• thewonder

There was something odd that I did in the past, which was to leave Jefferson Airplane's Surrealistic Pillow on display in my room and unwittingly organize the rest of it to go with it. I think that a partial purpose of dreaming is to process information. I had effectively habituated myself to find myself within situations where I would find people who liked Surrealistic Pillow. In retrospect, I should have done this with John Lennon's Imagine.

Despite that, I feel like I must have had some reason to immerse myself within the ethereal language of the aesthetic of my room and wonder if I haven't done something similar with my rapid reading.

I think that reading at an exceptional rate lets you pick out certain concepts to create an understanding of rather quickly. It teaches you how to be quick witted and inventive. The experience, however, is somewhat manic. Though a partial symptom of the chemical composition of my brain, I found that my thoughts were often disorganized and that I had difficulty formulating any theory that even bore the semblance of coherence. It teaches you to think very quickly, but not to process information well.

Another thing that I noticed, however, was that I did seem to somehow absorb the information, despite that I would often quickly forget what I had immediately read. I even somewhat intentionally read through a few texts like this for the sole purpose of absorbing the information as such. The latter half of Bracha L. Ettinger's The Matrixial Borderspace is a good example of this. I understood all too well that I could not understand the text with what rudimentary knowledge I had of Lacanian psychoanalytic theory about a hundred pages in, but merely finished it so as to somehow embed the information within my psyche.

I now wonder if I didn't have some sort of reason for conditioning myself as such as well. There are certain habits that I've developed that I've both come to be skeptical of and trust that most would take to be indicative of some form of neurosis or another. I know, for instance, that, when I talk for considerable length that it is because I don't know what it is that I am trying to figure out. That I talk for considerable length, however, kind of poses a serious predicament, as it has the effect of isolating me from most of the rest of society, which, I think, is kind of a paradox, as, somehow, I'm usually ultimately trying to figure out how it is that I can feel welcome within society. Being said, the habit of rapid reading which I have since abandoned, I suspect, was not wholly indicative of madness and does bear some form of rationale. As to what that is, I can only guess.
  • Banno
    What I expect to have happened here is that Banno agrees with my assessment of the usage of the term and has chalked up his insinuation to colloquial speech in order to save face.thewonder
    In so far as he cares, which is little, Banno thinks your interpretation eccentric, and your offence feigned.
  • thewonder

I have said more than once that I took no offense, though you are correct of my idiosyncrasies.
  • Jack Cummins

It's funny how we all do things in different stages and ways. Even though you think that it sounds as if I was advanced to be interested in psychology and philosophy when I was 13, I don't think anyone thought that I was advanced at all. I probably spent more time in the library trying to avoid getting beaten up in the playground. I didn't find many who I could discuss my interest in the mind with, and most people thought I was about 12 when I was 18.

I'd say it adolescence, and all the angst, messed up my own reading for quite some time, and I was extremely at a Catholic school, but sex, drugs and rock'n'roll was there as a subtext. The most interesting exercise I was ever set was in Religious Studies, where we asked to write our own spiritual autobiography. I found that it really got me thinking about my own inner dialogue with ideas.

I do read science fiction, but not until after university, when I found a way into it in the form of cyberpunk and fantasy writing, such as Marion Zimmer Bradley and Ursula L Gunn. I do think that science fiction is able to address a lot of philosophical issues in such a lively way.
  • Heracloitus
    I think most ppl nowadays, especially philosophers, are conformistsTodd Martin

There are plenty of philosophy professors in academics, but not many philosophers.
  • Jack Cummins

I may not follow through with Lacan's ideas, and hope that your reading on Lacan was not wasted. I knew someone who used to write about Lacan and her writing was so hard to follow.

I think that the diverse areas of psychoanalysis are fascinating. I do think that Freud was an extremely interesting writer as well and worth reading, even if to just end up disagreeing with him. My favourite book by him is, 'The Origins of the Uncanny'. I don't read so much psychoanalysis now, but I have read a fair amount already because I studied art psychotherapy, and this focuses on the psychodynamic approach. I think that the ideas of Melanie Klein are interesting, especially her ideas on splitting, and for considering the psychology of projection, including projected hatred. I would like to explore this more.

But, of course, we have to narrow our focus down because it is not possible to read everything, and to try to do so, would probably result in complete confusion and chaos in thinking.
  • Manuel

Well Žižek is entertaining and sometimes says interesting things and he's a Lacanian. But learning about Lacan for me didn't help me with Žižek. I don't think it was a waste of time necessarily, one finds out what roads not to follow.

Agreed with what you say about not being able to read everything, it would be a total mess in terms of not being able to establish your own thinking because too many ideas are clashing in your head.
  • Jack Cummins

I believe that the way in which the subliminal affects us is complex. It is interesting to hear about you wondering about the way displaying the cover of 'Surrealistic Pillow' had. When I was going through a dark period I had loads of posters of metal bands, like Slipknot, Metallica and Korn over the wall. I was also listening to that music and was unsure what this was doing to me on a subliminal level. I do still listen to dark metal music at times, but try to be a bit balanced because I do think music, art and books affect us subliminally. I do read dark fantasy, like Stephen King and Poppy Z Brite, but I am aware that it all affects our subconscious, and I certainly pay attention to dreams.
  • T Clark
    probably spent more time in the library trying to avoid getting beaten up in the playground.Jack Cummins

I also spent vast amounts of time in the library. I grew up in southern Delaware and then we moved to southern Virginia. I spent some summers on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and in Vermont. In all those, places, the library is one of the things I remember most. In the Massachusetts town I live in now, we have a decent little library with access to books from a dozen other libraries. The same is true for electronic books, so I rarely have to pay to read Kindle books anymore. I don't know if they have it where you are, but Libby is a great app that allows you to borrow Kindle and other electronic books from many libraries. You should also check out Hoopla. I do love libraries - and books.

I do think that science fiction is able to address a lot of philosophical issues in such a lively way.Jack Cummins

With that opening, I'll recommend "NPC" by Jeremy Robinson. It is the most philosophical science book I've read. Also well written. If you happen to be a member of Amazon Unlimited, it's free.
  • T Clark
    I, now, tend to read texts fairly slow with kind of a lot of deliberation.thewonder

I have found that reading a book on Kindle has made a big difference in the depth of my reading. Being able to get the definition of a word or name or look it up on the web, Wikipedia, or Google Earth has really helped make my reading more satisfying. I sometimes find myself going off on a tangent for 15 minutes before I finally get back to the text. I have a hard time reading paper books these days. I always miss the access to background information.
  • T Clark
    I think that the diverse areas of psychoanalysis are fascinating.Jack Cummins

Are you familiar with Christopher Lasch. He was a very good writer on social and political philosophy. He came at social issues from a psychoanalytic perspective.
  • T Clark
    I think that reading at an exceptional rate lets you pick out certain concepts to create an understanding of rather quickly. It teaches you how to be quick witted and inventive. The experience, however, is somewhat manic.thewonder

Woody Allen has a joke:

I took a course in speed reading. Now I can read "War and Peace" in 20 minutes. It involves Russia.
  • Jack Cummins

I have not read any writing by Christopher Nasch, but I did come across his ideas about the culture of narcissism in sociology and I am sure that it a very valid critique.

As for Kindles, I think that they are wonderful but I have experienced a few problems. The first one I had was a paperwhite one and the battery stopped charging properly. I took it into a computer shop and the man there told me that he would change the battery. When I went back, he said he couldn't get it back together and he needed to get a part from America. I kept phoning him and he told me that the part was in customs and when it arrived it didn't fit. So, he decided to order a Kindle from Scotland and take it apart for the correct bit. Eventually, that arrived and the transplant surgery took place on my Kindle. However, when I went to collect it the light had stopped working and after the man tried to repair that, he discovered that it had lost its memory.

The man in the shop ordered a new one and managed to transfer my all my books onto the
    new one, which my mum named 'Lord Fire.' At this moment, Lord Fire is working fine, but one slight problem is that some of my older books won't open any longer, which is a bit frustrating. But, I do believe that Kindles are a revolution in reading, especially being able to carry around a whole library, unlike carrying heavy books.
  • thewonder

Though I am loathe to cite arguments either in favor of censorship or assume that young people are made of clay, there are grains of truth, I think, to that certain forms of media do have kind of psychological effect. I found for gunning down terrorists in the desert in Call of Duty to, to some extent, reinforce negative depictions of Arabs within American media and to desensitize me to the violence of fourth-generation warfare. If you become aware of such things, however, you can kind of deprogram what is untenable of what certain kinds of media teach you to do so as to be able to enjoy it.
  • thewonder

We must have varying reading styles, as though I kind of feel like its a waste of paper, I can pay attention to anything that isn't printed on a page. I used to have an entire file cabinet of books and articles that I had printed out.

That's a good Woody Allen joke, by the way.
  • T Clark
    That's a good Woody Allen joke, by the way.thewonder

I'll tell Woody you said so.
  • T Clark
    But, I do believe that Kindles are a revolution in reading, especially being able to carry around a whole library, unlike carrying heavy books.Jack Cummins

The really important thing for me is the ease of looking up information directly on the page. Also - I don't use a Kindle. I read on my cell phone. It's always with me.
  • Jack Cummins

I like to keep my options open for reading in all different ways and I still do like books, as in traditional books. My mother laughs when I speak about paper books, and there are many people who don't wish to use anything other than paper books. Sometimes, I do find that it is easier to locate specific passages in them by flicking through pages rather than on devices.

I am also aware of some people who keep books more as objects on shelves than to read them, although this seems a bit odd to me. It makes them more like pieces of collectable objects, or even like items of furniture.

As far as my phone is concerned, I am getting so used to writing on it, and, find it quicker to do than writing in a notebook. I know some people who are getting to the point where they find it hard to physically write with a pen any longer. It must be that they lose the muscle memory of writing with a pen. I do feel that even the wording of my writing appears a bit different depending on whether I am writing with pen and paper, or onto a device. It is so much easier to edit on a phone or tablet. But, I like to keep all the options available for both writing and reading.
  • Jack CumminsAccepted Answer

I read your answer and have been wondering about it because it seems that you are querying our purpose in philosophy. I can see that there may be attempts to turn black into white, and many other shallow solutions. Part of my problem with what you are saying is a possible implication of your post to mean that we should only engage in philosophy if what we are saying is so distinct as to stand out and be worthy of publication.

If we should only engage if we are at that point in our life where we feel that what we are saying is so important doesn't that mean that we would be shut out from all discussion of philosophy at all?I am not convinced that philosophy should just be left in the hands of the experts, and we are able to develop our knowledge of it through discussion of our own reading, rather than just remaining silently alone with our thoughts.
  • T Clark
    My mother laughs when I speak about paper books, and there are many people who don't wish to use anything other than paper books.Jack Cummins

A few months ago, I was reading a paper book after not having read one for a while. I came across a word I wasn't familiar with and pushed on the page with my finger to get the definition.

I am also aware of some people who keep books more as objects on shelves than to read them, although this seems a bit odd to me.Jack Cummins

I get a lot of the Kindle books I read from the library or Kindle Unlimited. If I come across a book I really like, I sometimes will buy a paper copy to keep. That's mostly because I want to thank the author, although I do like the look of a bookshelf with lots of books on it.
  • Anand-Haqq

. Look friend ...

. I think you already know What I do say about it ...

. But ... I would like to tell you ... that ...

. Reading is important ... but ... as a means. Reading is important ... as the mother is important ... tremendously important ... when a child is trying to take his first step ... right?

. But ... please ... don't make reading an end. Don't be a so-called intellectual.

. Kahlil Gibran once said, beautifully, in his book "The Prophet" - "You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth" ...

. The same happens friend ... you're a bow ... your reading is an arrow ... but please remember ... the arrow is poiting to the inner truth ... to the ultimate book ... to your inner book ... the knowledge about this inner book ... is not borrowed ... by any philosopher ... by any physicist ... is virgin ... that's the true knowledge ... is given to you by nature ... by tao ... or whatever you want to call it ... right?

. Make your reading a preparation ... for self-realization. Why do I say this? Because ... there's a state much higher than intellectuality ... and unfortunately ... the majority never experienced this state which is beyond any mind activity ... which is beyond any kind of rationalization ... the society does not like when people really know ...

. The key to being human in the highest manner is to be balanced with the mental and emotions. Of course, one with a keep intellect is fortunate for themselves and others if balanced by common sense, compassion, and a general love of life.

. Intellect and intelligence are similar at least in appearance, but only in appearance.

. The intellectual person is not necessarily intelligent and the intelligent person is not necessarily intellectual.

. I'm not an intellectual ...

. You can find a farmer so intelligent that even a very great professor, a very great intellectual, will look like a pygmy in front of him.

. Intuition is frequently the master over the intellect ...
  • Jack Cummins

Thanks for your reply, because, sometimes, while I have ideas and wish to pursue them on the site, I do feel that many prefer to look more to those who are seen as having more expertise and knowledge. I do believe that we are all entitled to express our ideas, and the beauty of this site is that it is not just in the domain of the experts or academic circles.I see reading as important in connection with those who have thought about certain ideas, but I do think that intuition is valuable too.
  • Leghorn
    @Jack Cummins

Your response to my post has caused me to take closer consideration of the notion of “publishing” something...

...in its basic meaning, to publish something is to make it public, to reveal it to everyone and anyone whomsoever. This is, nominally, what we do here in this forum: anyone—at least anyone who is a member—may say whatever he will, and read the same of others—at least of other members...

...so it is not strictly true that what we say here is published; for it does not exactly go out into the general public. This fact lends a certain intimacy to it. I have spoken with several ppl in this forum, and we have exchanged rather personal details of our lives with each other. Were these revealed to the ppl I physically consort with in my geographical community, I might blush before them. This lends, as I have stated, a certain intimacy to conversations had here, and that is just one of the several advantages such a place as this, in the internet ether, has over the solid “real” places we inhabit as corporeal beings. That is why, early on, I resisted the impulse of the moderators to censure and ban certain posts and posters for inappropriate speech: for one of the dearest advantages of this space seems to me to be that one can say openly what he really thinks and feels—no matter how much it offend someone—or anyone.

Such a forum is encountered in The Republic of Plato. Socrates chances upon Adaimantos and Glaucon among others at Cephalus’ house, and when the last of these leaves to perform the ritual sacrifices, the rest are free, under Socrates direction, to debate the best form of government. This is the sort of salutary “publishing” I was NOT speaking of when I said that one should only publish something after long study and reading. The sort of publishing I was speaking of is the sort that Socrates never did: only his disciples dared do so (in writing), and only after they realized that philosophers and philosophy were an endangered species, and needed public support in the form of writings in order to rehabilitate them...

...but that same impulse, a millennium and a half later, encouraged a Machiavelli to publish The Prince—not intimately, just to his friends, but to anyone who could read. The world was becoming a different place: Copernicus and Galileo showed that man and the earth occupied no special place in the cosmos. If man and the planet were to become ordinary, how could any prince or king claim sovereignty?
  • Jack Cummins

You have also got me thinking what it means to get published. One aspect of our writing on this site is that what we write can be seen by the general public because it is online and can be viewed by the public. However, as there is so much on the web and on the site the likelihood of posts we write being read is fairly remote. But, I am consciousness of the fact that what I write being online. At times, I have disclosed about myself in interaction, but I am a bit cautious, because, for example, I am aware that a potential employer could google my name. Generally, I try to write what I can stand by with a certain person of accountability.

The other aspect which I was thinking about was how so many writers are self published. So, just because something is published doesn't in itself give it credibility. I believe that it is fairly easy to publish one's own writing and I know a couple of people who have done this. So, there is plenty of scope for new Machiavelli's really.
  • Jack Cummins

I find that I sometimes forget and almost start clicking on paper books too, especially when I wish to turn pages. I agree that buying books does seem like a good thing because it means paying authors. I think that we are getting to the point where people expect to have books and music for nothing. Of course, we want to be able to have access even if we have not got enough money but I know plenty of people who just assume that they should be able to have free books. Books were freely available in libraries before we were able to get them on devices but the original had been paid for.

I also have found that it is a shame not being able to lend the books which I am reading to others. Funnily enough, even though I believe that Kindles are marvellous, none of my friends have them. They don't read like I do but they do say that they would only wish to read actual books. But, the one thing that I have found is that it is sometimes so much easier to get hold of books by downloading them. I also probably would have never read all the classics which I have done if they had not been available at the click of a switch. It seems almost like magic really.
  • Leghorn
    but I am a bit cautious,Jack Cummins

Well, and so am I. I reveal information about the character of where I live, its general location, my sex and race, certain details of my life that only a few would know, etc. But, of course, I don’t reveal my address, social security number, exact date of birth, etc. There are so many Todd Martins out there in the world, even in the Southern USA, that I don’t really fear anyone stalking me up in here...

...btw, this brings to mind an incident that happened to me a few years ago. I was standing on a street corner smoking a cigarette in the local town here, when I noticed police approaching on foot—not unusual, since the station was across the street, and they come by here frequently on their way to downtown. But they failed to just greet me and pass me by; instead they approached me directly, and one of them asked, “Are you Todd Martin?”

I replied that I was, and was then asked to accompany them down into the alley, to have a talk. I agreed, and followed.

In the alley I found myself opposite three police officers, and they began an interrogation: where did I live, what was I doing here, had I posted anything recently online, etc. I answered everything honestly, since I knew I had nothing to hide. As I spoke with them, I continued to smoke my cigarette, but I had nothing to do with my other hand, so I stuck it in my pocket. “Please, take your hand out of your pocket”, I was sternly admonished, which task I slowly and carefully accomplished. I was aware of the holstered pistols on three hips...

...soon my cigarette was finished, and I cast the butt aside onto the pavement. Now I had nowhere to put two hands, and, without thinking, began to slip them both into their respective pockets...”Please take your hands out of your pockets,” I was told by the middle cop: “you’re making me nervous!”...

...looking back on that moment, I realize how lucky I was to be a well-mannered unbelligerant white guy: a recalcitrant black fellow in the south would probably have had pistols drawn on him, if not fired. At any rate, I was finally asked to produce my ID...which was in my back pocket in my wallet; so, I slowly reached my hand back and slowly pulled it out, took out the card, and offered it them. The middle cop took it, looked it over, glanced at me and said, “Well, it looks like you’re not the Todd Martin we’re looking for”, and they took their leave of me...

...but not without apology: the middle cop asked for my phone number, said he would contact me after he had done a little research. Soon after, he called me, and invited me to join him in his office at the station, which I did...

...in his office, into which he graciously invited me, I sat opposite him as he described how a certain Todd Martin had posted threats against him on Facebook. He showed me the threats on his computer, and a picture of the guy (he looked nothing like me). Then he began detailing to me how these threats had caused him to contract high blood pressure, go to doctors; how they had disrupted his family life, etc. I felt sorry for the guy, a police lieutenant about to retire, and now faced with this! Just an hour ago he stood opposite me as an enemy...and now I sat opposite him as a confidante...I’m certain, had I been a dreadlocked belligerent black man, I would never have been invited as a friend into a police lieutenant’s office...

...so that, I suppose, is a commentary on having a certain name, being a certain sort of human being, and having a certain rather perilous occupation from which you are about to retire...if only you can save your skin so long. I suppose it is also a commentary on current race relations.
  • Jack Cummins

Your experience points to the way in which people often make assumptions based on such a limited basis. I know that people don't assume that I am interested in philosophy and reading when they meet me because I can look a bit scruffy, especially when I am wearing my baseball cap.

But, I have found that people sometimes object to me reading and writing in pubs. I have experienced comments like, 'This is not a library' and I even got asked to leave once for writing in a pub. But, it is hard to find quiet places to read, and even in my local library there are so many children activities going on that it can be so noisy.

But, going back to the general topic, I do believe that this site is one way of thinking about our reading, because, otherwise, it can become an isolative experience. However, I do think it is good to not be influenced too much by certain people's ideas and interpretations, especially when they become dogmatic.
  • Leghorn
    I am aware that a potential employer could google my name.Jack Cummins

Out of curiosity I just Googled my own name. Of course, the famous tennis player topped the list, and I was a tournament player in my own day; but I didn’t win the NCAA championship, and never made it to the finals of the US Open. Of the other Todd Martins there I can only say that I am much better looking than most of them, even in my late middle age...but it is heartening to see that THIS Todd Martin, ie, me, am not included among the many dozens of first ppl with that same name listed on Google. I kept tapping the “see more results” icon over and over only to discover that, if someone wanted to find me through that search engine, they’d have to do a lot of searching and spend a lot more time than I was willing to.

And here is a funny thing: I did not intend to make my user name in this forum my real one. When I first signed up to join TPF, I was asked my name. I typed in my real one, assuming I would be asked later what I wished my proxy one to be. But then I discovered, to my dismay, that my actual name became my user- one!

But my dismay soon turned into equanimity as I realized that others here, like you, have posted photos of themselves and gone by what seems to be their actual names. Those who so dare, either by mistake or design, must consider themselves to be nobodies; ie, ppl no one would want to research or track down for any reason, either as a potential employee, or as someone they want to get even with.
1234Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.