• Baden
    Sorry, I guess we're here:
    Me: I saw some fat unhealthy stupid drug addicts in Atlanta the other day.
    T Clark: That exactly describes white Southerners! You are using unacceptable racial language!
    Me: But why do you presume I was exclusively talking about whites??
    T Clark: I don't have to justify that. Now as I was saying, should this language about white people be acceptable?
    Me: What??
  • James Riley
    On a philosophy forum, it should go without saying that people would do their due dilligence and check with the potentially offensive poster as to what they really mean, before accusing them of racism.baker

:100: :ok:

T Clark was saying that he didn't get "heritage" from the accusations and I was merely pointing out that many a southern racist specifically uses the term "heritage" in defense of his flying the Stars and Bars, etc. In that case, it's a self-own, regardless of what the poster might have meant.
  • Baden

Justify your presumption that this language was exclusively about whites or stop repeating the accusation and retract. Those are your choices. You can't procede without dealing with that.
  • skyblack
    Calling people "racist" doesn't make things better for anyone.T Clark

Then don't call anyone racist Your thread was initially tilled "is racist language acceptable". Listen to your own advice

The contemptuous language in the post won't help solve any problems.T Clark

The accusation of contemptuous language is moot, unless established by reasoning and evidence.

It just makes the poster feel better but makes everything else worse.T Clark

No one is responsible for anyone else's biased reactions. If you feel a sting then you will have to find out the causes and fix it yourself.

Just my cent. Carry on.
  • T Clark
    Justify your presumption that this language was exclusively about whites or stop repeating the accusation and retract. Those are your choices.Baden

I've had my say about that in my previous responses to your posts.
  • Outlander
    I don't understand what this has to do with this thread.T Clark

This thread, yet not especially the OP, is as Disturbed coined a "Land of Confusion" it would seem.
  • T Clark
    Then don't call. Your thread was initially tilled "is racist language acceptable".skyblack

I was wondering about that. I guess the title was changed without my knowledge. I think the original language was "Is this racial language acceptable." "Racial" and "racist" are not the same thing.
  • Baden

No, you've avoided it and you don't get to do that. If you make an accusation, you need to justify it, or retract or it is presumed unfounded. If someone starts a thread accusing you of racist (or euphemistically "racial") language, you'll be done the same honour. We can't have people running around making threads about each other based on accusations they're not willing to back up with any evidence, can we?
  • James Riley
    I think there are two questions here 1) Do different rules apply to white people because of historical conditions and 2) Is the derogatory, contemptuous language used in the post acceptable.T Clark

I think different rules do apply to some white people, as the "offending" post specified. I think the derogatory, contemptuous language used in the post may be acceptable. In fact, it should probably be combined with a heavy dose of ostracization (cancel culture, consequences). Had we executed total war during and after the Civil War, it's quite probable that we would not now be dealing with these issues. In fact, playing nice, putting it behind us, bygones, etc. may very well be the offending culprit in our current national division.

As we approach Memorial Day, we might reflect on all the men who died killing Confederate racist slavery-supporting enemies of the United States, and how "playing nice" essentially takes a big greasy shit on their graves.
  • T Clark
    No, you've avoided it and you don't get to do that. If you make an accusation, you need to justify it, or retract or it is presumed unfounded. If someone starts a thread accusing you of racist language, you'll be done the same honour.Baden

I'm not going to justify my statements further. I'm also not going to retract them.

Again, I haven't accused anyone of using racist language. "Racist" is not a word I use.
  • DingoJones

Baden is right T Clark, the portion you quoted isn’t racist. As Baden pointed out the mention of “white” was about people who believe jesus was white not white people.
    It would be analogous to calling a BLM activist a black crusader or something. I don’t think that would be racist and I don’t think it would get deleted or a person banned for saying so but I could be wrong.
    Baden, would I be moderated for calling Malcolm X a black crusader?

T Clark, I agree that there is racism against white people that is hypocritical and socially acceptable. Academically there is open and accepted racism against white people as well, as when racism is defined as “prejudice plus power”.
    I think you see this too, but in this case I think your sensitivity to it is clouding your view. Perhaps your anger has the best of you here because Baden is right, your position here hasn’t held up to scrutiny.
  • skyblack
    people running aroud making threads about each otherBaden

A disgusting and despicable thing to do.
  • Baden
    I'm not going to justify my statements further. I'm also not going to retract them.T Clark

OK, well, your accusations are unfounded then. Don't make any further threads like this.
  • fdrake
    It reads like a broad spectrum stereotype shotgun to me, not specific to whites. There's definitely some hillbilly white trash in it, but it has a full body of offence with hints of sex worker stereotypes, fat shaming, religious stereotypes which provide it a complicated non-racializing body of offence. There are notes of systemic critique throughout the flavour profile, and the aftertaste is rooted in class analysis.

Overall on the fdrake prejudice against whites scale, it gets somewhere between a phantom and a fart.
  • Hanover
    The question that T Clark could ask is why the prejudicial sterotyping of Southerners is acceptable but it wouldn't be for African Americans. Those reasons might include the limited oppression Southerners have faced historically compared to blacks, but at least that question can be gleaned from the OP as opposed to the white question.

For my part, the anti-southern sentiment in the post doesn't really bother me because it sounds like an old grandpa rant, cursing an unnuanced caricature that doesn't actually exist., but that represents all that is wrong in the world.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.