• Agustino
    Granted that the chief moderator Baden has chosen to delete my posts discussing New Age with Wayfarer in this thread for being off-topic, I think that in order to ensure fair and equal treatment of all members, these posts below must also be deleted:

What is discussion of Donald Trump doing in a thread about a video which has nothing - zero - to do with it? Furthermore, my discussion of New Age didn't come out of nowhere - in fact it was engaged in by 3-4 people in the first page of the thread. So why were my posts about New Age deleted and not some of those at the beginning of the thread which were also off-topic and had nothing to do with Rohr?
  • Baden
    ...the fact that the conversation took a different turn wasn't the primary reason for the deletions, but the nature and tone of that turn wasBaden
  • Agustino
    What was wrong with the tone and nature of my posts discussing Wayfarer's comments on New Age, that wasn't the case with the posts at the beginning of the same thread? :s I agree with the deletion of all the posts discussing me, but that wasn't one of them at all... :s
  • Baden
    chief moderator BadenAgustino

We don't have a "chief moderator". Or if we do, it's jamalgod.
  • Agustino

Hmm it says on your profile "Administrator"... only you and jamalgod have that, that's why I call you chief. He's the boss, you're the vice-boss ;)
  • Streetlight
    Actually we're all iterations of mod-bot. We're not real people.
  • Baden

Well, because it seemed apparent you didn't have any intention of discussing the OP directly and the trajectory of your comments led to the ensuing ill-tempered argument, I didn't deem it unfair to simply wholly excise you from the conversation. My advice to you (and anyone else) is not to approach an OP unless you have some intention of dealing with it even if you do end up talking about something else. Certainly if the conversation becomes about you, you are likely to lose your contribution and the loss may not be one of surgical precision.
  • Baden
    We're not real people.StreetlightX

That's a relief. :P
  • Wayfarer
    Furthermore, my discussion of New Age didn't come out of nowhere - in fact it was engaged in by 3-4 people in the first page of the thread.Agustino

You may recall, the first time I posted the video, you chimed in with a remark about 'navel gazing' within 30 seconds of it being posted - notwithstanding it's a 30 minute video. That caused me to loose my temper, and make a couple of remarks which I then regretted having made. But this forum software being what it is, I couldn't actually delete them, so I deleted everything, which I suppose was a somewhat childish response.

But then when I posted it again, most of your comments were simply dismissive of the very idea of posting such a video - along the lines of 'can't you see he's a phony?' and 'New Age is all nonsense. What would The Patriarchs make of this'?

Anyway, if you bothered to actually listen to Richard Rohr, you would find that he's quite a scholarly and insightful philosopher and spiritual practitioner. His understanding of 'negative way' theology, contemplation, grace and redemption are profound, in my view. We need more of those kinds of speakers, not less. He runs rings around a lot of the 'prosperity gospel' and conservative evangelical types, in my view (many of whom I am certain would accuse him of heresy.)

As for the New Age - I'm sure Christianity was originally a new age religion (as was Buddhism) and persecuted on those grounds. It is precisely when it became institutionalised (or fossilised) that it begins to become a force for oppression, as much as liberation, as it has demonstrably often been. And I acknowledge that there are narcissistic , superficial and meaningless manifestations of the 'New Age'qua cultural fad, but it's not all that, or only that.
  • Agustino
    You may recall, the first time I posted the video, you chimed in with a remark about 'navel gazing' within 30 seconds of it being posted - notwithstanding it's a 30 minute video.Wayfarer
    Yes. So what? How's that a "big deal"? How is someone posting two words "naval gazing :-O " a big deal? First of all, it was a simple joke, as indicated by the presence of the emoticon itself.

That caused me to loose my temper, and make a couple of remarks which I then regretted having made. But this forum software being what it is, I couldn't actually delete them, so I deleted everything, which I suppose was a somewhat childish response.Wayfarer
    What was there to regret about your remarks? There was nothing "wrong" with them. I still have your answers by the way. So tell me, what was wrong with them, that you felt made them worth deleting?

Maybe I should post some video of Dear Leader Trump at his magnificent campaign rally yesterday, comrade?

Also interesting that you made that judgement before you possibly could have watched any of it. That is what is called (warning - big word coming up) - prejudice.
    I felt nothing wrong with them - didn't feel insulted, didn't feel anything - they were actually quite funny to tell you the truth.

If you want a post deleted, you can just edit it, write "DELETE" instead of its comment and a mod will come around and delete it. But instead you deleted everything, and then transformed yourself into the political weapon of political correctness:
    That this happens was demonstrated in the shout box by a poster removing his link rather than have to read the vitriol that ensued.

And there were in fact worse than this. I was accused of bullying, being sadistic, and worse. And why? Because of some nonsense, that could all have been avoided if you didn't behave so childishly and make a big fuss out of a small thing (which by the way you now finally admit to) - or equally, allowed others to use you as a weapon to make a big fuss out of it, and introduce authoritarianism and political correctness into the government of these boards. Give me a break - one single post, containing two harmless words, was bullying... If someone deletes their thread after that, it's them who have a problem, not the poor person who posted two words. Maybe I should also start deleting my threads when someone disagrees with me, and go crying and protesting about how "bullied" I am, and turn myself into the weapon of others who have a political agenda to enforce. And I could really claim bullying with people like Hanover, Benkei, and Arkady - all three who supposedly have placed me on "ignore" and hence supposedly don't even see what I'm posting, and yet still never cease taking the occasion to throw shit when they can - in fact I have proof of them three interjecting in multiple different threads for no other purpose than to throw shit. They should be ashamed of themselves to tell you the truth, as well as all those people who are so concerned about bullying and never take action against that behaviour, leading to a situation where I have to defend myself from their attacks - and then they complain "Oh Agustino, he's so nasty" - give me a break.

Some people should go study what bullying is, because clearly they have no idea. Let me remind everyone (from Wikipedia):

Bullying is the use of force, threat, or coercion to abuse, intimidate, or aggressively dominate others. The behavior is often repeated and habitual. One essential prerequisite is the perception, by the bully or by others, of an imbalance of social or physical power, which distinguishes bullying from conflict
    There is no imbalance of social or physical power between us two - therefore at most there can only be conflict. In fact, I had some people who privately laughed at the entire accusation - more like one of Stalin's show trials than anything else.

'can't you see he's a phony?'Wayfarer
    I never said he's a phony. That wasn't me, that was someone else in actual fact.

'New Age is all nonsense. What would The Patriarchs make of this'?Wayfarer
    Yes, I did say that, but I never claimed he is New Age. In fact in my last post yesterday, I even said I wasn't talking about him at all, as I haven't watched the video and don't know if he is or isn't New Age. I was simply talking of New Age - it's up to others to decide if he is New Age or not.

Anyway, if you bothered to actually listen to Richard Rohr, you would find that he's quite a scholarly and insightful philosopher and spiritual practitioner. His understanding of 'negative way' theology, contemplation, grace and redemption are profound, in my view. We need more of those kinds of speakers, not less. He runs rings around a lot of the 'prosperity gospel' and conservative evangelical types, in my view (many of whom I am certain would accuse him of heresy.)Wayfarer
    That may all be so.

As for the New Age - I'm sure Christianity was originally a new age religion (as was Buddhism) and persecuted on those grounds.Wayfarer
    I don't think so - religions are all similar amongst each other, and neither Christianity nor Buddhism were the first. Sure, a religion can penetrate deeper than another, but that's not to say that they are novel and different - only that they reach deeper.

And I acknowledge that there are narcissistic , superficial and meaningless manifestations of the 'New Age'qua cultural fad, but it's not all that, or only that.Wayfarer
    I find the ideas of New Age - a new global consciousness, bla bla to be nonsense. It's again something seeking to appeal to (1) novelty, and (2) our sense of self-importance, all the while of course preaching selflessness.
  • Baden
    Maybe I should also start deleting my threads when someone disagrees with me, and go crying and protesting about how "bullied" I am...Agustino

I don't remember @Wayfarer mentioning the word "bullying". He doesn't sound intimidated to me, more annoyed, and in any case that wasn't why your posts were deleted. Your posts were deleted because they were disruptive and low quality.
  • Agustino
    I don't remember Wayfarer mentioning the word "bullying". He doesn't sound intimidated to me, more annoyed, and in any case that wasn't why your posts were deleted. Your posts were deleted because they were disruptive and low quality.Baden
    No, but he allowed others to claim that he was bullied, which is a problem.

Your posts were deleted because they were disruptive and low quality.Baden
    Good. You should in the future delete posts from all those people who provoke me as well by being disruptive, insulting and of low post quality - you should watch out for especially Hanover and Arkady (and sometimes Benkei too, although he is a bit more reasonable).
  • Benkei
    Yes. So what? How's that a "big deal"? How is someone posting two words "naval gazing :-O " a big deal? First of all, it was a simple joke, as indicated by the presence of the emoticon itself.Agustino

It's about time you understand those jokes aren't appreciated and that they detract from the user experience of other members. The fact you keep coming back with "I'm joking" or "I'm a provocateur" means you simply have no consideration for how your behaviour affects others. Are you really that self-centered that every time someone takes issue with your behaviour that it's their failure to understand you?
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    There is no imbalance of social or physical power between us two - therefore at most there can only be conflict.Agustino

I would draw your attention to the actual stipulation "perception" of power. There is much evidence that you preach the precepts of your church with a "holier than thou" attitude.
  • Agustino
    I would draw your attention to the actual stipulation "perception" of power. There is much evidence that you preach the precepts of your church with a "holier than thou" attitude.Metaphysician Undercover
    So Wayfarer perceives me as more powerful than him? :s That's so absurd man, we're all equal as far as I'm aware, in terms of power here.
    No, you perceive yourself as the one with power, as is evident from your holier than thou attitude.
  • Agustino
    First, that isn't so - hence why I said we're all equal around here. The fact that I disagree with Wayfarer and think I'm right doesn't mean I think of myself as superior. Secondly, even if it were so, it is irrelevant. The victim has to perceive an imbalance of power between themselves and the bully, not the bully. In actual fact the bully quite often feels, inside, inferior compared to his victim, hence why they are bullies.
    First, that isn't so - hence why I said we're all equal around here.Agustino

What you say, and what you display are distinct.

The victim has to perceive an imbalance of power between themselves and the bully, not the bully. In actual fact the bully quite often feels, inside, inferior compared to his victim.Agustino

Reread your own quote: "One essential prerequisite is the perception, by the bully or by others..."
  • Agustino
    What you say, and what you display are distinct.Metaphysician Undercover
    What I "display" depends to a large degree on how each person interprets it, obviously.

Reread your own quote: "One essential prerequisite is the perception, by the bully or by others..."Metaphysician Undercover
    I see, my bad then.

You should by now have noticed that the holier than thou attitude doesn't get you very far around here. So if it's an act, you might just drop it, because it only makes you appear like a bully.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment