• Tom Storm
    I firmly believe that there are higher forms of consciousness in the universe, probably much higher. After billions of years of universal evolution, perhaps billions of iterations of billions of years, how could there not be?Pantagruel

I forgot to ask. What evidence do you have for this claim and what does it actually mean? I see the word 'perhaps' nestling uncomfortably with 'firmly believe'.
  • Pantagruel
    I forgot to ask. What evidence do you have for this claim and what does it actually mean? I see the worked 'perhaps' nestling uncomfortably with 'firmly believe'.Tom Storm

Yes, this does touch the heart of the matter. What can be firmly believed?

Who is to say what the universe says to each of us? Isaac Newton heard the story of gravity when no one around him did. What we perceive is very largely a function of what we already believe, our natural inclinations, and the scope of our experience. It may well be, for example, that there is some kind of spiritual or noumenal dimension whose information is only manifest to those who actually believe in it. Then people who deny and criticize those who claim to enjoy access to such information are really only confirming their own inability to achieve the requisite belief.

So, to answer your question, yes, this claim represents my intuitive grasp of the features of the universe based on fairly long lifetime of diligent study and dedicated practice. And the preceding is my explanation of the nature of the foundation of such knowledge.
  • jorndoe
    There's a related notion called motivated reasoning.

A terrifying new theory: Fake news and conspiracy theories as an evolutionary strategy (Paul Rosenberg, Salon, Aug 2021)

This isn't so much about formation of belief as about social dynamics.
  • baker
    A terrifying new theory: Fake news and conspiracy theories as an evolutionary strategy (Paul Rosenberg, Salon, Aug 2021)jorndoe

Of course. It's the old conman's art, taken to the next level. I've been saying this for quite some time now.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet