• Enrique

Since you deleted the posts, I won't comment much, but superposition amongst the phosphates of ATP is pretty cutting edge research, don't know a lot about it yet, just saw brief mention in a youtube video. That molecule is not involved in the biochemical pathways of qualitative subjectivity specifically so probably is not involved in producing percepts as per panprotopsychism, but may at least demonstrate that such a mechanism is possible.
  • Alkis Piskas

Exactly. Thanks for proving me right a second time. That's fine. I don't need another proof.
  • bert1
    The (mind)ing is what the brain does.180 Proof

But not (consciousness)ing
  • Mark Nyquist

Sorry I deleted that. My mistake. When I posted it showed up triple so I started deleting.
    I had checked ATP on Google and Wikipedia and tried to summarize. Basically it's present in all cells and its function is to store and release energy. Breaking a phosphate group linkage provides energy and reduces the molecule to ADP. The cells mitochondria uses energy from food to convert ADP to ATP. It plays a role in muscle contraction. It is used in neurons for firing and signal propagation.
    The chemistry of ATP in the neuron gets really involved with binding sites and action potentials.
    The broken off phosphate group is a phosphorus atom with some oxygen bonds, a fairly simple molecule. I'm mostly just reviewing this for myself. It's helpful to get an image of the chemical structure of ATP breaking down to ADP.
  • 180 Proof
    Apparently not.
  • Mark Nyquist
    Here is something to watch out for...since I did a search on Google for quantum consciousness, news articles on quantum consciousness are popping up on my Google news...algorithms maybe.
    I really don't think it's the best science but you might get that idea if it's all you search for.
    There is also the issue of whether or not 'what is consciousness? is a legitimate question. There might be some prerequisite questions like 'is physical matter all there is?'. I would answer yes. Then I would ask 'does mental content exist?'. I would answer yes, if brain function reaches a certain threshold mental content can exist. This way gives you a solid basis for answering related questions such as what is intelligence, what is information, what are thoughts, ideas, beliefs, how higher order functions like language and mathematics work and so on. And after that, you may or may not still want to ask 'what is consciousness?'.
123456Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.