• TheMadFool
    The debate over whether mind is physical or not is as old as the hills. Despite the fact that almost everyone in this day and age subscribes to some variation on physicalism pockets of resistance continue to exist, especially in religion. Some philosophers are closet-nonphysicalist afraid as it were to "come out" lest they be ridiculed, tarred and feathered. Despite nonphysicalism being in the minority, that not everybody is fully convinced that matter & energy (physicalism) is all there's to the universe suggests there are holes big enough in the physicalist's argument to slip in doubt/uncertainty. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

What's the situation we have on our hands?

Either physicalism is true or nonphysicalism is true!

The mind is the epicenter of this roughly 2 thousand year old debate.

If physicalism is true, how amazing is it that the mind (physical) can contemplate on that which it is not - the nonphysical?! The mind is clearly uncertain as to whether it's physical or not?

If nonphysicalism is true, it boggles my mind that the mind (nonphysical) so skilfully comprehends the physical - all of science (the poster child of physicalism) is done by that which's between the ears with experimentation only as tests of ideas.

To make the long story short, either it's the case that a physical mind is thinking of the nonphysical (irony) or that a nonphysical mind understands the physical (double irony).

The Mind-Matter Paradox!
  • Wayfarer
    The mind-body problem can be posed sensibly only insofar as we have a definite conception of body. If we have no such definite and fixed conception, we cannot ask whether some phenomena fall beyond its range. The Cartesians offered a fairly definite conception of body in terms of their contact mechanics, which in many respects reflects commonsense understanding. Therefore they could sensibly formulate the mind-body problem…

[However] the Cartesian concept of body was refuted by seventeenth-century physics, particularly in the work of Isaac Newton, which laid the foundations for modern science. Newton demonstrated that the motions of the heavenly bodies could not be explained by the principles of Descartes’s contact mechanics, so that the Cartesian concept of body must be abandoned*...

There is no longer any definite conception of body. Rather, the material world is whatever we discover it to be, with whatever properties it must be assumed to have for the purposes of explanatory theory. Any intelligible theory that offers genuine explanations and that can be assimilated to the core notions of physics becomes part of the theory of the material world, part of our account of body. If we have such a theory in some domain, we seek to assimilate it to the core notions of physics, perhaps modifying these notions as we carry out this enterprise.

The mind-body problem can therefore not even be formulated. The problem cannot be solved, because there is no clear way to state it. Unless someone proposes a definite concept of 'body', we cannot ask whether some phenomena exceed its bounds.
    — Noam Chomsky, Language and Problems of Knowledge, p. 143-5

*This is because Cartesian philosophy had no conception which could be mapped against gravity.

Also, Hempel's Dilemma:

Physicalism...is the claim that the entire world may be described and explained using the laws of nature, in other words, that all phenomena are natural phenomena. This leaves open the question of what is 'natural', but one common understanding of the claim is that everything in the world is ultimately explicable in the terms of physics. This is known as reductive physicalism. However, this type of physicalism in its turn leaves open the question of what we are to consider as the proper terms of physics. There seem to be two options here, and these options form the horns of Hempel's dilemma, because neither seems satisfactory.

On the one hand, we may define the physical as whatever is currently explained by our best physical theories, e.g., quantum mechanics, general relativity. Though many would find this definition unsatisfactory, some would accept that we have at least a general understanding of the physical based on these theories, and can use them to assess what is physical and what is not. And therein lies the rub, as a worked-out explanation of mentality currently lies outside the scope of such theories.

On the other hand, if we say that some future, "ideal" physics is what is meant, then the claim is rather empty, for we have no idea of what this means. The "ideal" physics may even come to define what we think of as mental as part of the physical world. In effect, physicalism by this second account becomes the circular claim that all phenomena are explicable in terms of physics because physics properly defined is whatever explains all phenomena.
    Wikipedia
  • Banno
    Once more...

No one thinks that all there is, is matter.

Physicalism is a methodological position, that physical explanations ought not involve things spiritual or intensional.
  • Wayfarer
    Physicalism is a methodological position, that physical explanations ought not involve things spiritual or intensional.Banno

Nevertheless philosophical conclusions are often drawn from such methodological premisses.
  • Banno
    Perhaps erroneously.
  • Janus
    This is a tedious, even incoherent, debate. I think it's safe to say that the only people interested in it are those who think it has some bearing on religious faith; either those who wish to justify religion or those who wish to refute it. Either way, it's a fool's errand!
  • Kenosha Kid
    If physicalism is true, how amazing is it that the mind (physical) can contemplate on that which it is not - the nonphysical?! The mind is clearly uncertain as to whether it's physical or not?TheMadFool

It has no problem with the non-real (gods and goblins, souls and supermen, karma and... I can only think of K9, the robot dog from Doctor Who) so the non-physical isn't a stretch. Key is representations. The brain is good at representations, primarily for encoding information about real, physical things but inevitably about non-real, potentially non-physical things (errors, dreams). Add onto that human language, the ability to manipulate symbols that can stand for anything, real or non-real, physical or non-physical, and it doesn't seem _that_ amazing that the brain can comprehend the soul or whatnot. I mean, it _is_ amazing, but the sorts of amazing that are par for the course for the brain.
  • 180 Proof
    :up:

The Mind-Matter Paradox!TheMadFool
    :roll: Only formulations such as yours, Fool, introduce the apparent paradox. For instance (once again), is digesting non-physical? breathing non-physical? walking non-physical? If not, then on what grounds do you 'assume' minding (e.g. intending, choosing, imagining, emoting, experiencing, remembering-recalling, etc) is non-physical? (And by 'non-physical' I mean, using the term as a catch-all, im-material, non/un/super-natural, super-sensible, etc.) The so-called "explanatory gaps", btw, only implies (exposes) current limits of human understanding and knowledge, but nothing more. Show me a 'mind without matter', Fool, and I'll concede that there is a chicken-n-egg paradox with respect to matter-with/without-mind. :smirk:

Either way, it's [The Mad] fool's errand!Janus
    :clap:
  • Wayfarer
    The debate over whether mind is physical or not is as old as the hills.TheMadFool

It’s not - it’s as old as Descartes’ publication of Method - around 1633 from memory. The medieval would never have conceived the question in those terms.
  • TheMadFool
    It’s not - it’s as old as Descartes’ publication of Method - around 1633 from memory. The medieval would never have conceived the question in those termsWayfarer

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Innatism, see Plato's Meno, just another way of saying the mind is nonphysical? Implicit, I agree, but that was probably left as an exercise for future philosophers like all good teachers do.
  • Kasperanza
    I've always seen this idea as a deliberate separation of things that are meant to exist in unison. I believe that the spiritual and material are both true and have value. We are not mindless zombies, nor are we floating ghosts. We are humans.
  • Wayfarer
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Innatism, see Plato's Meno, just another way of saying the mind is nonphysical?TheMadFool

Easy to say in hindsight. Plato would never have conceived it in those terms though. I’ve been reading an article on Ancient Greek mathematics - we automatically interpret those kinds of ideas in light of our own knowledge of mathematics, which is completely alien to them. That doesn’t make them wrong, or us right, but when it comes to such fundamental topics as these, it’s really important to understand that.

I have been reading Pierre Hadot, Philosophy as a Way of Life. ‘Physics’, in the context of the Stoics, has an utterly different meaning to ‘physics’ as the modern world understands it. (I haven’t got time to go and look it up again right now.)

The point I was making in that comment about Descartes was the uniquely modern way of looking at the issue in terms of the stark dualism of ‘mind and body’. Thomas Nagel put it like this:

The modern mind-body problem arose out of the scientific revolution of the seventeenth century, as a direct result of the concept of objective physical reality that drove that revolution. Galileo and Descartes made the crucial conceptual division by proposing that physical science should provide a mathematically precise quantitative description of an external reality extended in space and time, a description limited to spatiotemporal primary qualities such as shape, size, and motion, and to laws governing the relations among them.

Subjective appearances, on the other hand -- how this physical world appears to human perception -- were assigned to the mind, and the secondary qualities like color, sound, and smell were to be analyzed relationally, in terms of the power of physical things, acting on the senses, to produce those appearances in the minds of observers. It was essential to leave out or subtract subjective appearances and the human mind -- as well as human intentions and purposes -- from the physical world in order to permit this powerful but austere spatiotemporal conception of objective physical reality to develop.
    — Thomas Nagel, Mind and Cosmos, Pp 35-36

Many of the arguments on this forum about the subject have this assumed background.

We are not mindless zombies, nor are we floating ghosts. We are humans.Kasperanza

:ok:
  • TheMadFool
    Only formulations such as yours, Fool, introduce the apparent paradox. For instance (once again), is digesting non-physical? breathing non-physical? walking non-physical? If not, then on what grounds do you 'assume' minding (e.g. intending, choosing, imagining, emoting, experiencing, remembering-recalling, etc) is non-physical?180 Proof

You've missed the point. I don't claim that anything is nonphysical. I'm just struck by the irony of the unequivocal fact that, if physicalism is true, something physical (the mind) is trying to connect as it were with that which it is not, the nonphysical. See Wonder Woman meeting a man for the first time:

timestamp@2:46

I'm getting the same feeling as Wonder Woman!

The same applies if nonphysicalism were true. A nonphysical thing (the mind) seems to be the master key to understanding the physical world!

• Wayfarer
    Do you really have to post YouTube videos MF? Do you think we’re all pre-schoolers? :brow:
  • TheMadFool
    We are not mindless zombies, nor are we floating ghosts. We are humans.Kasperanza

:up: We could be both! Neither?! :chin:

The modern mind-body problem arose out of the scientific revolution of the seventeenth century, as a direct result of the concept of objective physical reality that drove that revolution. — Thomas Nagel, Mind and Cosmos, Pp 35-36

:up: The thing about science, from the little that I know of it, is that it's basically about finding the right mathematical model that fits/explains the observational data. Look how observations of gravity match the mathematical construct known as Minkowski space-time. Maths features in the top 10 list of abstract entities which are, from what I hear, uncontroversially nonphysical.
  • TheMadFool
    Do you really have to post YouTube videos MF? Do you think we’re all pre-schoolers? :brow:Wayfarer

Sorry, I find audiovisuals pack more punch than plain words on a computer screen.
  • 180 Proof
    You've missed the point. I don't claim that anything is nonphysical.TheMadFool
    No I haven't and yeah you have. Don'tl lie, Fool; in the very same paragraph you claim
    if physicalism [ ... ] that which it is not, the nonphysical
    :roll: In my previous post I say how use the term "non-physical".Tell me what you mean by it in the quote here or your OP.
  • bert1
    No, you've misunderstood TMF's point.
  • Wayfarer
    The thing about science, from the little that I know of it, is that it's basically about finding the right mathematical model that fits/explains the observational data.TheMadFool

:up: Hence the correlation with 'positivism' - 'a philosophical system recognizing only that which can be scientifically verified or which is capable of logical or mathematical proof, and therefore rejecting metaphysics and theism.' Corresponds with the majority of posters on this forum.
  • TheMadFool
    Hence the correlation with 'positivism' - 'a philosophical system recognizing only that which can be scientifically verified or which is capable of logical or mathematical proof, and therefore rejecting metaphysics and theism.' Corresponds with the majority of posters on this forum.Wayfarer

I thought logical positivism was more about empirical verifiability than the hypotheses/theories themselves. The former - empirical verifiability - is what physicalism is about but the latter - hypotheses/theories - are be abstract mathematical objects, distinctly nonphysical any way you look at it.

The mind, which lies at the heart of the physicalism-nonphysicalism controversy, seems to be playing both sides in a manner of speaking. You do know that a lot of physical entities like many particles were, a long time before they were empirically verified, predicted by the mathematics of hypotheses/theories in physics. The mind seems to be telling us "it's all up here" (finger to temple) and at other times, it ignores this plain and simple truth that every scientist knows by heart and simply refuses to budge an inch on its physicalist beliefs.

Cognitive dissonance? Likely, I bet!

Confusion now hath made his masterpiece. — William Shakespeare
  • Wayfarer
    I thought logical positivism was more about empirical verifiability than the hypotheses/theories themselvesTheMadFool

So, how does empirical verifiability work?

The thing about science, from the little that I know of it, is that it's basically about finding the right mathematical model that fits/explains the observational dataTheMadFool

By finding ‘what fits’.
  • TheMadFool
    So, how does empirical verifiability work?Wayfarer

Suppose, I claim, God exists! Empirical verification of my claim would include sensory & instrumental data that match the claim.

By finding ‘what fits’.Wayfarer

Yes, we look for a match between a mathematics-based hypothesis and empirical data. All this reminds me of adventure movies where a medallion is broken into two halves and at some point the two halves are brought together to form the whole and something magical happens. In the case of science, one piece of the medallion is nonphysical (mathematical models) and the other piece is physical (empirical observation). That's what I'm trying to get across!
  • RussellA
    Either physicalism is true or nonphysicalism is true!TheMadFool

I agree that if one starts with the premise that the physical is different in kind to the nonphysical, then one will conclude that the physical is different in kind to the nonphysical.

Similarly, if one starts with the premise that water is different in kind to ice, then one will conclude that water is different in kind to ice.

However, water and ice are two aspects of the same thing.

Therefore, perhaps the key to understanding the physical and nonphysical is perhaps to treat them as two aspects of the same thing.

If mind-matter are two aspects of the same thing, then there is no paradox.
  • TheMadFool
    If mind-matter are two aspects of the same thing, then there is no paradox.RussellA

Yes you're right. Mind-matter are two aspects of the universe but my concerns are specific to mind - is it physical (matter/energy) or is it nonphysical?
  • Wayfarer
    Suppose, I claim, God exists! Empirical verification of my claim would include sensory & instrumental data that match the claim.TheMadFool

Yeah good luck with that. Invite me to the award ceremony.
  • Wayfarer
    if one starts with the premise that water is different in kind to ice, then one will conclude that water is different in kind to ice.RussellA

That would be an extremely easy hypothesis to falsify.
  • TheMadFool
    Yeah good luck with that. Invite me to the award ceremony.Wayfarer

Paraphrasing Dan Barker (Atheist, Musician), "if someone had proved God exists, fae should've won a Nobel Prize."
  • Olivier5
    something physical (the mind) is trying to connect as it were with that which it is not, the nonphysical.TheMadFool

What exactly do you mean by "physical" and "non-physical"?

As already pointed out by others, these terms mean very little...
  • TheMadFool
    What exactly do you mean by "physical" and "non-physical"?

As already pointed out by others, these terms mean very little...
    Olivier5

I'm employing the standard definitions as they appear in the relevqnt wikipedia pages ( :sweat: ).
  • Enrique
    In the case of science, one piece of the medallion is nonphysical (mathematical models) and the other piece is physical (empirical observation).TheMadFool

The physical world is quantized, ideal mathematical concepts are imaginary exclusions of quantization, equivalent to a unicorn or a leprechaun for pure thought. They are not a nonphysical substance, but rather fictions that prove extremely functional because they optimize precision.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.