was alive before you were born, is not you, the next person that is alive is not you. If you define You as that first person narrative, then there are many afterlives. There are other people that will live after you die, and that is your afterlife.
  • theRiddler
    You are a soul. Our lack of perspective is what creates the confusion. Stop seeing the past as dead and gone, but a living thing.

All time coexists simultaneously. There are no true beginnings or endings; biology dictates nothing but longevity.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.